Toast Heritier Lumumba pens heartfelt letter to ex-teammates, wants club to own up to mistreatment

Remove this Banner Ad

I usually agree with you Jmac, but not on this one. This just brings a whole load fpod s**t On you.
listening to Bickley‘s Presser, it sounded like a pretty soft admittance of what H was claiming: “we’ve changed.....we’re now welcoming....” etc.

look, I’m a pies fanatic, but this is a chance to do the right thing
And I believe we are. Bucks stated publicly his desire to sit down with H and talk. That offer has been rejected because H wants to use Collingwood to shine a light on racism. I’m with his fight but he’s using the wrong source of light.

one reason players don’t want to go public is they getbullied relentlessly by media, club figures and half the public. Why would you?

Going public takes intestinal fortitude and resilience.

I believe parts of his account, but also believe he is choosing to tell the truth that suits his narrative. He’s after exposure, he’s not being reasonable. The coach reached out last night, the club wants to listen. He’s not willing to try and mend and heal. He wants the militant view. I accept that from Aboriginal Australians because their land was taken by force. I won’t accept that from H.
Of course he wants the 'militant view' Look/listen to his speech. CFC and football is not his god. In his mind he serves a higher purpose, chasing higher values. He is not looking to resolve things in a way that best suits the club or the individuals concerned privately. He wants this public. He wants this to serve a bigger purpose than his experience. He wants to change the world. Social Activism page 3, 2nd paragraph. Does it matter what you or I or the club will accept? Get in front of this one because there is a truck on the roll and if we don't move an insignificant football club will simply be another victim crushed under the wheels.

On the issue of H being called a chimp, why doesn’t he just name the people who did it?
Maybe he is not a dobber? Maybe he wants to give them the opportunity to take the hot seat. Could be there is no one to name. Take ya pick.

Of course he wants the 'militant view' Look/listen to his speech. CFC and football is not his god. In his mind he serves a higher purpose, chasing higher values. He is not looking to resolve things in a way that best suits the club or the individuals concerned privately. He wants this public. He wants this to serve a bigger purpose than his experience. He wants to change the world. Social Activism page 3, 2nd paragraph. Does it matter what you or I or the club will accept? Get in front of this one because there is a truck on the roll and if we don't move an insignificant football club will simply be another victim crushed under the wheels.
If he wants to serve a higher purpose, why does he keep talking about himself?

Sorry, but the cause has a lot better to offer as drivers of real change.

Maybe he is not a dobber? Maybe he wants to give them the opportunity to take the hot seat. Could be there is no one to name. Take ya pick.
Maybe he’s not the victim he wants you to believe.

On the issue of H being called a chimp, why doesn’t he just name the people who did it?
From an old Herald Sun Article:

'The Herald Sun published a one-on-one interview with the former Magpie and Tiger on Monday backing Heritier Lumumba’s claims that he was called a chimp by teammates at Collingwood.

Krakouer, who now works in the mines in Western Australia, did not back away from these claims but conceded that there was no malicious intent behind the nickname.

According to Krakouer, ‘Chimp’ is just a snapshot into the wider societal problems that continue to trouble him and other indigenous people.

“It was a nickname (but) I honestly don’t think the boys are racist,” Krakouer said on SEN.

“I honestly thought it was just culturally ignorant. It was not meaning to be racist at all.

I don’t think the boys were trying to upset him or anything like that. It was just culturally ignorant.'

'The Herald Sun published a one-on-one interview with the former Magpie and Tiger on Monday backing Heritier Lumumba’s claims that he was called a chimp by teammates at Collingwood.

Krakouer, who now works in the mines in Western Australia, did not back away from these claims but conceded that there was no malicious intent behind the nickname.

According to Krakouer, ‘Chimp’ is just a snapshot into the wider societal problems that continue to trouble him and other indigenous people.

“It was a nickname (but) I honestly don’t think the boys are racist,” Krakouer said on SEN.

“I honestly thought it was just culturally ignorant. It was not meaning to be racist at all.

I don’t think the boys were trying to upset him or anything like that. It was just culturally ignorant.'

I think this is very likely. It’s an awful nickname. I wonder if he said anything about it at the time. Maybe he didn’t feel confident.

I dont think Lumumba's demands are unreasonable.

This racisim cloud if forever going hover over this club unless it is addressed publically and it results in an apology to Lumumba and an acknowledgement for a past racist culture.

My personal thoughts are a public apology is not going to matter unless McGuire steps down as president. This racist stink, is forever going to hang around until McGuire goes. Then we can truely move on as a club.
You seem to have an agenda involving our President and our coach. It comes through in a lot of your posting. Not sure why you have such a chip on your shoulder?

Alas it won’t happen here. There is no uprising or real change on the horizon. 230 years of Aboriginal oppression is not going to be recognised any tome soon in our constitution.

The ramblings of a Brazilian footy player are not going to change that or bring down the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A premiership player for our club and always one of us. Deserves way more respect than "supporters" who would dismiss a premiership hero for standing up for himself

Could care less if hes a premiership player.

Taken pot shots since he left. Definitely not one of us

He needs to stop being cryptic, name the culprits. Im sure it wasnt all other 43 players on the list , stop tarnishing the whole list for a sake of a few people. He wont though , because he cant

He apparently did not object till a meeting in 2013. It stopped immediately.

