Discussion I want to start a a campaign to (M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable

Remove this Banner Ad

To me, the Richmond example is the model for successful debt reduction.

It needs to be seperate from onfield performance. A voluntary fund established for the specific purpose of reducing our debt. As the debt shrinks it will create its own momentum. Supporters love the club and will contribute how and when they can. We have not played finals for a million years yet we were on track for 50,000 members this year. The support is there we just need the structure in place so that people know that this $10 is going to reduce our debt. Nothing else.

It needs to come from the club and I think we have good people in charge who have all the figures in front of them and will be already thinking about what needs to be done to make St Kilda sustainable. I hope they are thinking about what Richmond did six or seven years before they won that premiership.
We will see what happens on Friday. Personally I am surprised that the club hasn't set up an ongoing supporter fund already.

There are a few differences between the Tigers and us , they never lost their home and once it was re developed and they had their own stand alone club well they would even pack it out for a VFL game , of course they had a good plan to get out of debit but their proximity to the G ect makes them a very attractive proposition for supporters and corporates
Maybe the club could have its own stand alone VFL club if the debt was reduced

Maybe the club could have its own stand alone VFL club if the debt was reduced
Lets hope as it sure isnt helping us with the boys at Sandy , Hey dont think im being smart when i say its going to be tough to raise the money we need , we all want the same thing , some just have different views if we have the capacity to do it

Lets hope as it sure isnt helping us with the boys at Sandy , Hey dont think im being smart when i say its going to be tough to raise the money we need , we all want the same thing , some just have different views if we have the capacity to do it
Imagine our own VFL team playing out of Linton Street with the AFL women's team there as well'
The work that has been done down there is amazing
And i'm not thinking that, I know it will be huge task to even get off the ground. But hey we are talking about doing something positive for club that's a great start

I thought they did sell pavers a few years ago? Or was that bricks in the wall.
Either way, I do like that idea. Especially compared to the raffle.

the bricks on the wall was in the old social club.

I saw essendon's old ground and they had bricks as paver for each contributor i loved that idea.

Your opinion mate , prior to Virus was down at club couple of days a week , joint was humming local
business meetings , Sandringham Dragons connection really strong , lots of bayside opportunities were
being developed.
not disputing that ... and sure the moorabbin facility is turning into a great asset for the club i just thing we missed some good money making exercises with it early on

Imagine our own VFL team playing out of Linton Street with the AFL women's team there as well'
The work that has been done down there is amazing
And i'm not thinking that, I know it will be huge task to even get off the ground. But hey we are talking about doing something positive for club that's a great start
what differance would it make if it was a Saints stand alone team playing on our home ground or the sandringham team playing ? the obesession with our stand alone team i can never understand we basically control every thing with sandringham so what do we think we will gain above what we have with sandy if we went it alone ?

what differance would it make if it was a Saints stand alone team playing on our home ground or the sandringham team playing ? the obesession with our stand alone team i can never understand we basically control every thing with sandringham so what do we think we will gain above what we have with sandy if we went it alone ?
identity would be the main thing, a StKilda VFL side playing games out of Moorabbin, the sense of the reserves actually being a part of the club as a whole, and not sending our players to another club to play in different colors. I'm no psychologist but I'd rather play for a StKilda VFL side in Saints colors than a Sandy side in different colors. I don't know enough about the union and who does what and how, but from the outside, seeing the Sandy game vs Hawthorn at Marvel was horrid, felt disjointed from a fan perspective. there has to be a reason that most clubs have a standalone VFL entity and why Carlton recently killed off a 100+ yr old club in the name of going it alone.

identity would be the main thing, a StKilda VFL side playing games out of Moorabbin, the sense of the reserves actually being a part of the club as a whole, and not sending our players to another club to play in different colors. I'm no psychologist but I'd rather play for a StKilda VFL side in Saints colors than a Sandy side in different colors. I don't know enough about the union and who does what and how, but from the outside, seeing the Sandy game vs Hawthorn at Marvel was horrid, felt disjointed from a fan perspective. there has to be a reason that most clubs have a standalone VFL entity and why Carlton recently killed off a 100+ yr old club in the name of going it alone.
The cost would be huge. I doubt the afl will let us unless sandy fold. Hawthorn do ok with box hill so there is no sandy versus hawthorn The interstate sides seem ok. I can assure the players don’t care They train with us and have a captains run with sandy.

There are a few on here that will know a lot more than me about it but i can tell you from the few games i went to last year there looks a real disconnect between Sandy and our boys , most of the time doing their warm ups before the games they are always separated , saint with saints , sandy with sandy.
Im betting there are a lot of other reasons that a club insider would know of as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cost would be huge. I doubt the afl will let us unless sandy fold. Hawthorn do ok with box hill so there is no sandy versus hawthorn The interstate sides seem ok. I can assure the players don’t care They train with us and have a captains run with sandy.
I was already under the assumption we pay for a fair chunk as is, and part of the reason Carlton killed off the Bullants, money is a big deal I understand but I think the advantages of actually having the side under the same name and colors would be huge. huge for the psychology of StKilda listed players and equally so for the fill-ins, come play for sandy, a mix of Sandy players and StKilda or come play for StKilda alongside the AFL players. Having a competitive VFL requires fill in players and IMO you'd get better players wanting to play for St Kilda vs Sandy

I think the obesession stemmed from the Quota system with number of Stkilda players not playing seniors
and also not playing Sandringham because of the agreement.

