Review Round 1, 2020 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing. Didn't take our chances in front of goal and poor positioning around the field (too many people sucked towards the ball) nearly all game. Hawthorn too good.

Yes, I am bitter but here are the AFL Votes:
3. Clarkson - great coaching
2. Umpires - quite influential; inability to award frees in front of our goals; contact below the knees? dropping the ball? Nothing to see here
1. Gill - worst halftime entertainment ever.

As a Victorian supporter I am tired of turning up to games and seeing completely insipid performances. I don’t know why I went to the trouble of catching the train in and spending my hard earned ... oh hang on. 😉
You could have listened to the radio outside the G...

While we’re jumping the gun and overreacting based on one game in weird circumstances; anyone worried Berry might not end up the player we were hoping he would turn into?
I am a big fan of Berry’s, but at times I feel I can see the ceiling on his growth as a player.

Thought Mcstay was good, that effort should see his spot safe for the next few months.......

Marcus Adams... we have got worse ever since he came into the side. One trick pony. Good contested mark. Poor ground skills, slow, slow decision maker, very poor below his knees, no agility at all. With Harris and Adams down back, we are so slow. We were better with Walker as he was far more versatile. Maybe Harris or Adams will need to move forward at times. Moot point now. Hopefully we'll be right in 2021

Pathetic performance against a really average side.
Perhaps we're just a really average side too.

Many clubs in recent years have had outlying seasons like Melbourne in 2018, us in 2009 and possibly us as well last year too.

Until we can actually back it up, we'll be no exception; guess we'll just have to wait a while to find out, but on today's form, I'm not so sure we are any different. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Doesn't look like it matters now Disgusting effort all pre season to play the way the opposition wants you too.Got big heads, blessing 8n disguise that season has stopped.
Oh by the way Rayner laughing with the opposition players after the game tells me where he's at with football.
All good points.

I hate how matey the modern day player is. Loved how much certain players couldn't wait to get in stuck into their opposition back in the day or still what you see in a lot of overseas sports, unlike these days of AFL players.

We carried our form (or game plan) from our finals into this game. The lack of composure and panic hand-passes and kicks was glaring. Our skill level compared to Hawthorn's was of significance. Bomb it forward at all cost appears to be our game plan. Either that or our blokes are just dumb footballers and uncoachable. We had five months to review the game vs GWS and develop something improved, work on our forward entries. Well looks like we'll have another three months before we see if this game was an anomaly.

While we’re jumping the gun and overreacting based on one game in weird circumstances; anyone worried Berry might not end up the player we were hoping he would turn into?
Yep, lacks composure and hasn't come on as much as most of us had projected him to come on. Obviously there is plenty of time, but in his defence, he has lacked continuity since 2018.

Yep, lacks composure and hasn't come on as much as most of us had projected him to come on. Obviously there is plenty of time, but in his defence, he has lacked continuity since 2018.
I don’t know what Jackess said, but I agree with you Dylan.

A disgraceful performance overall. We may have a season to get ourselves right. Let's look to 2021. We must make changes on that pathetic performance. Inconsistency is not what we want. We are along way off at present which is disappointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps we're just a really average side too.

Many clubs in recent years have had outlying seasons like Melbourne in 2018, us in 2009 and possibly us as well last year too.

Until we can actually back it up, we'll be no exception; guess we'll just have to wait a while to find out, but on today's form, I'm not so sure we are any different. Hopefully I'm wrong.
100%. We played like an average side today. It’s a shame the season is basically done, now we don’t know if today was going to be the norm or if it was a lapse in our abilities for one day.

I'm not reading too much into today . Lots of guys in all the games I've watched half looked like they didn't really want to be there . 16 minute quarters , like a practice game really.

On what we saw today our disposal under pressure was not good ,kicking for goal ordinary, manning up out of the forward line lax which meant they got far too many easy opportunities. And their skill level was way higher than ours.

And in the end we basically gave up mentally because it wasn't a proper game.

They knew it was over.

Everyone stay safe, look after your families , find something to amuse yourselves with at home and try not to get too down. This will pass all the quicker the more people do what they should do.

I think we just played a bit too high in defence.
And allowed the ball to get out the back far to easily.
Maybe the Hodge factor is already starting to take effect.
We always seemed to have someone at home last year which seemed to be Hodgey most of the time.
Today that wasn’t the case.

And now players go into their own individual preseasons for a couple of months. I would hope every free weight and every dumbbell is packed into players cars tomorrow and taken home, especially the young players. I assume they will all be sent instructions, menus (mostly pasta-free) workout routines etc to do at home.

By the time they return this game will feel like it was from a different season.

It was nice to focus on footy and not the rest of the world for a little while today. I hope you all felt the same.

It was a shame to not see Birch out there. It would have been fitting.

I think we just played a bit too high in defence.
And allowed the ball to get out the back far to easily.
Maybe the Hodge factor is already starting to take effect.
We always seemed to have someone at home last year which seemed to be Hodgey most of the time.
Today that wasn’t the case.
That would've been Birchall.

Back