Season 2020 & the money if cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

It could be an unique opportunity for some sports if they can stay playing. Heard the NBL had its highest ratings for the year for Sunday's game for example. Sports lovers of the world will be wanting to watch any sport and might watch things they don't normally. They got to fill hours of programming after all.

The a-league has nothing to lose really. Tv ratings can't get lower With its biggest competition out of play(EPL), it could get in those guys who love soccer but snob the local league. If they can continue (big if), they be one of few soccer leagues continuing in any way

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

As long as the advertisers keep paying, FTA might even turn a profit.

The longer the situation lasts, the more we are likely to see these kinds of calls coming from industry in general.

The limits on a currency-issuing government are not financial. It can spend in nominal terms without limit (which is not to say that it should). The relevant questions concern real resource availability (i.e. what consequences will the government support have on the overall level of spending in the economy relative to the economy's capacity to supply output in a timely fashion) and distributive/equity/public purpose considerations (e.g., to the extent the federal government provides support to industry, who will get it and on what basis? etc).

Some of the same people who like to pretend that a currency issuer is "out of money" when it comes to government support for the unemployed and disadvantaged or public funding of education, health care or the ABC are likely to be among the first to call for government largess when it suits their interests.

In an emergency statement, RBA governor Philip Lowe said in response to a deterioration of trading liquidity in some markets as Australia’s financial system adjusts to the coronavirus, the central bank “stands ready to purchase government bonds in the secondary market to support the smooth functioning of that market, which is a key pricing benchmark for the Australian financial system.”

While not mentioning it specifically, the RBA’s statement points to a form of quantitative easing, a form of unconventional monetary policy whereby a central bank adds liquidity to the financial system by buying government securities or other financial assets.

In an emergency statement, RBA governor Philip Lowe said in response to a deterioration of trading liquidity in some markets as Australia’s financial system adjusts to the coronavirus, the central bank “stands ready to purchase government bonds in the secondary market to support the smooth functioning of that market, which is a key pricing benchmark for the Australian financial system.”

While not mentioning it specifically, the RBA’s statement points to a form of quantitative easing, a form of unconventional monetary policy whereby a central bank adds liquidity to the financial system by buying government securities or other financial assets.

There has also been talk of the reserve bank going to *negative* interest rates in order to encourage banks to reduce their rates and keep lending.

Many businesses (including sporting ones, like AFL clubs) are going to have major revenue hits in the months ahead and will be screwed unless their lines of credit get expanded, and their interest payments eased. Even with this though, banks will probably be making a lot of assessments on businesses abilities to recover.

The buzz phrase of contemporary collective bargaining in sport is "revenue share". It is now taken for granted that players will gain a substantial proportion of the revenue their game generates.

So as sport bleeds money, does revenue share also apply when the money pile collapses

Thats a fair question as posed by the ABCs Richard Hinds

In such uncertain times one reality will inevitably emerge: Even wealthy sports are going to take a massive hit and someone will have to pay.

I’ll be applying for a full refund of my membership first thing today.

Over the past decade, in the AFL particularly, there has been a strong sense of membership-shaming, with club propaganda designed to suggest you are not a real fan if you don't buy a membership — regardless of your financial circumstances, your lifelong commitment or even your ability to attend the games for which you are hectored into subscribing.

It would be unfortunate if the same baked-on fans who have been made to feel their membership investment is compulsory are also shamed should they ask for a refund.

Is that you WWSD? Will shame come your way? ;)

There are multiple parts to a membership, though. The membership of the clubs, and then the access to a reserved seat, for instance. If you couldn't attend a game because there were fewer home games, then fair enough - but for a full refund of membership? That's going too far, IMO.

I won't be. It will be interesting to see the figures at the end of the season (i.e share of each membership that asks for a refund). Clubs with more blue bloods like Hawthorn I suspect will have higher refund requests

I won't be. It will be interesting to see the figures at the end of the season (i.e share of each membership that asks for a refund). Clubs with more blue bloods like Hawthorn I suspect will have higher refund requests

The AFL arent forthcoming on membership info beyond the P155n comp.

AFL clubs may lose $10m as Round 1 decision looming large with two days to go

$10m eh?

...... recruiters could be under the most pressure to keep their jobs with less under age and state league football to watch. Regrettably, the official said, clubs will not be able to sustain employees if they are not adding to the business.

Recruiters, if they aren’t recruiting, would potentially be vulnerable - at least for the 2020 season. In the administration wing of clubs, it’s believed community, events and marketing could come under strain too.

Some clubs had already run the numbers to work out where they can save valuable dollars, while The Herald Sun reported that one club is set to ask staff on six figures to take a 10 per cent pay cut.

Brisbane Lions chief executive Greg Swann says if the 2020 AFL season is played entirely behind closed doors it would cost the club up to $5 million.

"If you're gonna strip five games per club from the broadcasters, you need to give them something back.

"I think quite likely there'll be five, six, seven games of the week. So you're looking for a marquee game every night.

"There has to be a way for the broadcasters to recoup the $200 million each they've put into the AFL season. Whether it's going to be a five-week finals series – I know Gill said it'd only be four, but I think there's potentially a sting in the tail there."

