Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played almost exactly as I expected. He has been under utilised. I’d have him ahead of Narkle and Simpson as a mid, but well behind Parfitt. Narkle should be played at half forward.

Don’t want to lose him, but nor do I think he is going to do Josh Kennedy (Hawks-Swans) to us if he does go.

Narkle and Simpson play mainly forward anyway (which CC can't). They have low centre bounce attendances.

Our starting midfield is essentially Danger Selwood Guthrie Duncan and Menegola..unless you move one of them somewhere else or one of them is injured then CC has to play most of the game forward (say 70 %) and only pinch hit as a mid. This doesn't suit his skill set but it does for Simpson/Parfitt/Narkle/Fogarty/Atkins/Dahlhaus etc etc.

I am a huge Constable fan, but those numbers don't tell the whole story. Moments of beautiful vision by hand, reminds me of Jobe Watson at the coal face. There was some disappointing decisions in those disposals though. The most concerning were a couple of kicks with time that went almost directly to Freo players. Also the speed around the contest, let alone the open field, is still a worry. Of course the conditions were menacing and plenty struggled to hit the ball well. Willing to cut a decent amount of slack.

Needs more time in the seniors. He is a limited player at present, but with the right balance of outside players to work off him he could really own our inside midfield. Not sure how high to project him as talent. Really want to see more.

Yeah, I reckon he played the type of match where anyone could kind of see what they wanted to see. As in his supporters can talk about how adept he is at finding the pill - see his 19 touches from the lowest amount of game time. The bloke is a legit ball pig - you can't really teach that. Then again, I saw some pretty concerning decision making at times where he just handballed/kicked blindly to the opposition through lack of poise, rather than simple skill errors that could otherwise be excused given the conditions.

Overall though, it was his first game for however long and in those conditions he easily gets a pass mark for his work last night. There's definitely something to work with there - keep him in.

Last edited:

I’ve never been a fan of the like for like replacement. He shouldn’t need to wait for Joel or Danger to miss to get in. He doesn’t need to come into the side in the starting 18. There are 4 spots on the bench available and over time can find his position in the starting 18.

his heat map from the game shows he can be used elsewhere and still find the footy. Not one possession inside the centre square. 15B16A7A-5DF5-4583-85F7-98C89FFEFF0D.png

Narkle and Simpson play mainly forward anyway (which CC can't). They have low centre bounce attendances.

Our starting midfield is essentially Danger Selwood Guthrie Duncan and Menegola..unless you move one of them somewhere else or one of them is injured then CC has to play most of the game forward (say 70 %) and only pinch hit as a mid. This doesn't suit his skill set but it does for Simpson/Parfitt/Narkle/Fogarty/Atkins/Dahlhaus etc etc.
You can draft the right guy at the wrong time. Constable is behind a few as Pure_Ownage pointed out, and he isn't playing forward. One of the players he is behind is a 300 gamer and one of our greatest midfielders ever. Someone who has no right to be playing as well as he is at 300 games for the workload he has taken on his career. Constable might move to get games elsewhere (Sydney are the best landing spot right now) and that would be fair enough. We also might see an injury that gives an opportunity for him to stay. It makes sense for us to have him stay as long as we can, just in case, and it makes sense for him to want to get AFL time.

I think Callum Coleman-Jones is in a similar boat at the Tigers. Behind Nank and Soldo. You draft them so you don't end up where we are with no ruck. But you risk losing them when opportunities don't present.

This is a weird year. Constable will get a chance to secure a spot, or advertise his wares. I am trying to save my stress regarding his career until a few more twists have played out in 2020.

I’ve never been a fan of the like for like replacement. He shouldn’t need to wait for Joel or Danger to miss to get in. He doesn’t need to come into the side in the starting 18. There are 4 spots on the bench available and over time can find his position in the starting 18.

his heat map from the game shows he can be used elsewhere and still find the footy. Not one possession inside the centre square.
There weren't many centre square possessions to share round last night; it's probably very atypical.

Yeah, I reckon he played the type of match where anyone could kind of see what they wanted to see. As in his supporters can talk about how adept he is at finding the pill - see his 19 touches from the lowest amount of game time. The bloke is a legit ball pig - you can't really teach that. Then again, I saw some pretty concerning decision making at times where he just handballed/kicked blindly to the opposition through lack of poise, rather than simple skill errors that could otherwise be excused given the conditions.

Overall though, it was first game for however long and in those conditions he easily gets a pass mark for his work last night. There's definitely something to work with there - keep him in.
Dead on. I think that perfectly sums up his night.

his heat map from the game shows he can be used elsewhere and still find the footy. Not one possession inside the centre square.
A function of only a handful of goals being kicked and instead the game being about territory up and down the wing. Not as much an argument for his versatility as you think

I liked his game but the lack of TOG is still a concern If it indicates his endurance hasn't improved...need to see him in the dry to judge that.

It indicates nothing necessarily he was a secondary playing more bench time who happened to collect around 20 possessions, ... what's not to like??
First game back mind you.
If Geelong lose him it's a tragedy of fooling ourselves with the irrelevant hypothetical.

