Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

So to that point, how do we 'trade ben brown'?

He is out of contract at years end, we have the first right to re-sign him or we negotiate a move with him, his manager and an interested party.

What I'm saying is, if we leave the door open you can enter discussions with opposition clubs then take that to Brown/his manager and say this is what we want to do - speak to to them and see if you want to go..

But this is all irrelevant because I don't think we should trade him, all I'm asking is for those who seem to be demanding it - that they submit what they think is a fair trade. I don't think more draft picks in a compromised (smaller group / high NGA / high Father-Son) is worth it.

the NGA is ridiculous.. I heard what Ross said on classified and he’s 100% right.. at what point does a champions players soon become an NGA over a father son? The draft this year is compromised.. the kangas went for two first round picks this year to get Whitfield. Brown stays on this basis. It reeked of “who is a free agent next year and what do we need” Whitfield is our target and how good it would be

the discussion of trading BBb is pointless.. the zbull is delusional. Our off field circumstances come in to play when discussing trading your only current marketable player.. If hitting the draft backfires, we’ll be moved out of victoria in aheartbeat
Marketing means * all when you lose handfuls of games in a row... consistently

How many kids do you think BBB will keep on board when we are playing the way we are? I'd hazard a guess at next to none...

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

the NGA is ridiculous.. I heard what Ross said on classified and he’s 100% right.. at what point does a champions players soon become an NGA over a father son? The draft this year is compromised.. the kangas went for two first round picks this year to get Whitfield. Brown stays on this basis. It reeked of “who is a free agent next year and what do we need” Whitfield is our target and how good it would be

Whitfield isn't a free agent. He signed an 8 year contract last year and based on his form this season he won't be getting that anywhere else.

Nobody has ever been traded whilst under contract ?

And who do you think we would get for higgin and goldstein at their age, we get peanuts and these 2 are still decent players. We need to find ways to retire off ziebell, cunnington, mcmillan and then get rid off jacobs, garner, turner, tyson. Straight off the bat, 7 middling playeres gone. I suppose you could add daws, woods, evw to this list, bang in 10 players in one hit. We need to be ultra ruthless this off season, all the fat needs to be trimmed. We have enough experienced heads around the club to guide the youngsters.

The NGA and Father Son both run counter to the equalisation objectives. Throw-in free agency. There will come a time when a reigning premier will be able to draft a kid that would have gone 1st with a pick 18 and bring in a gun free agent in the one off season.

Ok - here's the thing.

For all those saying we don't trade BBB (even for 'over the odds') and in effect we dont trade anyone any good because we will miss them - WHAT IS YOUR PLAN TO INCREASE OUR CHANCES OF WINNING A FLAG IN 5 YEARS?

(i) just get lucky in drafting
(ii) assume we will develop our players better than every other club
(iii) I would rather we keep our players and I dont care about winning flags any more - 9th is good enough - so we dont need a lot of draft picks
(iv) trade At's and Marley for a first rounder to GC; Tyson and Garner to GWS pick 10
(IV) any other thoughts welcomed.

You say ....imagine where we would be without Goldie and Higgo....we are 17th and have a terrible list.

We dont have to imagine it - we see it every week!!

It's fine for everyone to say ...don't trade anyone...don't take any risks...don't upset anyone ....BUT WHAT IS YOUR ALTERNATIVE?
There isn't an alternative. Posters are so caught up in the idea that if we trade Brown we will be s**t, that they're forgetting we are already s**t...

FWIW, if we keep Brown we keep Brown. I trust the Snoz.

And who do you think we would get for higgin and goldstein at their age, we get peanuts and these 2 are still decent players. We need to find ways to retire off ziebell, cunnington, mcmillan and then get rid off jacobs, garner, turner, tyson. Straight off the bat, 7 middling playeres gone. I suppose you could add daws, woods, evw to this list, bang in 10 players in one hit. We need to be ultra ruthless this off season, all the fat needs to be trimmed. We have enough experienced heads around the club to guide the youngsters.
Cunnington a middling player?

You're a ******* idiot mate.

