Preview Rnd 9 - Carlton v Hawthorn Friday 31st July 5.40PM (AEST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish young Moore all the best and applaud the MC for sticking with him.

What we saw last week was surely first game nerves. He is better than that.
HE HAS TO BE!!

I would have thought TDK but it is a decision IMO that says a lot about DT.

He will back his players and persevere , encourage and support them.

Now it is up to Callum to step up and repay this faith.

A skinny young fella called Kade Simpson didn't get a touch in his first three games.... !

Late call up last week (although probably knew a day or two out he was a fair chance of playing) - hopefully teague told him he was in early in the week and can be mentally prepared to play - no excuses this week if he delivers the same tripe he did last week.

Last edited:

It was a weird week of votes - did Shaw think he was best on and teague didnt have him in the top 5 (and who knows where he had him) or vice-versa?

It was weird .... must admit I thought Shaw might've given him 5 votes for some mayo added to a certain incident after the 3 quarter time bell went.

I wish young Moore all the best and applaud the MC for sticking with him.

What we saw last week was surely first game nerves. He is better than that.
HE HAS TO BE!!

I would have thought TDK but it is a decision IMO that says a lot about DT.

He will back his players and persevere , encourage and support them.

Now it is up to Callum to step up and repay this faith.

A skinny young fella called Kade Simpson didn't get a touch in his first three games.... !
You are a very generous person.
As Moore is playing I wish him only the best and that he has a blinder for us.
Or just no disastrous mistakes will do.

I think I'd rather have him preserve himself in one or two contests a game and be available week to week rather than go in hard an be injured, missing a month or two.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Past deeds have no influence on what needs to happen today.
Here we have double standards which is toxic in a footy team.
Are those same allowances being afforded to O’Brien for example ...

I'm still unsure of Moore.
Would have been happier having played Kennedy forward and rotating with Cripps.

If Casboult doesn't ruck, as he didn't last week, maybe he shouldn't be playing at all.
I'm not sure I want to see Ceglar or McEvoy against Moore this week. If Moore was to ruck, maybe TDK would have been the better option.

We'll want to be hitting our targets this week.
Wouldn't want to leave this game thinking - We could have done with some more speed.

Sicily is their rebound / intercept defender, he goes where the ball is. Cut his ability to intercept and their backline breaks down.
Gives Moore a definitive role as he looked lost last week in my opinion. May suit his "skill-set" a little better.

Like oppo teams have been doing with Dochers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope blokes like Moore don’t pop in here to see what we plebs think. Not exactly a confidence builder. Then again even former captains with over 270 experience get pilloried here. Best avoided I suspect.

Regardless of how good or 'not so good' they are, they're playing AFL footy, which is a level that 98.5% of us plebs have never done.
I wouldn't think they'd give a s**t what any of us write! 😀

O.K. so we know what Moore has to do. A 'Lamb' like influence wouldn't go astray.

Hawthorn are much stronger (on paper) than they were last week.
We won't want the likes of Wingard, Breust and Impey turning us inside out.

If there is one thing that the last few years has taught me - it's that rushing players back from injury to try and rescue a season usually ends badly.

I think this might be compounded further by the lack of a decent second tier competition this year.

Sicily is their rebound / intercept defender, he goes where the ball is. Cut his ability to intercept and their backline breaks down.
Gives Moore a definitive role as he looked lost last week in my opinion. May suit his "skill-set" a little better.

As long as the umpires don't start pinging soft frees against Moore for body checks.

I'm really nervous about how this one is going to be officiated. Suuuurely with the talk in the media about how harshly Cripps has been treated, plus the umpire-bashing from Clarko, the folks in green will look on us a little more favourably. Could just as easily go the other way and they just start blowing the whistle for anything, in which case I worry that we'll be a bit less disciplined than the Hawks.

Do you ask Moore to play a negating role on Sicily?
They've got Frawley, Frost, Stratton, Sicily, Hardwick, Scrimshaw & Impey down back as their 7 defenders (including bench).