Scarlett has said it in media interviews twice IIRC that Constable isn't playing because while they rate him they see him as only really capable of playing as an inside midfielder, that he is behind Selwood and Danger, and they don't feel they have room in the side to carry another one. That's dressed up differently to how SEN have portrayed it but it is basically the same message, and would seem to be confirmed by the circumstances of his selection this week.
Also in that last year when he was playing it was while Selwood was on the wing.

Clark to the wing and Selwood to the middle was what killed it I think.

I still prefer Clark at half back with that leg of his

I really don't understand why he gets so much attention. Nobody is wondering why Fogarty wasn't getting games or suggesting he wants out and I'd be more disappointed losing him than Constable. I just don't see what Constable's point of difference is.

With our injury issues and so many games coming up we'll need him to play a role and that'll give him a chance to show more. But nothing last night suggested he was particularly unlucky not to be picked until now. He's a midfielder who lacks versatility and is clearly behind Selwood, Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola and Parfitt. That's basically the entire midfield already. Then there are a stack of others (Cockatoo, Steven, Narkle, Simpson) who can rotate through midfield rather than being to play there full time.

It's a tough gig but he just hasn't shown enough standout qualities to deserve a spot except when injuries force it.

I really don't understand why he gets so much attention. Nobody is wondering why Fogarty wasn't getting games or suggesting he wants out and I'd be more disappointed losing him than Constable. I just don't see what Constable's point of difference is.

With our injury issues and so many games coming up we'll need him to play a role and that'll give him a chance to show more. But nothing last night suggested he was particularly unlucky not to be picked until now. He's a midfielder who lacks versatility and is clearly behind Selwood, Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola and Parfitt. That's basically the entire midfield already. Then there are a stack of others (Cockatoo, Steven, Narkle, Simpson) who can rotate through midfield rather than being to play there full time.

It's a tough gig but he just hasn't shown enough standout qualities to deserve a spot except when injuries force it.
When he was drafted we got him for what was considered a steal at #36, most phantoms had him going top 10-15. He is a prototypical modern midfielder, tall, good user of the ball but a little slow. There is one particularly popular (albeit usually wrong) AFL trade rumour FB page that posts about him wanting to leave Geelong all the time which is why I think the topic comes up a lot.

Another "report" with zero quotes from either player or club.
Sounds like another opinion piece trying to come across as fact.

The overall veracity of the 'will not play etc' could be tested very soon, if he stays in the side for example when Selwood comes back.

Whether he is generally a player who will look around at his options or have his manger do that.... , I'd say that alone is probably so normal thats its almost not news worthy ... so do they use the Selwood Dangerfield aspect to make an article..its probable.

Id also say it's probable that he has been told to try to improve his versatility so that you can be selected regularly etc rather than the negative but thats media.

I suspect the underlying emphasis will be something we have substantiated.., that is... if he doesn't stay in the side for a large chunk of games. He will look at his options and other clubs will enquire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's because if a small thing called finding the football is still important, then he's shown some serious talent in that area. More in fact that just about any other midfielder we've had in a long, long time. I would have thought that might be a positive. The attention is purely some saying he deserves selection every now again. And now it gets twisted to "but you said he'll be a star, you love him!" etc. Still haven't seen enough. Seems to know how to find the footy though.

I'm not convinced he's that far behind Parfitt. There's not a lot between them. And there is no way that Cockatoo - who averages less than 10 touches a game, and hasn't played a senior game in over two years - is currently ahead in any midfield capacity.

There weren't many centre square possessions to share round last night; it's probably very atypical.
If he’s as 1 dimensional as suggested on here and in the media then less centre bounces should therefore mean Chook should have had very little involvement in the game. He’s still managed 19 touches around the ground. That tells me there are 9 positions in the starting 22 he could be selected for(5 midfield & 4 interchange).

i do agree, 1 game is not a big enough sample size to see any change. Which is the concern for a lot of people, he needs to be played more so we can determine if he is good enough or not.

I’m on the fence with Constable. I can see he gets plenty of it but I can also see he doesn’t always make the right decision when he gets it. He looks a bit rushed at times. These are issues that could be rectified but only with more experience.

I think he deserves the same opportunities that were granted to Zuthrie and Parsons before him.

If he’s as 1 dimensional as suggested on here and in the media then less centre bounces should therefore mean Chook should have had very little involvement in the game. He’s still managed 19 touches around the ground. That tells me there are 9 positions in the starting 22 he could be selected for(5 midfield & 4 interchange).

i do agree, 1 game is not a big enough sample size to see any change. Which is the concern for a lot of people, he needs to be played more so we can determine if he is good enough or not.

I’m on the fence with Constable. I can see he gets plenty of it but I can also see he doesn’t always make the right decision when he gets it. He looks a bit rushed at times. These are issues that could be rectified but only with more experience.

I think he deserves the same opportunities that were granted to Zuthrie and Parsons before him.

Wouldn't it be more like 7 positions in the 22 - 4 interchange and 3 centre square midfield positions.

