Autopsy Round 16, 2023 : Hawks get the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

I felt like we over possessed in the first half with too many handballs.
And so many seemed to be delivered at the feet of a team mate but that could be just an indicator of Carltons pressure.

I haven't checked the stats but it felt better in the 2nd half.

Good crowd too. 66k.

Frost has had horrific disposal for his whole career, including before he even got to Hawthorn.

It is actually amazing he has had such a long career.

If you look back he's only played for bottom four sides essentially his whole career. His win percentage would rival Kade Simpson's. Once GWS started to improve he was off, and then once Melbourne started to improve he was off again.

Now of course I'm not blaming him for that, but it is a reflection of his abilities. He's a battler that works hard and gives his all, but he is missing just too much from his game to be a viable option in a decent side.

Ok then make Sir Doug Nicholls round NAIDOC or make sure everyone knows it’s NAIDOC week

I don't think us not wearing the Brown and Gold stripes for one game is as big of a crisis that you think it is.

Forgot the best bit of todays game

McKay marked 20metre out - straight in front ! (Certain goal)

Proceeded to turn sideways to do an ‘around the body kick’ to make sure

This fired up the Hawk supporters, and Harry subsequently missed !!!!!!!

Not only did the ‘window licker’ miss - he actually didn’t make the distance which Seamus duly marked !!!!

The joy, the cheers, the jeers ……what a *ing spud that McKay is
(Can hear blues supporters channeling Casboult to come home)
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Made my day
For a bloke on the pay packet he is on he should never be told to kick it around the corner from straight in front. Made me laugh as well despite the state of the game. All they did was show up today Carlton. Didn't do anything else. There still average and they still won't make finals.

A few random thoughts:

1. In the opening minutes we had a couple of forward entries and Mac was up and about but missed with both shots. Can't help wondering if it might have been a different story if he had nailed both. Confidence is a big thing with a young team and an aggressive game plan.
2. Frost is a goer and may well be calmly educating and organising the back line when the ball is elsewhere. However he is chaotic with ball in hand. Maybe it is time for him to hang up the boots and take on as assisting coaching role in the AFWL.
3. Ward, Weddle, Mitchell and Morrison were among our best. The first three have 41 games between them and the fourth is in and out of our best 22. Where were the senior players when they were needed?
4. Awful game but more or less as expected for a young team.

I know it was ugly to watch but i honestly think a lot of it came down to Carlton's pressure. They had a lot more to play for than we did and they were all switched on. We just didn't or couldn't (hopefully the first one) go with them. We have a lot of gaps in the list and when the opposition comes to play its not surprising they control the game. We just have to use these losses to really truly identify what missing and make a plan to over come those deficiencies. The DGB to fwd line could be one of those revelations.

This draft/trade period we really need to focus on the 2 ends of the ground particularly up front. Our fwd line is missing so many elements and add to that the idea of Bruest retiring soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We saw what happened last year when Frost was on a giant Key forward (2MP). We targeted Blanck of the back of that particular match. Getting harshly judged a bit is Blanck. The way the ball was being delivered to McKay he had little chance to impact many contests. As an aerialist McKay is one of the best in the game.

We saw what happened last year when Frost was on a giant Key forward (2MP). We targeted Blanck of the back of that particular match. Getting harshly judged a bit is Blanck. The way the ball was being delivered to McKay he had little chance to impact many contests. As an aerialist McKay is one of the best in the game.
Yep it is harsh i agree as you can see Blanck is giving his all, but he's def more suited to the third tall so our lack of options has thrust him into playing this key role.

Come on SYL. Yes we all know mate. Home game against Carlton and we don’t wear our traditional top. For a club going through a racism scandal it comes across as very poor. Look at us, we wear a indigenous top, we arnt racist
Over correction at its finest
I hope you completely recover from the head knock.

If you look back he's only played for bottom four sides essentially his whole career. His win percentage would rival Kade Simpson's. Once GWS started to improve he was off, and then once Melbourne started to improve he was off again.

Now of course I'm not blaming him for that, but it is a reflection of his abilities. He's a battler that works hard and gives his all, but he is missing just too much from his game to be a viable option in a decent side.
You are being incredibly generous. He was deplorable today. Trouble is, he has zero value, draft and trade capital wise. Effort is one thing, giving it back, and goals scored against with ease is disgusting.

Last edited:
We had a bad week at selection and in game.

Weddle on Curnow. WTF.
Says a bit about how much we rate Weddle. I thought it was a feather in his cap that he was even given the job in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back