Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Really enjoying the ability to switch play and patiently build from the back. Move the defensive structure around until you’re happy to go. Got that Eagles game plan down. This beats the hell out of 18 1v1s.

I’ve also found moving the prior opportunity slider to 60 has been a great upgrade. Most things that feel like they should be ball are, and very rarely do you get one that seems stiff.

Nice video. The problem though is when you're kicking down the screen you can't actually see your target, except on the mini map. The kicking (with or without) assistance is too imprecise to trust that you'll hit a semi-blind target, so you have to do it so slowly (as in the video) that by the time you've made the kick the opposition has fully moved over to cover it.

And so it's not a switch in the traditional sense that you quickly throw off the opposition and move down the opposite wing, but rather a kick to kick in defence before ultimately moving out of defence in the same way as one could have at the start (not criticising your play here, just the game mechanics).

Also whilst a side-to-side camera does help making switches a bit, it makes it impossible to see more than ~ 30 metres ahead.

I think an end-to-end camera with a rotatable camera option (like from kick outs), at least when you've taken a mark, would make this game sooooo much better and make quick switches possible.

So he's being criticized by one side for being ambiguous and not commenting on the game but now he's being criticized because he didn't comment on the game? So basically there's no winning.

F*** me dead.

My apologies for not answering this (because I missed it) but when I saw it I had to re-read it a couple of times... And this statement makes no sense? You've just said the same thing twice? There's no winning or losing in this context because it's essentially the same thing. It's got me f**ked?

Also, I would never criticise Ross for making a comment - even if I didn't agree with it. I might argue a point, or I just might say to myself "Yeah, whatever" and not bother. The problem is that some people on here just think that their s**t don't stink, which is delusional.

Although I love playing Cricket19 and have spent, maybe, 400 hours on it, there are still annoying issues with that game as well. For instance you just nick the ball and it goes to the boundary. In real life that can happen from time to time, but in that game it ALWAYS happens, which is unrealistic. Another issue is that - many more times than not - when the new ball is taken it goes to a spinner? WTF? When does that ever happen in real life? Also, when I've just bowled a ball I can't move - at all - for about a second. That's the most frustrating thing for me (well, besides the constant boundary nicks). While I'm at it, I've never understood why you (as a bowler) can be taken off during limited over games when you're clearly the most economical bowler BY FAR. There have been scores of occasions where my economy rate is less than 2 an over during T20 matches and I only get 2 or 3 innings. Isn't the idea to limit the runs as well as take wickets?

I could also add that, in real life, cricket balls do not "phase through" cricket bats, like they can do in that game. But you get over these things and enjoy the game for what it is. It's not perfect, but it is a great cricket game. The best in my opinion - and I've played a lot of them!

So he's being criticized by one side for being ambiguous and not commenting on the game but now he's being criticized because he didn't comment on the game? So basically there's no winning.

F*** me dead.

Even worse when it's another undercover WW employee calling me out! (Dude needs to re-word his posts so it at least sounds like he's been to a game or two and not a Dev LMAO!) Better luck next time

Wasn't going to post again but WW keep dragging me back in.... my verdict on the game? I'll leave that to Mitch.

2k and FIFA are their “competition“ yet they’re in this thread at 2:30am replying to comments and calling people that enjoy this game “fanboys”. Jesus Christ I can’t be the only one sick to death of the Big Ant discussion in this thread???

2k and FIFA are their “competition“ yet they’re in this thread at 2:30am replying to comments and calling people that enjoy this game “fanboys”. Jesus Christ I can’t be the only one sick to death of the Big Ant discussion in this thread???
Yet here you are, posting about Big Ant again... :think:

Yes, there are aspects of the AI that are problematic, however if you know how to play the game as it currently is you should be aware not to call for the ball at certain times because these things WILL happen. They shouldn't, but they do currently, so it is broken in that regard.

With that being said, I never call for the ball until the AI teammate is directly facing me - because they will just kick the ball out on the full in the direction they're facing otherwise. I personally think that's quite funny myself - unless it's at a critical time in the game. So my comment about some people not knowing how to play the game properly still has some merit. Humans can adapt to a situation - knowing exactly when to call for the ball in this example. Software can't adapt. It's stuck where it is until it's patched/fixed. Having said that, if you cannot adapt and make proper decisions based on the information you're getting from the game then you don't know how to play the game properly. That's simple logic. Now it shouldn't be like this. We, as gamers, shouldn't have to adjust in this way, so it's clearly issues with the game itself. However, a patch or two should be able to fix these issues.

Your attempt here relies entirely on the AI being on your team, the issue isn't calling for the ball because it's the AI on the opposition that's incredibly stupid and you can't do anything to stop that without an extensive patch.

