May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
150th-Anniversary-Gala-19-.jpg

I have written the following post at the David Koch Vanillarization thread:
The PB and teal are two separated issues, and must be treated as such.

Port has had many different guernseys and many different colours throughout its history. However, a particular design in black-and-white has become iconic.

We should have the right to wear our iconic guernsey whenever we want. We should explore our historical guernseys, including the AFL era ones, as we see fit. And we should keep developing new designs.

Those three attitudes are not in conflict. They complement each other.

This post, and the debate to which it is a part, has inspired me to open this thread. I have checked it. There is no thread specifically to talk of ALL our guernseys.

So, I would like to see us discussing from the 1870 sky-blue-and-white hooped guernsey to the 2019 chevron silver guernsey.

I want to see us posting about all our colour changes, all our main guernsey changes and tweaks (including sponsorship), all our away guernseys, all our indigenous guernseys, our special guernseys, preseason, training, etc. The good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly, the relevant and the meaningless, and everything in between.

We can state our opinions or simply post images. We can present original designs. We can suggest special guernseys: ANZAC, China, Showdowns, Finals, Round 1, whatever. We can say that all that matters is the PB. It is all fine.

It is a thread about Port and its guernseys.

Last edited:
Reserved for Future References:
- Other threads on the subject
- Relevant comments
- etc.

I am not sure I will use it, but it is reserved anyway. If it doesn't work, I will delete it.

Last edited:

Not that any sane person doesn't know this already, but what I like about this image is it clearly shows how different the Collingwood style full stripes are to the Prison Bars design. Like even at a small size and at an angle you can tell which are the wharf pylon style and which aren't. It's a single picture that shows Eddie's arguments about brand confusion or whatever are ridiculous.

150th-Anniversary-Gala-19-.jpg

I have written the following post at the David Koch Vanillarization thread:

This post, and the debate to which it is a part, has inspired me to open this thread. I have checked it. There is no thread specifically to talk of ALL our guernseys.

So, I would like to see us discussing from the 1870 sky-blue-and-white hooped guernsey to the 2019 chevron silver guernsey.

I want to see us posting about all our colour changes, all our main guernsey changes and tweaks (including sponsorship), all our away guernseys, all our indigenous guernseys, our special guernseys, preseason, training, etc. The good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly, the relevant and the meaningless, and everything in between.

We can state our opinions or simply post images. We can present original designs. We can suggest special guernseys: ANZAC, China, Showdowns, Finals, Round 1, whatever. We can say that all that matters is the PB. It is all fine.

It is a thread about Port and its guernseys.

I have never taken much notice of the 2nd jumper from the left before, but I hope we never use it because (false) lace up aside it is very close to a design worn by the dees and the deadlegs, although the latter wore it quite some time back.

I have never taken much notice of the 2nd jumper from the left before, but I hope we never use it because (false) lace up aside it is very close to a design worn by the dees and the deadlegs, although the latter wore it quite some time back.
1591587906118.png Mero shows it like this based on info supplied to him by Port Adelaide historians, so the jury's out on that one at the moment.
I was working off this information, put together by Port historians and sent to me in 2015
I will check in with them to see if they've changed their opinion on what this jumper should look like.

Last edited:
This is the guernsey memorabillia poster the club sold signed by legends in 2012 or 2013. The years on the Print

1591593941217.png
1870-77.1878-82.1883-5.1885-01.1902-10.1911-26.27-1936.37-41..42-43..44-45....1946...1947-50..1951..1952-96.1996-11.2012-....1997-09.2010-

Last edited:
This is the guernsey memorabillia poster the club sold signed by legends in 2012 or 2013. The years on the Print

View attachment 888569
1870-77.1878-82.1883-5.1885-01.1902-10.1911-26.27-1936.37-41..42-43..44-45....1946...1947-50..1951..1952-96.1996-11.2012-....1997-09.2010-
If Eddie is mad about us playing in the PB's, imagine when we start pushing for playing with those Collingwood-like guernseys! :drunk:

----
P.S.: I still believe we should have launched a commemorative version of ALL the designs, not only those we will wear this season.