Not sure he's started too many times on the wing and not sure he's suited to that type of role - what we've seen of him so far, he doesn't seem to have the endurance or pace to really play on the wings, so not sure that would be seen as a starting position for him at like a centre bounce situation

Seems that if he's not standing around the centre circle waiting for the tap, then he's on the bench - hence 7 spots

You dont understand the difference in views between fogerty and constable?
Constable has only played 8 games for the club and already aversges over 21 touches a game. Fogerty has played double that and averages less then 13. Both are slow players. Fogarty also has diabolical disposal. Constable averages more then twice as many goals per game as fogarty.

Wouldn't it be more like 7 positions in the 22 - 4 interchange and 3 centre square midfield positions.

Not sure he's started too many times on the wing and not sure he's suited to that type of role - what we've seen of him so far, he doesn't seem to have the endurance or pace to really play on the wings, so not sure that would be seen as a starting position for him at like a centre bounce situation

Seems that if he's not standing around the centre circle waiting for the tap, then he's on the bench - hence 7 spots
Why couldnt he rest up forward or on a back flank for 10 mins a game?

Overall though, it was his first game for however long and in those conditions he easily gets a pass mark for his work last night. There's definitely something to work with there - keep him in.
And danger, selwood, duncan, kelly dont all have those games where there disposal is just terrible?

The only mid who doesnt is ablett.

That's a perfect summary TheMenz Gallery. I'm also a bit on the fence but I'm a fan overall as he's got fantastic potential.
That's his eighth game and so far his lowest possession game has been 17 - after which he was dropped.
19 last night with low TOG and horrendous conditions was very solid.
He did look rushed at times , particularly early and in congestion but when he took possession in space he made great decisions and a few led to scores.
His height was valuable at times as demonstrated by seeing options outside of the immediate contest. Once he finds a bit more poise his effectiveness will increase.
He kicked a few helicopters but he wasn't on his own there ;)
What you see is what you get - a young inside mid who gets his hands on it regularly who has some strong attributes and some deficiencies.

I am a fence sitter on Charlie 50/50 yes gets heaps of the footy is he clean no so he still has things to work on...he is no rolls royce like josh kelly

As Partridge said, I think it is the number of possessions. There was a period there where our best mids in the VFL would struggle to get 20 touches, and our seniors weren't winning the midfield battle. It felt like we lacked ball winners coming through. Especially when you'd look across at the outrageous numbers Tom Mitchell was getting and then brought to Hawthorn.

Now we know that ball winning isn't the be all and end all. See Ryan Clarke at Sydney, and Sier at Collingwood, both have struggled to get games in seniors in the middle. However it was certainly exciting to see someone get lots of disposals in the VFL reports and then translate that to good numbers in the seniors.

Fogarty was hurt a while, and appears to have the ability to play a flank (though I am also concerned about his speed and delivery). Less exciting. I still think Fogarty's best position will also be in the middle but he is even further back than Constable from getting a gig there. Plus Cooper Stephens has arrived. My projected midfield in two years doesn't have a lot of room for Fogarty right now.

I am a huge Constable fan, but those numbers don't tell the whole story. Moments of beautiful vision by hand, reminds me of Jobe Watson at the coal face. There was some disappointing decisions in those disposals though. The most concerning were a couple of kicks with time that went almost directly to Freo players. Also the speed around the contest, let alone the open field, is still a worry. Of course the conditions were menacing and plenty struggled to hit the ball well. Willing to cut a decent amount of slack.

Needs more time in the seniors. He is a limited player at present, but with the right balance of outside players to work off him he could really own our inside midfield. Not sure how high to project him as talent. Really want to see more.

These issues are what saw him one of the big sliders his draft year to us at 36 when alot had him going first round.

It's because if a small thing called finding the football is still important, then he's shown some serious talent in that area. More in fact that just about any other midfielder we've had in a long, long time. I would have thought that might be a positive. The attention is purely some saying he deserves selection every now again. And now it gets twisted to "but you said he'll be a star, you love him!" etc. Still haven't seen enough. Seems to know how to find the footy though.

But he doesn't win clearances (less last year than Parsons, Guthrie, Narkle, etc despite playing way more midfield time). He doesn't win big contested numbers (only 9 contested possessions last night despite it being a game with high contested possessions numbers). So he's a midfielder who gets most of his ball in link up play but isn't especially damaging with the ball and doesn't have the tank to outrun his opponents like a Menegola. Again I just don't see the point of difference that will see him make it.

As far as I can tell people get super excited by him getting possessions because he plays 100% in midfield. He averaged only 3 possessions a game more than Parfitt last year despite playing almost entirely in midfield while Parfitt was playing as a defensive forward a lot of the year. It doesn't suggest a big difference in ball winning ability.

I'm not convinced he's that far behind Parfitt. There's not a lot between them.

This is just silly. Parfitt is a key to us because his defensive game is excellent. He averaged almost double the tackles of any other player in our team. He's already received coaches votes in 2 games this year and he's only played 6. Even last night when people are talking up Constable they had the same number of effective disposals but Parfitt had more tackles, clearances, contested possessions, score involvements and goal assists. Basically people are talking up Constable's game based on a few uncontested and ineffective disposals. I'll take Parfitt by the length of the straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back