Firstly I never mentioned Goldy . Secondly I said if we were going forward with a total rebuild and Brown was on the table , then we owe it to players who have been loyal to the club and given us great service to ask the question if they want to stick around through a rebuild and possibly play out of their preferred position , miss a game here and there and most likely not play finals for the rest of their career .
Now if they were both put up for trade I’d expect a 1st rd pick for both Higgins and Goldy . Both are still elite players who would be great pick ups for any contending team regardless of their age.
Their is a lot of fat to be trimmed from our list but , We are NOT retiring Cunners or Ziebell . One of them is the best inside mid in the game and the other is our captain .

Ok - here's the thing.

For all those saying we don't trade BBB (even for 'over the odds') and in effect we dont trade anyone any good because we will miss them - WHAT IS YOUR PLAN TO INCREASE OUR CHANCES OF WINNING A FLAG IN 5 YEARS?

(iii) I would rather we keep our players and I dont care about winning flags any more - 9th is good enough - so we dont need a lot of draft picks
(iv) trade At's and Marley for a first rounder to GC; Tyson and Garner to GWS pick 10

You say ....imagine where we would be without Goldie and Higgo....we are 17th and have a terrible list.

It's fine for everyone to say ...don't trade anyone...don't take any risks...don't upset anyone ....BUT WHAT IS YOUR ALTERNATIVE?

My alternative is to bring in players we draft. Let they players learn from the older players. I am not a fan of just swapping our great players for draft picks unless they want out. An example would be when Schwass wanted out and we got Grant.
We all want success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez even the best players have form slumps, very surprised at the willingness to part with one of our more consistent key position players. 4 weeks of poor play does not a career ruin, particularly for a guy who's kicked 60 year on year in a team with Jack Ziebell putting the ball inside 50.

Were the same people calling for Goldy to be traded in 2017?

Marketing means fu** all when you lose handfuls of games in a row... consistently

How many kids do you think BBB will keep on board when we are playing the way we are? I'd hazard a guess at next to none...

lol he kicked 60 when we finished15th or 16th .. i’d say a lot more than you give credit for.. i watched the fox ads during the bulldogs vs gc game.. Guess how many NMFC players were in the advertisement? One.. guess who it was? Hmmmmm

lol he kicked 60 when we finished15th or 16th .. i’d say a lot more than you give credit for.. i watched the fox ads during the bulldogs vs gc game.. Guess how many NMFC players were in the advertisement? One.. guess who it was? Hmmmmm
So what? He'll kick 25 and we'll finish 17th. No different.

We are losing, kids want to cheer not cry.

BBB is my wifes and 7 year old sons favourite player, guess what, neither are bothering to watch any more and there is nothing I can do about it...

So what? He'll kick 25 and we'll finish 17th. No different.

We are losing, kids want to cheer not cry.

BBB is my wifes and 7 year old sons favourite player, guess what, neither are bothering to watch any more and there is nothing I can do about it...

What's your point?

It's Brown's fault your family have given up?

Lol, blah blah, again, grammar Nazi first, then something nasty, finally back to where u from. Next
That's not being a grammar nazi. They're not picking up your grammar. The numbers said BB was one of our best players. You responded as if they said BB was our best player. You misunderstood them, they clarified.

Wouldnt mind the idea of floating him around at trade time, a team like Hawthorn would be veeeeery keen for a key forward, and I wouldn't mind a third top 10 pick in a pretty stacked draft.

Ok - here's the thing.

And you reckon I'm a smart arse?

There are some subtleties and nuance that you haven't detected here. Suggesting we retain brown does not mean that we shouldn't accelerate the development of existing talent. Or that people have suggested we trade our scraps for a 1st rounder. There are significant shades of grey here.

We've had 6 rising stars in around 30 rounds of footy. The rebuild is already occurring. And the suggestion we off load our best forward for a draft pick in a year that has had no competition to analyse from is non sensical. There will be at least half a dozen players moved on who have clogged our list to make way for developing talent, and there is wiggle room in the cap for other trading or free agency options that present themselves. You think that the camp that wants to retain brown are not interested in success and that the only way to do so is to trade him. Our list is moving in the right direction already, stop with the toys out of the cot routine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back