If we're playing Levi, Harry, Moore, Martin, Gibbons, Eddie plus the likes of Kennedy, Cripps & Cuningham bobbing up as rotating mids, then having 4 taller/stronger overhead markers up forward at any time probably means Sicily has to be accountable for one of them.

Ideally we want the one that Sicily is defending (you know, as much as he will in their defensive structure) to be able to really put some pressure on him when he has the ball, particularly as he's disposing it. I'd cop a free against early for a (marginally) late hit if it rattles him a little and makes him feel like he has to get rid of it quick. He's such a good kick, don't want him lazily amassing possessions and moving the ball back upfield at will.

One thing I like about Moore keeping his spot for this game, is the confidence it gives to the younger players and the other players coming up from the 2s.

It isn’t good for any aspiring player to think they will be thrown back to the 2nds if they fail to have a good game first up, unless they are in purely because of injury.

I love that we are making the players in the 2s earn it, I just wish we weren’t suffering from an injury run, so that we could be putting the same pressure on the 1s players.

I'm still unsure of Moore.
Would have been happier having played Kennedy forward and rotating with Cripps.

If Casboult doesn't ruck, as he didn't last week, maybe he shouldn't be playing at all.
I'm not sure I want to see Ceglar or McEvoy against Moore this week. If Moore was to ruck, maybe TDK would have been the better option.

We'll want to be hitting our targets this week.
Wouldn't want to leave this game thinking - We could have done with some more speed.

Hard to really assess him after only one game.

I think one of the major differences with Teague is he is more focused on individual roles and getting players to play to individual strengths, rather than the 'system' approach of Bolton.

All speculation - but I think that's probably why we're not seeing a lot of flux at selection - because individually guys aren't deviating from the role they've been asked to play.

They've got Frawley, Frost, Stratton, Sicily, Hardwick, Scrimshaw & Impey down back as their 7 defenders (including bench).

If we're playing Levi, Harry, Moore, Martin, Gibbons, Eddie plus the likes of Kennedy, Cripps & Cuningham bobbing up as rotating mids, then having 4 taller/stronger overhead markers up forward at any time probably means Sicily has to be accountable for one of them.

Ideally we want the one that Sicily is defending (you know, as much as he will in their defensive structure) to be able to really put some pressure on him when he has the ball, particularly as he's disposing it. I'd cop a free against early for a (marginally) late hit if it rattles him a little and makes him feel like he has to get rid of it quick. He's such a good kick, don't want him lazily amassing possessions and moving the ball back upfield at will.
I would like to see us "GET IN HIS FACE" and niggle, harass him all night....He dont like it and gets undisciplined !!

If he is cutting us up with intercept marking as he can do very well I would put Weiters to him and make him accountable
and the way Jacob going probably score as well ...WIN WIN :D

I love the debate on this forum. Especially in the lead up to the opening bounce..
There is always a whinge about this player or that player.
If we can only have a whine about the merits of Murphy, then we are in a bloody good place.
He was still in amongst the best players last week, So can't understand the fuss.
I'm sure we can remember, NOT that long ago, we had to pick players like:
Kerridge, Smedts, Palmer, Buckley, LeBois, Boekhorst, Fasolo, Graham, etc. You get the point.
I hope this brings a smile to the collective faces. We are in very good shape, even with some very good players on the sidelines.
Tonight is huge. I'm nervous but excited.

Hard to really assess him after only one game.

I think one of the major differences with Teague is he is more focused on individual roles and getting players to play to individual strengths, rather than the 'system' approach of Bolton.

All speculation - but I think that's probably why we're not seeing a lot of flux at selection - because individually guys aren't deviating from the role they've been asked to play.

I saw plenty of Moore through pre-season training and match-sim and there was little that stood out to me.
Seemed very upright and once the ball went behind him, it was gone. Maybe he had a sore back at the time, but he looked anything but an athlete.
Matthew Watson came to mind.

Things may have changed since though and I'm sure he's been given a role to play.
I just don't want to see him in the ruck though, as that would tell us that there's still an issue with Casboult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back