I was already under the assumption we pay for a fair chunk as is, and part of the reason Carlton killed off the Bullants, money is a big deal I understand but I think the advantages of actually having the side under the same name and colors would be huge. huge for the psychology of StKilda listed players and equally so for the fill-ins, come play for sandy, a mix of Sandy players and StKilda or come play for StKilda alongside the AFL players. Having a competitive VFL requires fill in players and IMO you'd get better players wanting to play for St Kilda vs Sandy
Players don’t give a rats. I know that for a fact. They care they are in the seconds whatever that side is called. They will still be playing with guys they only see once a week whether it’s saints or sandy. The only way we will get better fill in players if we pay more than sandy. We just don’t have the money as proven by this thread.

There are a few on here that will know a lot more than me about it but i can tell you from the few games i went to last year there looks a real disconnect between Sandy and our boys , most of the time doing their warm ups before the games they are always separated , saint with saints , sandy with sandy.
Im betting there are a lot of other reasons that a club insider would know of as well
They are fine. Whether it’s sandy or fill in saints seconds players that would happen because most people like being with those they know.

Yes it was brought a few times
The club themselves have stated it would be their preferred option . It hasn’t been a great relationship over the years with Sandy and that is a fact

Last edited:
The club themselves have stated it would be their preferred option . It hasn’t been a great relationship over the years with Sandy and that is a fact

It certainly was before they changed the rules to allow us basically all the control and that is more current fact. Black white. And red somewhere.

im pretty certain the issues we had with Sandy are no longer issue as we are now prtty much 100% in control .. the only thing that isnt St Kilda is the name and uniform (and i believe they were trialing a few games in Saints coloured uniforms)... starting our own reserves team to me is like buying a new house cause you want a pool in the yard when you alrady have the hole and form work done for a pool in your current house .

im pretty certain the issues we had with Sandy are no longer issue as we are now prtty much 100% in control .. the only thing that isnt St Kilda is the name and uniform (and i believe they were trialing a few games in Saints coloured uniforms)... starting our own reserves team to me is like buying a new house cause you want a pool in the yard when you alrady have the hole and form work done for a pool in your current house .
Why are you certain the issue are no longer there ? I know for certain that our board and management and our coaches of the club would have our own reserves side tomorrow if they could

Why are you certain the issue are no longer there ? I know for certain that our board and management and our coaches of the club would have our own reserves side tomorrow if they could
Every club would if they could afford it. That doesn’t mean the sandy thing isn’t working. I know for a fact it is. We control sandy. We don’t have the money to be on our own and the afl won’t let us even if we did. That could change after the Coronavirus if they have a reserves comp. another expense we can’t afford. If we had our own side instead of sandy we would be paying up to 20 extra players extra coaches etc.

i cant comment on what you know for certain .. but i know when we asked the question about a stand alone VFL team of Matt Finnis and then President Peter Summers the responce was that for thecost the return was not worth it and the energy was better placed improving the already in place relationship and making that work rather than standing alone ... i believe the major stumbling block was the VFL not wanting another stand alone team

i cant comment on what you know for certain .. but i know when we asked the question about a stand alone VFL team of Matt Finnis and then President Peter Summers the responce was that for thecost the return was not worth it and the energy was better placed improving the already in place relationship and making that work rather than standing alone ... i believe the major stumbling block was the VFL not wanting another stand alone team
The afl wouldn’t give anymore licences. Anyway the cost would be to much for us. Obviously that changes if the vfl goes alone and we have a reserves comp. For our money situation I’d rather the vfl stay as it is at least next year.

The afl wouldn’t give anymore licences. Anyway the cost would be to much for us. Obviously that changes if the vfl goes alone and we have a reserves comp. For our money situation I’d rather the vfl stay as it is at least next year.
i dont know how viable the VFL would be if they went stand alone... i think the comment i heard was Sandy need St Kilda more then St Kilda need Sandy in the stand point of existance hence the control has been smoother in the last few years over the initial merge of our clubs .. we keep Sandy afloat and if we were to pull the pin theres every chance Sandy would go belly up ...

Peter Summers said it best i felt when he said we need to be respectful to the fact Sandy have their own history and their own identity that they hold as an important thing just as St Kilda do so just going in guns ablaze turning Sandy into St Kilda needs to be done with in respect of that... previously i think we were too quick to take control of Sandy that it got noses out of joint and it was an us vs them mentality, im not in Victoria so i cant say for certain but the feel i get from the last couple of times ive been at the club is that we have started repairing that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back