Discussion I want to start a a campaign to (M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable

Remove this Banner Ad

JeanLucGoddard

Go over to the AFL forum and have a look at what this a-hole is saying about St Kilda. If that doesn't spur you on to help us with this campaign nothing will.
And he is a North Melbourne supporter. Can you believe it?

As admirable as it is to want to help the club reduce or eliminate the debt I feel there is one question that needs to be answered.

Why is the club continually in debt?

Poor decisions?
Bad management?

The one thing that can’t be questioned is the loyalty from supporters.

Debt has been a problem for at least the last 40 years if not longer.

There is no reason why we shouldn’t have 70000+ members each and every year. This in itself would go a long way to helping reduce the debt.

ive floated a few ideas with the club over the years ..
the maine one i had was the members walkway... where you can charge a member say $250 for their name on a paver leading into the Morrabbin facility... i know for me personally and the organisations i represent the idea of having my name (my organisations name) linked to the club for generations to come i would gladly part with the $ (i mean the pavers need to be purchased anyway) at $250 a pop sell 2,000 pavers thats $500K right there. i did research on this before and engraved pavers cost like $16 - $26 each depending on the size still leaves a profit of about $450k (again thats without factoring the pavers would have to be purchased regardless as part of the upgrade ...

the other idea i had that unfortunatly the horse has bolted on but has been done to success with a number of clubs was when we pulled down Moorabbin instead of throwing the old bricks from the demolition into the skip bin for the tip sell them to the members as a peice of Morrabbin history ... hell if you make $1 off the sale of something you are going to throw in the bin then you are already ahead .. say you sell 2000 bricks to us die hards who would get all nostalgic over a peice of history even at a bargin basment price of $25 thats $50k right there ...
i mean its not going to solve all our issues but lots of little bumps of cash into the club eventually adds up ... and if the cost to the club is minimal then thats even better

the other idea i had that unfortunatly the horse has bolted on but has been done to success with a number of clubs was when we pulled down Moorabbin instead of throwing the old bricks from the demolition into the skip bin for the tip sell them to the members as a peice of Morrabbin history ... hell if you make $1 off the sale of something you are going to throw in the bin then you are already ahead .. say you sell 2000 bricks to us die hards who would get all nostalgic over a peice of history even at a bargin basment price of $25 thats $50k right there ...
i mean its not going to solve all our issues but lots of little bumps of cash into the club eventually adds up ... and if the cost to the club is minimal then thats even better
I think the amount of work to do something like that our ways the amount you make. Unfortunately the debt is to high for just normal supporters. We need a silly very rich person to bail us out. Or we continue and hope we come good and with much better administration we make it work off the field this time

Hi guys, still in very early stages but we are taking it seriously. Please PM me if you have any experience in fundraising or something that would be beneficial to kick this into gear.

He has a huge business because he doesn’t give it to footy clubs. Surely we realised that after Lindsay Fox.
It's the equivalent of 10 cents to most of us.

You saying that is a big amount to him then?

It's the equivalent of 10 cents to most of us.

You saying that is a big amount to him then?
He isn’t worth 7 billion. And if it wasn’t big then why do we still have a debt so yes it’s big enough for him not to bale us out. Why didn’t Lindsay bale us out. Even allowing for inflation the debt was no where near as big then. What did he do. The club paid both 7 and 22 cents in the dollar to those owed money. It wasn’t a great look. Trevor barker even donated a car he won

He isn’t worth 7 billion. And if it wasn’t big then why do we still have a debt so yes it’s big enough for him not to bale us out. Why didn’t Lindsay bale us out. Even allowing for inflation the debt was no where near as big then. What did he do. The club paid both 7 and 22 cents in the dollar to those owed money. It wasn’t a great look. Trevor barker even donated a car he won
I don't know what his self worth is but lets say it's over half a Billion.
$20M is still peanuts.

Mega rich business people who love their club and want them to be competitive against the big clubs need to think differently is my point here.

Last edited:
I don't know what his self worth is but last say it's over half a Billion.
$20M is still peanuts.

Mega rich business people who love their club and want them to be competitive against the big clubs need to think differently is my point here.
Well he hasn’t yet and he has know our debt has been getting bigger for years. I think someone said he was worth 200 million. We have had 2 very rich presidents. One didn’t help and the other hasn’t helped yet. Probably unfair on both. They are helping with their profile and probably a little money. Doubt we are going to see big money.