As for the AI kicking to 2 on 1 contests and kicking out short from goal in an effort to switch play, I ALSO see this on a weekly basis (when we have games) in the REAL AFL, so our real life footballers must be broken as well. The trouble with Evo 2 is not that this happens, but that it happens far too often.

So you see players play on from a kick in run along the boundary and thump the ball straight out on the full within a meter of where they kicked it regularly? You're making an argument that hasn't been made, the problem isn't that these things happen it's that they happen so regularly.

You don't see AFL players kick to a 2 on 1 20m out from goal in the back line, these aren't one on one contests where a spare comes in these are two on one contests even before the ball is kicked.

Me after getting that sweet WW cash for saying I like the 'switch the play' mechanic on a football forum.

p-1-and8220generation-wealthand8221-examines-the-new-and-depressing-american-dream.jpg

Nah mate, I was up at 3am because I deal with the US, who just wake up at that time.... a bit like the WW employee, not fanboy, that posted at 2:58am just before me.

If you can't see that the guy's a WW then you are delusional - amongst a multitude of other issues in his posts, how many "innings" would you like to bowl in a cricket game? 2 or 3? (It's not baseball!)

Maybe the two or three WW employees on here could actually help you guys out with the game you purchased and answer some questions, instead of hiding behind their nice, new shiny accounts, calling me out.

Anyway, as before, unless another WW employee calls on me again, a bit like Mitch, I'll give this up. (Edit: Obviously Mitch doesn't understand the 'switch the play' mechanic...)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, as before, unless another WW employee calls on me again, a bit like Mitch, I'll give this up.
No you won't, you'll pop up again at the next opportunity to big note yourself.

I did like the part where a guy called your cricket game the best he's ever played and you still accuse him of being a WW employee who apparently has it in for you. And it's obvious he meant overs, not innings. God forbid, someone doesn't think your games are prefect. Insecure much?

This is a tough one to moderate lol. On one hand it would be better if everyone could stay on topic. Being critical is fine but sometimes posts border on playing the man. On the other hand we're lucky to be getting a bit of insight into game development at the expense of baiting users into retorts and going off topic again.

This board is the very audience both Big Ant and Wicked Witch would be targetting and it would be great if we could get them involved in the community, but not at the cost of snarky remarks.

Play on I guess. But play nice.

Nice video. The problem though is when you're kicking down the screen you can't actually see your target, except on the mini map. The kicking (with or without) assistance is too imprecise to trust that you'll hit a semi-blind target, so you have to do it so slowly (as in the video) that by the time you've made the kick the opposition has fully moved over to cover it.

And so it's not a switch in the traditional sense that you quickly throw off the opposition and move down the opposite wing, but rather a kick to kick in defence before ultimately moving out of defence in the same way as one could have at the start (not criticising your play here, just the game mechanics).

Also whilst a side-to-side camera does help making switches a bit, it makes it impossible to see more than ~ 30 metres ahead.

I think an end-to-end camera with a rotatable camera option (like from kick outs), at least when you've taken a mark, would make this game sooooo much better and make quick switches possible.

Seeing down field is a problem at times, no disputing.

You can never truly switch from a kick out, given how packed in everyone is, but the same is true of real football. Not shown in the clip, obviously, but when you take a mark about 70 out from your defensive goal, you can absolutely switch from one wing to another in a single kick and open everything up. Usually results in a 2v1 on the other side, similar to what I ended up with there on the wing.

Not saying it’s flawless, and the camera down field needs work, but the short kick/mark game and the ability to consistently set up a raking switch is a massive tick for me.

Not sure we'll ever have a perfect camera in an AFL game. The ovals are too big, and there are too many players without the same sorts of positioning restrictions we see in other sports (like offside).

Players will either look like ants, or you won't be able to see far enough away from the player with the ball to be able to switch the play etc with confidence.

I like the side-on view because it looks more like TV and where I sit at Optus. But most games I play with the end-to-end view. But I do wish there was a better side-on view.

Is there a way to preview camera angles and the changes you make without loading up a game?

Anyone found a solution with the set shots being piss easy. I have been trying to purposely kick the ball in the orange timing and aiming to the right to get a unexpected result

The camera needs to automatically zoom out when a free kick or mark is given to show the field, and then smoothly zoom back in for general scrappy play.

I blame Ross and Big Ant.

Amirite gaiz!

Ok, I'll bite. The Camera is actually the hardest part to get right when making an AFL game. For the same reasons I often can't stand watching the game on TV, so many cameos when I just want to see what's off the ball! (Clubs use the behind the goals vision almost 100% of the time for their coaching/analysis.)

Just about every other sport has an offside rule that keeps the players just off the ball in focus, much easier to deal with, especially RU, RL, NFL, camera right at the play/line of scrimmage. AFL is not a TV friendy sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back