Analysis Season 2020 - What should the season look like now?

Remove this Banner Ad

I could get slated for this but I would seriously consider playing all our 2nds in the Richmond game. Try to give our whole team that game off (or 19 of the 22). Keeps the A team in their normal cycle and gives our Bs an AFL game which they will be desperate for. Tell them to go into each contest as physical as possible.

Getting thrashed and losing a lot of percentage would be the risk.
That sounds like pretty sensible management to me.

I could get slated for this but I would seriously consider playing all our 2nds in the Richmond game. Try to give our whole team that game off (or 19 of the 22). Keeps the A team in their normal cycle and gives our Bs an AFL game which they will be desperate for. Tell them to go into each contest as physical as possible.

It’s quite conceivable that Richmond might do the same thing.

I think we have three options:

1. Try to guts it out and play our full squad four times in fourteen days
2. Rotate players in and out of the squad so no one gets more than three games over that fourteen day period.
3. Pick a game to tank, rest everyone from our first 22 bar a couple who get rested in other games.

They're all terrible, but to me option 3 has the lowest element of risk by far.

My suspicion though is the AFL are fully aware of the possibility of 20 goal blowouts on primetime TV, and are letting clubs know behind the scenes that tanking won't be tolerated, and they'll make life hard for anyone who does it.

Given they have almost a third of the fixture still to schedule they have plenty of options to do that.

Last edited:
It’s quite conceivable that Richmond might do the same thing.
I would've thought unlikely given they'd have had a six day break.

I'll say it again, its all well and good that the AFL are trying to "get away" as many games as they can, but surely you can't do that when some teams are having a significantly longer break than the others. I honestly think you can say 2-3 days is significantly longer in the context of 4 games in 13 days.

If you look at two of our opponents (Richmond and Bulldogs (I've also thrown in Port as Richmond and the Bulldogs each play them) in that block of four games who also play one another, then you see that we have less days break than those two opponents:

- Bulldogs play on (1) Thurs, 23/7 - (2) Wed, 29/7 (6 day break v Tigers) - (3) Mon 3/8 (5 day break v Port) - (4) Sat 8/8 (5 day break v Lions) - 4 games in 16 days
- Richmond play on (1) Fri, 24/7 - (2) Wed, 29/7 (5 day break v Dogs) - (3) Tues 4/8 (6 day break v Lions) - (4) Sat 8/8 (4 day break v Port) - 4 games in 15 days
- Port play on (1) Sat, 25/7 - (2) Thurs, 30/7 (5 day break v Demons) - (3) Mon 3/8 (4 day break v Bulldogs) - (4) Sat 8/8 (5 day break v Tigers) - 4 games in 14 days
- Brisbane play on (1) Sun, 26/7 - (2) Fri, 31/7 (5 day break v Bombers) - (3) Tues 4/8 (4 day break v Tigers) - (4) Sat 8/8 (4 day break v Dogs) - 4 games in 13 days

As you can see, two of our opponents in this block of games are having extra days and in Richmond's case, 2 extra days throughout this period. I still maintain that we send out a significantly weaker team against Richmond in order to give ourselves the best shot against the Dogs after playing a pretty strong Essendon on the Friday night.

I'd be surprised if the club went down that route, I think if players are right to go they will play, we have had a couple of longer breaks going into this block of games and we have a bye to come. However I do think we will see some players omitted as "managed" but not en masse. There wont be much training going on it will be all about recovery which the players probably prefer.

I really hope this allows Skinner to break into the side. I already think he's a better Forward than Hipwood and I cant believe he hasn't been given a chance. What more can he do? He literally ignited the pre-season and was the best performing forward before the season even begun.

Nope, I really really want to beat Richmond this time and put that hoodoo to rest. Go out and try our hardest on that one especially.

To me, this is the "if it bleeds" 2001 game for us.

I think we have three options:

1. Try to guts it out and play our full squad four times in fourteen days
2. Rotate players in and out of the squad so no one gets more than three games over that fourteen day period.
3. Pick a game to tank, rest everyone from our first 22 bar a couple who get rested in other games.