Last edited:
The Port 1884 premiership team is shown in this grainy photo
1591631149080.png
1890 is this one
1591631220939.png

I agree with my source at Port who determined the Magenta & Blue colours were a Dark Pink (Magenta) and a Light Blue (Similar to the hoops)
When you convert Magenta and that shade of blue to Greyscale, you get this:
Greyscale.png
Therefore, without an actual version of the jumper to view, I'd be happy to say the body of the jumper was Magenta, the Yoke was Blue, and the jumper presented at the 150 year event was incorrect.

The Port 1884 premiership team is shown in this grainy photo
View attachment 888865
1890 is this one
View attachment 888866

I agree with my source at Port who determined the Magenta & Blue colours were a Dark Pink (Magenta) and a Light Blue (Similar to the hoops)
When you convert Magenta and that shade of blue to Greyscale, you get this:
View attachment 888867
Therefore, without an actual version of the jumper to view, I'd be happy to say the body of the jumper was Magenta, the Yoke was Blue, and the jumper presented at the 150 year event was incorrect.
Interesting point. Some probably saw the images and imagined a darker shade of blue and a lighter shade of red/pink.

In your site, the first guernsey is blue with white yoke. It isn't represented on the poster RussellEbertHandball brought up nor in the Gala dinner. Yet, it resembles the magenta/blue shown by the club, doesn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you guys originally have like make ya or blue or pink or something like that? I hate Collingwood but the black and white in our league will always be Collingwood sorry to say that and that’s the sad truth and ur just gonna have to accept that

Did you guys originally have like make ya or blue or pink or something like that? I hate Collingwood but the black and white in our league will always be Collingwood sorry to say that and that’s the sad truth and ur just gonna have to accept that
Collingwood was not originally black and white either. Besides, we have other colours beside black and white. That's not the issue.

The issue is us having the right to wear our iconic guernsey, that everybody recognizes as synonym for the Port Adelaide Football Club. The guernsey is, indeed, black and white, but it is not like Collingwood's in any other way. You know. We have played against Richmond with it in 2014.

Moreover, when playing against Collingwood, we would wear another guernsey, with enough teal and/or silver; just like we have been doing since joining the league. Thus, for them, it would change nothing.

Whatever you say Eddie!

Collingwood was not originally black and white either. Besides, we have other colours beside black and white. That's not the issue.

The issue is us having the right to wear our iconic guernsey, that everybody recognizes as synonym for the Port Adelaide Football Club. The guernsey is, indeed, black and white, but it is not like Collingwood's in any other way. You know. We have played against Richmond with it in 2014.

Moreover, when playing against Collingwood, we would wear another guernsey, with enough teal and/or silver; just like we have been doing since joining the league. Thus, for them, it would change nothing.
Collingwood FC have always been Black & White stripes.
There were clubs that played in the Collingwood District that was based at Victoria Park, some of whose players moved to the new Collingwood club.
When it's suited them, Collingwood have chosen to adopt the most successful, Britannia as a forerunner to their club, as much as anything based on the fact that some of their members joined Collingwood. Others from Britannia (most of the committee) joined Fitzroy and wanted nothing to do with Collingwood.
It was only after Britannia was dissolved that the VFA allowed a Collingwood team to join their ranks.
So the Collingwood who formed, and whose colours were based on the South Australian state team uniforms are a unique club from Britannia
SA-1891.png
History of SA uniforms: http://www.footyjumpers.com/SA-Uni.htm

Collingwood FC have always been Black & White stripes.
There were clubs that played in the Collingwood District that was based at Victoria Park, some of whose players moved to the new Collingwood club.
When it's suited them, Collingwood have chosen to adopt the most successful, Britannia as a forerunner to their club, as much as anything based on the fact that some of their members joined Collingwood. Others from Britannia (most of the committee) joined Fitzroy and wanted nothing to do with Collingwood.
It was only after Britannia was dissolved that the VFA allowed a Collingwood team to join their ranks.
So the Collingwood who formed, and whose colours were based on the South Australian state team uniforms are a unique club from Britannia
View attachment 888882
History of SA uniforms: http://www.footyjumpers.com/SA-Uni.htm
I stand corrected, then. The rest of my point remains unchanged, though.