Heritier's loss of form may have coincided with his use of mushrooms in the same year.
Well I don’t know anything about mushrooms but do know how stupid footy players can be. Coining a nickname like chimp is pretty dumb.

I think the word ignorant is pretty important when considering cultural insensitivity of the past. A lot of us, myself included, are guilty of being extremely ignorant across a multitude of issues. Across the various roles I've had in my short working life, I've had to challenge a number of preconceived ideas and misconceptions around race, gender, sexuality etc and with that I hope that I've grown into a more accepting human being. I hope that myself and others are not judged on their past missteps, but on their current thoughts, feelings and actions.

I find it entirely believable that the club was exceedingly ignorant in the past and H would have experienced discomfort in that environment. However I feel that a crusade based on righteousness, judgement and condemnation doesn't work towards the greater harmony and unity that H is looking for.

I think the word ignorant is pretty important when considering cultural insensitivity of the past. A lot of us, myself included, are guilty of being extremely ignorant across a multitude of issues. Across the various roles I've had in my short working life, I've had to challenge a number of preconceived ideas and misconceptions around race, gender, sexuality etc and with that I hope that I've grown into a more accepting human being. I hope that myself and others are not judged on their past missteps, but on their current thoughts, feelings and actions.

I find it entirely believable that the club was exceedingly ignorant in the past and H would have experienced discomfort in that environment. However I feel that a crusade based on righteousness, judgement and condemnation doesn't work towards the greater harmony and unity that H is looking for.
You are very wise.

If he wants to serve a higher purpose, why does he keep talking about himself?
Sorry, but the cause has a lot better to offer as drivers of real change.
Come on. He perceives he is a high profile example. If I get stamped on in my lowly place in life no one gives a. Harry is aware he has a powerful voice. He is using it, rightly or wrongly.
Maybe he’s not the victim he wants you to believe.
Maybe he isn't. I don't believe in anything really. I don't have to believe in anything here to come to an personal assessment of what is going on. I find Heritier's story in relationship to these events believable. Doesn't mean they actually happened. I observe the reaction of CFC and find it quite typical, text book like, of how organisations deal with such events. No personal certainty in either story. Don't need to know the truth to identify the right approach. Either say it never happened or say it did, with whatever qualifiers and get on with the job.

Could care less if hes a premiership player.

Taken pot shots since he left. Definitely not one of us

He needs to stop being cryptic, name the culprits. Im sure it wasnt all other 43 players on the list , stop tarnishing the whole list for a sake of a few people. He wont though , because he cant
he's a liar you mean? stop being cryptic.

He apparently did not object till a meeting in 2013. It stopped immediately.

Heritier's loss of form may have coincided with his use of mushrooms in the same year.
i'm sure you'll be able to sustain that allegation just as well as your previous character attacks on him. (ie . not at all)

Going public takes intestinal fortitude and resilience.

Not always. It can be a ploy to get the spotlight back on you for a while. O'Brien's demands are cringeworthy. I would take him more seriously if he had stepped away from the club in the first year and made a statement saying why he refused to play in that racist environment. I would not stay at a workplace which I believed was openly prejudiced toward me for more than a week. I would tell my employer to shove his job wherever it best fitted and leave. Harry took the good money from the racist institution for eight years, celebrated great victories, partied and socialized with the very same people he is now condemning.

It reeks of a desperate need for relevance. If I was Buck's I would not pander to him. I'd say I liked Harry and admired him as a footballer. There was no malice or cruelty ever directed at the man. If anyone chooses to believe I or any of the people at Collingwood are racists, so be it. I will not be commenting on this issue again.

His attempt to reach out has just given Harry another opportunity to grandstand and pout.

i'm sure you'll be able to sustain that allegation just as well as your previous character attacks on him. (ie . not at all)
Wow-Harry makes the most vile character attack on every person who was at the club during his stay there ( and makes sure the whole world gets to read it) and you are concerned about a comment on Big Footy questioning Harry's character?

Not always. It can be a ploy to get the spotlight back on you for a while. O'Brien's demands are cringeworthy. I would take him more seriously if he had stepped away from the club in the first year and made a statement saying why he refused to play in that racist environment. I would not stay at a workplace which I believed was openly prejudiced toward me for more than a week. I would tell my employer to shove his job wherever it best fitted and leave. Harry took the good money from the racist institution for eight years, celebrated great victories, partied and socialized with the very same people he is now condemning.

It reeks of a desperate need for relevance. If I was Buck's I would not pander to him. I'd say I liked Harry and admired him as a footballer. There was no malice or cruelty ever directed at the man. If anyone chooses to believe I or any of the people at Collingwood are racists, so be it. I will not be commenting on this issue again.

His attempt to reach out has just given Harry another opportunity to grandstand and pout.
When reading drivel like this try substituting Lumanba for Goodes and you'll realise you've heard it all before. "Attention seeking, relevance, spotlight, grandstanding" . Same old shite.

Wow-Harry makes the most vile character attack on every person who was at the club during his stay there ( and makes sure the whole world gets to read it) and you are concerned about a comment on Big Footy questioning Harry's character?
that "no further comment" didn't last long!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back