They're all terrible, but to me option 3 has the lowest element of risk by far.

My suspicion though is the AFL are fully aware of the possibility of 20 goal blowouts on primetime TV, and are letting clubs know behind the scenes that tanking won't be tolerated, and they'll make life hard for anyone who does it.

Given they have almost a third of the fixture still to schedule they have plenty of options to do that.

fagan won’t tank. It’s any game, any where, any time so he’ll select the team on those grounds. Some who pull up sore will get rested but that’ll be it.

Players win you games
Squads win you premierships. More so this year i think.
Unfortunately i believe we may go down the win every game route. No resting of players unless prevented by injury or suspension
A big risk which may pay off marginally in the next few weeks.
But i worry about the remaining block of fixtures which could also be compromised

On the other hand i would be happy for players that are in a 50/50 regarding fitness to just miss the next fixture.
All others that are just sore and recovering from the game should be up for selection.
Players will always put there hand up to play.
Coaches in the past have always left it up to the medical staff. For me this should only be step one regarding selection in rounds 9 to 12.
More thought and consideration required for this next block of games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By golly, this will be interesting!

Andrews, Gardiner, Neale and Hipwood are all at >90% time on ground so far this year.

Feasibly, with good management of rotating the 2nd tier players and having more managed time on ground (in which I have trust in the staff) there's no need to have games without Neale/Lyons/Zorko/Andrews/Gardiner/Rich/Cameron/Hipwood/McStay/McCluggage/Berry.

hopefully :) It will be a great test nonetheless! I'll prob also watch more other games too, to see the depth of different clubs etc. Fun times ahead!
I think Andrews has played 98.8% of game time this year which is the equal highest in the comp (some might have played slightly longer minutes if they have played longer games). Gardiner has played the 5th highest ToG% with 95.7%.

Both are complete machines

I think it's very possible to have most players getting up for all 3 games in that 8 day block. Obviously I'd be ruling a player out even if they were slightly sore. But a 4 day break should be enough time to recover as long as the Essendon game isn't too physical. Assuming there is no training and the players are only recovering. I really can't see Fagan resting 10 players against Richmond.

I think it's very possible to have most players getting up for all 3 games in that 8 day block. Obviously I'd be ruling a player out even if they were slightly sore. But a 4 day break should be enough time to recover as long as the Essendon game isn't too physical. Assuming there is no training and the players are only recovering. I really can't see Fagan resting 10 players against Richmond.
I think the AFL should adopt AFLX rules during that 4 game block of games so clubs can play all players i.e. no tackling / bumping. ;)

I remember Fagan mentioning talking to Phil Smyth about playing off short turnarounds. Hopefully we have something up our sleeve but you'd assume resting a significant amount of the team would be a last resort.

Might also favour selecting those who can play multiple positions to help rotate the midfield and share the load.

From what I can work out, this is the way the next 4 rounds go for us.
Round 9, v Essendon on 31/7. Both teams have played on 26/7 but the Dons have travelled to and from Adelaide for their previous game. Verdict: slight advantage to us.
Round 10, v Richmond on 4/8. Richmond have. 2 extra days to recover, having played on 29/7 in Queensland. Verdict: give us a break.
Round 11, v Western Bulldogs on 8/8. Bullies have an extra day on us, but have had a trip to and from Adelaide. Verdict: line ball.
Round 12, v North Melbourne on 15/8. We get an extra day’s break. Both teams have to travel to Hobart. Verdict: our favour.

in my completely inexpert opinion, we go
1. full squad against the Kangas bar Martin who would have trouble with Goldstein anyway.
2. full squad against the Bullies.
3. Compromised squad against Richmond.
4. Almost full squad against the Dons

Hopefully with the decrease in time to recover we will be able to see players such as Skinner, Witherden, Payne, Mathieson. Great opportunity to play them imo

Whatever happens, it's impossible to imagine we are going to get through this cramped block of games with "No change", "no Change", "no change" as is Fages' wont.

It's kind of exciting that we are going to see how a number of the "B" list handle their opportunities

I'd like to think there is an opportunity for anyone on the list to step up and show us what they've got

Remove this Banner Ad

Back