Well he hasn’t yet and he has know our debt has been getting bigger for years. I think someone said he was worth 200 million. We have had 2 very rich presidents. One didn’t help and the other hasn’t helped yet. Probably unfair on both. They are helping with their profile and probably a little money. Doubt we are going to see big money.
Well I hope that changes with our current Pres.

Imagine being the person in charge who wiped out the clubs debt & helping it achieve the ultimate success on the big stage for only the 2nd time in its history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I hope that changes with our current Pres.

Imagine being the person in charge who wiped out the clubs debt & helping it achieve the ultimate success on the big stage for only the 2nd time in its history.
I hope you are right but there nothing to suggest he interested in whipping out the debt. He could have done it for last 20 years.

I hope you are right but there nothing to suggest he interested in whipping out the debt. He could have done it for last 20 years.
These are extraordinary times though.
Survival is not compulsory, nor is it guaranteed.

These are extraordinary times though.
Survival is not compulsory, nor is it guaranteed.

Rich people would usually rather watch the club fold than open their own wallet.

Rich people would usually rather watch the club fold than open their own wallet.
They got rich for a reason.
You have demonstrate "what is in it for them"
If you went to Fox, Basset or Ryan, and said, please give me $20 big ones to save the club, how would they react?
But if you went to them and said, would you like to be part of a large group of supporters that wants to work together to save the club, um that would be different.

George

Not fundraising as such but 40 years in senior accounting/finance roles, and been involved in lots of business development proposals - some were good, some failed.
So Im willing to help.
Added you to the PM mate

It doesn't matter whether Fox or Bassett or any other mega rich Saints person hasn't helped in the past. (They probably have but lets say they haven't). WE AS SUPPORTERS NEED TO SHOW THESE RICH DUDES WE WANT OUR CLUB TO NOT ONLY SURVIVE BUT TO BE SUCCESSFUL AND EVENTUALLY BE AS BIG AS RICHMOND AND COLLINGWOOD.

If we all put our thinking caps on, the sky is the limit. Look at that old man in the UK (100 years old), who has walked around his backyard more than 100 times. He has literally raised millions.

There have already been some great suggestions / ideas in this thread. We can do this. We have to do this or else there is a real chance that our fate will be taken out of our hands. Act now and we control our own destiny.

How do you think rich people become rich , not by throwing 12 mill down the drain , paying off our debt is not going to guarantee us success, watch the video about the Draw and you will see how Collingwood had state of the art everything , we had nothing yet for one bounce we never got that second flag
Until we fix our list issues and start playing some decent football no one is going to tip in the money we require, sad but true
Ps , this isnt aimed at you Gringo

go look at Richmond for how to save the club, probably the best debt recovery scheme run in the AFL the tigers raised they're targetted $6m in just over 2 years. They didn't do with extraordinary donations but by lots and lots of small bits, It's still running to date

I've raised it with the club in the past, along with opting out of merchandise incl. with memberships as a means of donation, even the ability to add a small amount towards debt demolition during membership signup.
Not sure what the club's response was but they may feel that asking for donations is just a step too far.

I'd happily kick in a few bucks each year to clear the debt but the club still has to get its act together, still has to operate in a capacity that will not see the debt return, and more importantly use the improved financial position to run a more competent organization from top to bottom.

Last edited:
They got rich for a reason.
You have demonstrate "what is in it for them"
If you went to Fox, Basset or Ryan, and said, please give me $20 big ones to save the club, how would they react?
But if you went to them and said, would you like to be part of a large group of supporters that wants to work together to save the club, um that would be different.
He is also going to want to know what the plan is and how much money we have guaranteed in pledges , no doubt the guys you mentioned love the club but there is a difference between loving a club and willing to risk a massive sum of money on a gamble

To show how hard it is to raise money on this site just look at how much we raised for the new building. 10k which is an unbelievable effort from those who donated. Fantastic by you however if we were to raise that much we would need 60 other supporter groups just to raise enough to pay our interest bill Any money raise certainly can’t hurt but if the club can’t get the guys who have big money involved then we have no hope. Our best chance is on the field then getting off field right which I now believe we have dont. Now it’s up to the boys on the ground. We may have to borrow 7 or 8 million off the afl this year which means 2 things, they will want us to survive to pay it back but secondly they will have even more control of us which means they may send us to tassy. We need to show them we are to big to send down there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back