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not asking for a refund. My club means more to me that a few dollars!
I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't ask for a refund is an absolute goose. You're talking about clubs who are under a multi million dollar corporation in which everyone is overpaid, and more than likely paid more than yourself. Nothing will happen to clubs through this, and they would be bailed out worst case. If you want to do good, ask for a refund and send it to charity, so that those who are less fortunate can have something to live for.

Ditch the sentimental attitude of supporting 'your club', because all 'your club' is, is a brand which constitutes a bunch of administrators and athletes who are already handsomely paid. All your 'support' is going into their pockets. This isn't local footy these clubs don't need financial support other than that of supporters who go to the games and exchange their money for a seat. Your seat is no longer there so do your due diligence and take your money back. It doesn't cost money to love your team and its history.

Last edited:
If matches were to be suspended, the rivers of broadcast rights gold would be in danger of drying up.

And when it comes to total revenue, TV is the lifeblood for both big winter codes.

EMBED: The major football codes have varying levels of income and cash reserves

Given the sheer size of these broadcasting arrangements, and the clubs' fixed costs, an extended hiatus would be catastrophic.

Just one year of broadcast revenue is by itself more than either code's cash reserves. That means that without even factoring in any other commercial impacts, neither could cover the loss of its broadcast money without having to beg or borrow.

The sort of financial losses associated with the coronavirus crisis in sport are eye-watering.

In rugby league, for instance, every round is worth $14 million to the NRL in television rights from Fox Sports and the Nine Network. So every round lost is $14m the game doesn’t get.

Throw in another $5.5 million in ticket sales, corporate hospitality, merchandise, ground signage and food and beverage income.

Plus there is the $10 million Telstra naming rights sponsorship deal.

The figures for the AFL are similar, just a little bigger.

Yes the NBL has the AFL right where it wants it.....
That was exactly the situation the NBL (and NBA even) had Australian Rules in thirty-five years ago, when a hegemonic road lobby was decimating a sport whose revenue was almost entirely based upon attendances and an increasing proportion of the population could not attend because of zero weekend public transport and the impossibility of adequate car parking. Yet, the NBL collapsed once the AFL adopted its game to television – as we are seeing with CTE, at likely non-negligible cost.
Brutal decisions to cut expenditure (such as non-player football department and game development) now and for future years will have to be made.

I don't know the in and outs of the contracts but many of the AFL and club sponsors will be seeking their money back or not making instalment payments.
In my opinion, people discussing the impact of playing AFL behind closed doors due to COVID-19 are overlooking problems with the development of the game and of the league’s future players.

The state leagues of SANFL, WAFL, VFL and NEAFL will – at the very least – not play until June as they have no large TV revenues to afford playing behind closed doors. I have already read evidence that a cancelled season or even a single-round 9-game season would potentially end at least the WAFL (as we know it). More importantly for the long-term health of Australian football, I was told by my mother that most junior leagues have already cancelled their competitions entirely, and I imagine a lost season would prove tougher to make up for junior players than for senior ones. Then there is the issue of cutting game development, as you have already mentioned.

Eddie was saying on AFL 360 that Collingwood's membership sales had spiked up in the last few days.

So maybe some supporters want to try and help their clubs during these testing times!

.... McLachlan and AFL commission chairman Richard Goyder had opened talks with Victorian premier Daniel Andrews about sourcing a line of credit to keep the league afloat.

“There won’t be a hand out, because the state of Victoria has to look after itself,” McGuire said. “But there are other mechanations that can come into play. There might be a line of credit to help save the AFL and get through not just this year — this is going to take 10 years to get through.”

So maybe some supporters want to try and help their clubs during these testing times!
It’s interesting to note that during World War I and World War II, fans continued to help county cricket clubs when no matches were played from 1915 to 1918 and from 1940 to 1945. In fact, it is likely that Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire and Somerset would have folded entirely but for the reduced costs from not playing matches during World War I, as all those clubs were in dire financial straits due to declining attendances in the seasons before the First World War.

Applying this fact to football is of course impossible and utterly illogical. Firstly, there was no television or even radio broadcasting in 1914, and hopes of increased television (and perhaps radio) broadcast revenue is a major reason the AFL feels it can play behind closed doors (I imagine possibly even doing so after COVID-19 subsides if it does) and possibly not lose any revenue from the lack of gate money. Secondly, patronage and donations are not of the importance to sport now that they were in the days of pre-World War I county cricket, and with higher taxes than under the gold standard the ruling and middle classes are much less able to donate to private philanthropy than was possible under the restricted democracies (as named by Dietrich Rüschemeyer) of the era before World War One.

The financial devastation wrought by the coronavirus crisis will leave most AFL clubs reliant on special assistance from the league in order to survive when Australia comes out the other side of the pandemic.
A day after Collingwood president Eddie McGuire likened the havoc caused by the coronavirus to a “nuclear bomb” going off for the AFL, at least one senior administrator expressed concern that even Melbourne’s biggest clubs would struggle to survive without significant help.

The Victorian-based administrator, who spoke on the condition of anonymity*, suspected only West Coast might have enough reserves to survive the devastating impact in their own right.

Amid the broader health catastrophe, clubs are implementing cost-cutting measures as they seek to save between $5 million to $10m this year alone.

* what?

Thers more ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back