Autopsy Round 9: Hawks beat up on the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we have something with Impey forward. I (along with most others) have been crying out for his speed / run etc out of the back half but gee he looked dangerous as a forward. Something we've lacked since Cyril left. I don't know....it just looked promising!!

I think we have something with Impey forward. I (along with most others) have been crying out for his speed / run etc out of the back half but gee he looked dangerous as a forward. Something we've lacked since Cyril left. I don't know....it just looked promising!!
His goal was basically just his standard laser-like field kicking hitting up a target through the goals. I like it.

That’s the system we all called for and it worked

1. McEvoy/Ceglar rotating tuck and forward, none of this backline BS and TOB 2nd Ruckman
2. Mitchell mid no 1 and Worpel mid 2, they rotate through with Shiels or JOM but the 3rd mid like tonight was always Wingard, Burgoyne, Smith it Breust.
3. Frost, Frawley and Sicily are the 3 talls no ifs or buts they gave away so much height yet still do a great job as there great players in there role.
4. If you play Stratton his only role is a shutdown role as he can’t kick. Have no idea why Hardwick played on Papley but Stratton owned Betts.
5. Letting Scully own a wing, his running is a weapon if you let him use it.
6. The speed in our forward line was great. Use the 2 ruckman for the contest or mark and then go which we did and owned the FWD half corridor.

Anyways as a fan loved it, Blues complained about every free which were clearly there yet we get penalised for seriously soft frees but that’s the blues fans for ya

Overall fun to see Day and Impey running around.

The only thing i hate about Impey as a forward is the fact we don't have a second one to play off half back as well... What a player he is!

Don’t underestimate the group quickly understanding that what was not achievable last week(quick ball movement) was all of a sudden a possibility with Impey and Breust in the forward half.

We soon saw taps to advantage, ranging handballs to moving players, space, movement. All of these things started to come together and the shackles of tentativeness of the last few weeks got blown off as we hit the scoreboard from taking the game on.

Everyone knows that the game is played above the shoulders, but that was never more evident or contrasting than in today’s match.

1.Rabble, We've sent too far many picks for Wingard/O'Meara/Impey/Mitchell, Absolutely no effect on the game

Wait, We won?

1.Edited by a mod...umm, Don Scott, I'm not best pleased with you!
2.Also edited by a slightly prudish mod...won't someone think of the children?
3.Impey amazing and the boys seen to love him
4.Makes me a bit calmer that the Carlton boards as full of reactive nitwits like we were last week,
5.Breust's work is amazing in the forwardline

Much more rounded, forwardline worked a lot better together, Looks like we were much better balanced around the park

10 Goal turnaround in 60 odd minutes is amazing, Clarkson you ******* Gem.
Excuse me Prudish mod, I wiki'd it he's over 18 fair game

That’s the system we all called for and it worked

1. McEvoy/Ceglar rotating tuck and forward, none of this backline BS and TOB 2nd Ruckman
2. Mitchell mid no 1 and Worpel mid 2, they rotate through with Shiels or JOM but the 3rd mid like tonight was always Wingard, Burgoyne, Smith it Breust.
3. Frost, Frawley and Sicily are the 3 talls no ifs or buts they gave away so much height yet still do a great job as there great players in there role.
4. If you play Stratton his only role is a shutdown role as he can’t kick. Have no idea why Hardwick played on Papley but Stratton owned Betts.
5. Letting Scully own a wing, his running is a weapon if you let him use it.
6. The speed in our forward line was great. Use the 2 ruckman for the contest or mark and then go which we did and owned the FWD half corridor.

Anyways as a fan loved it, Blues complained about every free which were clearly there yet we get penalised for seriously soft frees but that’s the blues fans for ya

Overall fun to see Day and Impey running around.
Agreee with everything cept your first point. McEvoy rotated back for most of the game and played a pretty great game. Ceglar mostly rotates forward.

One thing I definitely noticed is that Worpel and Mitchell were rarely together in the same contest. I think they've been treading on each others toes. Worpel and Jeager played a year together, Mitchell and Jeager played a year together, but Worpel and Mitchel had only played a few games together before this season. They need to get some familiarity with each other's games.

We played well and Carlton were due for a downer.
They went LWLW last four so you are correct but we went LLLL
Don't underestimate the value of the UP game from our boys please

Excuse me Prudish mod, I wiki'd it he's over 18 fair game
In defense is the self styled prudish mod this isn't an 18+ site

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved how Breust etc high fived Clarko after the game he is not being traded. Just adding him, Impey added so much more pace
Absolutely and i really do hope tonight is the night that finally shows people how important he is to us.

He is my favourite player from the three peat Hawks, even over the Cyrils, Hodges, Mitchells etc. I think will go down as the second best small forward of this era only behind Betts and you could argue he has a much more complete resume.

You look at his numbers and he is now in the top 10 for goals kicked all time at the club. And will very likely finish at least 7th on that list with some all time AFL greats ahead of him. He is a seriously special player that is far too often looked.

Cheers mate im 57 with a bung back ,my mate told them how brave they were but thankfully no blows struck.
Impressive from hawks too good.
I'm sorry you had such a s**t experience today my man. Flogs everywhere regardless. I hope you and your mate were able to have a good time out and about in these trying times regardless.

Absolutely and i really do hope tonight is the night that finally shows people how important he is to us.

He is my favourite player from the three peat Hawks, even over the Cyrils, Hodges, Mitchells etc. I think will go down as the second best small forward of this era only behind Betts and you could argue he has a much more complete resume.

You look at his numbers and he is now in the top 10 for goals kicked all time at the club. And will very likely finish at least 7th on that list with some all time AFL greats ahead of him. He is a seriously special player that is far too often looked.
Betts has never performed in the biggest games. Breust has. Breust every day of the week.

Betts has never performed in the biggest games. Breust has. Breust every day of the week.
Betts is a champion small forward
As is Breust as is Sizzle

One does not preclude the other.
They have different strengths and where you rate them against each other is your choice but Betts is a champ

Can’t agree more. He’s one of those payers that take their absence to highlight their importance. In previous years we could cover but this year it was stark
100% AGREE. I still dont understand why he isnt in the discussion when the great small forwards are discussed. He averages 15D, 4T and 2G per game over his 212 game career. Absolutely elite.

100% AGREE. I still dont understand why he isnt in the discussion when the great small forwards are discussed. He averages 15D, 4T and 2G per game over his 212 game career. Absolutely elite.
Because he played alongside Rioli. Hard to imagine having the 2 best small forwards of the modern era playing in the same team at the same time. (Plus the best defensive/pressure forward)

Remember, he came 2nd in a B&F in his 2nd year playing as a small forward. That's unheard of. Even more so when you factor in that he was playing along side Buddy Franklin, who he beat that year. The same Buddy who the previous year had kicked 100+ goals.

Rioli is, I think, also one of only 2 small forwards to win a Norm Smith Medal since the AFL came to be. Paul Chapman being the other. Happy to be corrected on this.

When you're up against that, people often forget how important you are especially when you're not trying to get yourself in the highlights every game kicking goals from the boundary line at the easiest ground to kick them at (AO).

I agree but I reckon he'll end up back again.
Clarko "resting" him in forward line for now I reckon.

Jeez the Game Day thread from about 5.50 onwards makes for some funny reading. I made a conceited effort not to go near BigFooty until now and I think it will be my new ritual when our games are in now.
Keeping well and truly away from it these days myself - especially when losing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back