Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were lucky it was summer here, so less people coughing from normal flu. Also Europe was in football season with its big crowds both at games and in crowded pubs.
We were only in the end of cricket with the big bash finished, Afl just beginning its trials.
Their public transport is also more crowded, and a higher percentage of people use it.

Last edited:

I guess when we abandon the law of the sea and depart civilisation,
Next stop war crimes trail.
Pick a ****** on TV
I'd quite enjoy watching ScoMo on a war crimes trial.

While we got lucky, there must be some other factors at play that actually mean Italy is not going to happen in every country. We certainly didn't lock down quick so maybe weather and other factors will make the virus less contagious than first expected. The sky is falling people should eventually get the message or just hold out for another two weeks.

The sky was never falling, it never falls and nobody claimed this metaphorically.

We are arguing the principle. I know this is simplistic but if you stopped everyone moving for four weeks in Australia, the virus would die. Of course that's nigh on impossible but even a two week complete lockdown in the first week of March would result in near eradication.

And it's not hope, it's not a miracle, but if that had been done we wouldn't be sitting in a house for half year not knowing what restrictions to ease or if it's safe. No stimulus package needed and profiting with best and quickest strategy over the rest of the world as they deal with their too late scenario.

SARS vaccines were in trial but went no further because by that point there was little further call. Given this virus is related to SARS, itself a coronavirus, I imagine (with no background) those would be the starting points if the new virus is related closely enough.
Apparently eighteen months would require significant fast-tracking, even assuming a vaccine went to human trial soon. Fast-tracking seems quite possible in some places.

People keep repeating this 18 months thing not knowing that the H1N1 epidemic in 2009 (swine flu) resulted in a vaccine in 9 months. Everything will be thrown at this one, I guarantee it.

We were lucky it was summer here, so less people coughing from normal flu. Also Europe was in football season with its big crowds both at games and in crowded pubs.
We were only in the end of cricket with the big bash finished, Afl just beginning its trials.
Their public transport is also more crowded, and a higher percentage of people use it.

Yes imagine if it hit mid June, start of flu season, and we had AFL and Rugby on. What a mix.

J&J targeting early 2021

As far as I know, this is the first I’ve heard of big pharma getting involved.

Whats especially exciting is the use of the antibodies blood tests to potentially fast track the economy once infection rates increase

In places like China, Western Europe and the USA where infections are probably many multiple times larger than case infections that would be huge and a real game changer for the economic recovery...

People keep repeating this 18 months thing not knowing that the H1N1 epidemic in 2009 (swine flu) resulted in a vaccine in 9 months. Everything will be thrown at this one, I guarantee it.
Time is the problem How do you make human trials go faster but still keep the same level of safety ?

Atm
40 first trial
200 next trial
2000 next trial

That all takes time

Do we maybe skip the first 2 and just go to a massive trial?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time is the problem How do you make human trials go faster but still keep the same level of safety ?

Atm
40 first trial
200 next trial
2000 next trial

That all takes time

Do we maybe skip the first 2 and just go to a massive trial?

Of course it will take time, there's a whole series of trials to go through even if you skip the animal testing and thousands volunteer as guinea pis, but I think those that are peddling the 18 months line are being unnecessarily pessimistic.

Who still thinks they will have a vaccine in 18months?

And who wants to go get it if they do?

Because I know I dont

Honestly?
We have a virus that has the potential to kill millions worldwide in a year, that you can have and not know it and is extremely contagious and you won't get vaccinated from it??

Well firstly, enjoy the view from the inside of your house because I daresay that is all you will be allowed to see until you are vaccinated.

And secondly, research why you don't have Polio...

Honestly?
We have a virus that has the potential to kill millions worldwide in a year, that you can have and not know it and is extremely contagious and you won't get vaccinated from it??

Well firstly, enjoy the view from the inside of your house because I daresay that is all you will be allowed to see until you are vaccinated.

There is no way the vaccine will be mandatory. No *en way. This isn't a communist society.

Honestly?

I think he's just expressing a rushed vaccine could be human guinea pig territory

Honestly?

I hope he was just talking about the risk of a rushed out vaccine which is a fair concern.

Honestly?

Did you watch the video or just comment?

It's about rushing it and the problems involved. I love vaccines rushing them and bypassing the safety protocols to infect millions not smart. I'd rather take my odds with the virus.

Did you watch the video or just comment?

It's about rushing it and the problems involved. I love vaccines rushing them and bypassing the safety protocols to infect millions not smart. I'd rather take my odds with the virus.

Sure, those are pertinent points, but why do you think this one will take more than 18 months when swine flu took 9?

Why is it going to take so much longer than swine flu vaccine?
We already had influenza vaccines it was just a case of tinkering with it, from Wikipedia:

However, about 30% of people already had some immunity to the virus, with the vaccine conferring greatest benefit on young people, since many older people are already immune through exposure to similar viruses in the past.[12] The vaccine also provided some cross-protection against the 1918 flu pandemic strain

We have no immunity to coronvirus and no vaccines to tinker with, we are starting from scratch

Fingers crossed the first ones prove successful and have no side effects and they get it to market,

If they have to keep going back to the lab or if they rush the human trials we are in for a world of more hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back