Autopsy Rnd 4 - Blues beat Bombers by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

I never whinge about umpiring costing a team a game/giving a team a game, as my post history will attest, but that game I have to comment.

Not even about the ending, which btw, I still don't know what happened, but the amount of times around the ground our guys were being held off the ball or illegally blocked etc. was doing my head in. Can't blame Essendon, they were getting away with it, so why not hold Crippa 10 metres off the ball? It happens every game and Cripps very rarely gets support from umpires with it, but this was particularly bad imo. Cartlon should ask the AFL to keep an eye on his contests because it happens every week.

What I can blame Essendon for is how they whinge to the umpires.. bloody hell every contest where the ump blew his whistle you can guarantee 1 Essendon player was whinging about something. Nothing grinds me more than people whinging at the umpire.

I never whinge about umpiring costing a team a game/giving a team a game, as my post history will attest, but that game I have to comment.

Not even about the ending, which btw, I still don't know what happened, but the amount of times around the ground our guys were being held off the ball or illegally blocked etc. was doing my head in. Can't blame Essendon, they were getting away with it, so why not hold Crippa 10 metres off the ball? It happens every game and Cripps very rarely gets support from umpires with it, but this was particularly bad imo. Cartlon should ask the AFL to keep an eye on his contests because it happens every week.

What I can blame Essendon for is how they whinge to the umpires.. bloody hell every contest where the ump blew his whistle you can guarantee 1 Essendon player was whinging about something. Nothing grinds me more than people whinging at the umpire.
Says person whinging about umpiring.

* supporters were crying the Curnow was holding Shiel all day.

We could direct our anger towards the muppets who introduced said rule - the rules committee and/or the AFL - for constantly tinkering with the rules to the point where the players do not hear about them prior to them being paid and the umpires don't take the fact that if Eddie's within the 15m protective zone so too were two Essendon players into account before paying their 50.

The game's hard as fu** to umpire, and it's only made harder by the pricks changing the rules on everyone every single ******* season.

What was the supposed new rule? As you said, does the rule apply the opposition is there too?

There was a moment in I think the 3rd quarter, where the ball was in dispute and within the space of 10 seconds both Pitto and Levi made intentional aggressive hits on Essendon players around the ball.... From memory I don't even think we ended up winning the possession, but to me it was a sign. Two 100kg big men, who don't mind physically intimidating opposition players... it's been a long long time that we've had players like that. When you have a few enforcers around, the whole team walks taller.

I found myself smiling ear to ear just watching it.

Says person whinging about umpiring.

* supporters were crying the Curnow was holding Shiel all day.
Yes that was my point. I don't do it and am often annoyed by people who do it (though the part you bolded was actually referring to players whinging directly to umpires), but I felt it was so bad this time I should make a point of it.

Last edited:
Congrats on the win you lot.

I suspect the footy gods were watching when Townsend went for goal at the death - would have been criminal for us to pinch that one given that your mob were far better.

Good luck for the remainder of the year (said through gritted teeth ;))

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a moment in I think the 3rd quarter, where the ball was in dispute and within the space of 10 seconds both Pitto and Levi made intentional aggressive hits on Essendon players around the ball.... From memory I don't even think we ended up winning the possession, but to me it was a sign. Two 100kg big men, who don't mind physically intimidating opposition players... it's been a long long time that we've had players like that. When you have a few enforcers around, the whole team walks taller.

I found myself smiling ear to ear just watching it.

Absolutely. Could not agree more. Intangible. I probably get more satisfaction from seeing this than a goal. Teams have been physically beating us up for years.

Mitch McG doesn't mind the physical stuff. I'm hoping Harry & TDK develop this too. (Wouldn't mind having a mongrel ruck rover)

Wow Jones played plenty of games largely because of the fear factor. I remember when we played * at VFL Park one day and Merrett dropped someone. Wow ran around for 10mins afterwards, and every * player he ran past he punched in the head. Oh, and eye gouged Merrett too!

Obviously you can't do that anymore. But you still need some big blokes who are aggressively physical; and even better if they have a little spite too.

Absolutely. Could not agree more. Intangible. I probably get more satisfaction from seeing this than a goal. Teams have been physically beating us up for years.

Mitch McG doesn't mind the physical stuff. I'm hoping Harry & TDK develop this too. (Wouldn't mind having a mongrel ruck rover)

Wow Jones played plenty of games largely because of the fear factor. I remember when we played * at VFL Park one day and Merrett dropped someone. Wow ran around for 10mins afterwards, and every * player he ran past he punched in the head. Oh, and eye gouged Merrett too!

Obviously you can't do that anymore. But you still need some big blokes who are aggressively physical; and even better if they have a little spite too.
On AFL 360 either last week or the week before they asked Jordan Lewis if the Hawks ever targeted a player (in response to GWS targeting Bont) and he said they did it pretty much every week. There's certainly still a place in the game for testing the mettle of the opposition.

Yep, standard interpersonal relationship stuff. Familiarity, also I can assure you at some stage they would have either been warned about being too friendly with us and appearing biased, or came up with it under their own volition. Human psychology is a funny thing.

In a 50 50 I can almost guarantee they would err on the side of caution against us due to perceived favouritism

I suppose it’s human nature that familiarity can lead to a bias, however I’m not 100% sold on your conclusion - not saying you are wrong as it’s just an opinion, but here’s an anecdote with the opposite outcome you’re suggesting.

I was lucky enough to attend a luncheon about 20 years back with Garry Lyon guest speaker, a small luncheon so we were able to interact a bit more, and he told an interesting story that I’ve never forgotten as it was different to the normal footy luncheon drinking story. I’ll paraphrase, but John Northy thought the Demons got a bad run one year with umps, so he sent 2 players each week to umpire training to get a better relationship with umpires but also to understand how they saw the game etc. The result was Melb got a huge increase in free kick differential - on the presumption of mateship leading to favourable decisions - and the AFL banned them (and everyone) from umpire training the next year onward.

Interesting how the same situation regarding familiarity can have opposing viewpoints...either way it’s not on my list of stuff to get too concerned over.

🤣🤣🤣kane cornes has now said merrent went to tackle with a closed fist and shouldnt of got a week.... 👌👌👌 is this guy for real.... get him to a mental hospital. He is clearly sick
Also tried to tackle with one arm. He is a very talented boy that Merrett.

He also went one-handed when he was pulling Nic-Nat's hair last year.

We could direct our anger towards the muppets who introduced said rule - the rules committee and/or the AFL - for constantly tinkering with the rules to the point where the players do not hear about them prior to them being paid and the umpires don't take the fact that if Eddie's within the 15m protective zone so too were two Essendon players into account before paying their 50.

The game's hard as fu** to umpire, and it's only made harder by the pricks changing the rules on everyone every single ******* season.
What was the supposed new rule? As you said, does the rule apply the opposition is there too?
this is a screen shot of the umpire pointing to the mark -

the umpy may say "here" but is yelling at eddie to stay out repeatedly while running backwards - he also fails to call play on as Saad crosses the "mark" - which he should have done

Attachments

• 50m.png
    50m.png
    664.9 KB · Views: 114
this is a screen shot of the umpire pointing to the mark -

the umpy may say "here" but is yelling at eddie to stay out repeatedly while running backwards - he also fails to call play on as Saad crosses the "mark" - which he should have done
actually - he calls play on near the centre line - with gibbo right next to him - you can see the arm movement and the clock starts running again

Attachments

• play on.png
    play on.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 102

Remove this Banner Ad

Back