----

You asked for it...

I would suggest there is no reason why a club cannot determine their own Home uniform.
However, from 1858 to 2007 the method of determining responsibility to provide a clash uniform was determined by which club had created the clash by either joining the competition last, or by which club had changed their uniform last.
This was first seen in the VFL when Geelong, who changed their hoops to the broader design worn today wore Clash jumpers (at Home) against Collingwood in 1914.
Since 2007 the onus has been on the club designated as the visitors.
I would expect the Collingwood issue with Port designating the Prison Bars as their Home uniform is that at some point they (Collingwood) will be forced to wear something other than Black & White stripes when playing Port as the Away team.

Interesting point. Some probably saw the images and imagined a darker shade of blue and a lighter shade of red/pink.

In your site, the first guernsey is blue with white yoke. It isn't represented on the poster RussellEbertHandball brought up nor in the Gala dinner. Yet, it resembles the magenta/blue shown by the club, doesn't it?
That jumper was a Blue & White jumper design worn by some players.
In that era, colours were the only determinate.
So Norwood were Blue & Red, Adelaide were Black & Red, Willunga were Red & White, Gawler were Black & Orange.
Most players would have uniforms that were from one source, and would have been the same.
However, over time players joining the club might bring designs from another club which, so long as they were in the same colours as the club wore, were accepted.

As far as the design is concerned, there was a gap of about 8 years from wearing Pink jumpers between Blue & White and the Magenta & Blue the club moved to.
The fact that the top was one colour and the bottom another is more based on the ability to produce anything different with the equipment available to manufacturers.
These would have been canvas lace-ups, so complicated designs were not possible.
The original Adelaide club eventually wore the same design, Victorian, who became North Adelaide both wore the same design, and Carlton wore the same design in the VFL.

Last edited:
No I didn’t I was merely asking Simple questions, you decide to get bitter champ.
I haven't been bitter at all. If you check the posters, you will notice that I have simply replied to you.

That jumper was a Blue & White jumper design worn by some players.
In that era, colours were the only determinate.
So Norwood were Blue & Red, Adelaide were Black & Red, Willunga were Red & White, Gawler were Black & Orange.
Most players would have uniforms that were from one source, and would have been the same.
However, over time players joining the club might bring designs from another club which, so long as they were in the same colours as the club wore, were accepted.

As far as the design is concerned, there was a gap of about 8 years from wearing Pink jumpers between Blue & White and the Magenta & Blue the club moved to.
The fact that the top was one colour and the bottom another is more based on the ability to produce anything different with the equipment available to manufacturers.
These would have been canvas lace-ups, so complicated designs were not possible.
The original Adelaide club eventually wore the same design, Victorian, who became North Adelaide both wore the same design, and Carlton wore the same design in the VFL.

There were match pics put up on this site approx. 3 or 4 years ago of games from Adelaide oval early last century, which appeared to show players from the same team wearing guernseys with different designs in the same game.
Given the era the pics were obviously not in colour, but one of the teams shown with some players wearing different guernsey designs to their team mates may have been North Adelaide.

I would suggest there is no reason why a club cannot determine their own Home uniform.
However, from 1858 to 2007 the method of determining responsibility to provide a clash uniform was determined by which club had created the clash by either joining the competition last, or by which club had changed their uniform last.

Did this ever apply to Collingwood when they inverted their guernsey? That would have made it a recent change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back