Autopsy Round 8, 2023 : Hawks get docked

Remove this Banner Ad

We aren't exactly brimming with players who can play on a wing.

Harry had a shocker but had plenty of mates. At least he dug in and redeemed himself in the second half. The same couldn't be said for the majority of our side.

He s been in the system 6 years ....he's below average and not good enough .....try Jitah who is not a defender or Weddle there

Like Billy H and Tim Clarke in years gone buy, needs to be delisted asap

No

I didn't think we d be last with a % of 60 not looking like we know what we are doing in 4.5 from 8 games either though , with a decimated Eagles who get belted by 100+ at home above us
I advise you to stop looking at the scoreboard.

Maybe my viewing wasn't sullied by the BigFooty game day thread and subsequent autopsy thread but I felt Harry was one of our better players by the end of the game.

Where things went horribly wrong was our backline. Hardwick the only one who could really hold his head up high after that effort. We looked a mess against one of the most iffy forward lines in the comp, whatever we're doing back there just isn't working.

Maybe my viewing wasn't sullied by the BigFooty game day thread and subsequent autopsy thread but I felt Harry was one of our better players by the end of the game.

Where things went horribly wrong was our backline. Hardwick the only one who could really hold his head up high after that effort. We looked a mess against one of the most iffy forward lines in the comp, whatever we're doing back there just isn't working.
Harry is whipping boy number 1, followed by frost at 2.
They could kick a winning goal after coming on as sub with a minute to go in the game, and the masses would be saying they should've done more and it is their fault it was so close.

Reminds me of schoenmakers and Tom Murphy. The amount of times you'd hear people blame them for so.ething when they weren't even on the ground was hilarious

You really thought we’d be the finished product, executing game styles, by round 8 with 10 players under 50 games?
Supporters are just looking for positive signs. And of course Mitch as a coach is still a relatively unknown quantity so it is natural that supporters will want to know that we are in good hands ... My view is that he is testing the waters with his players and game styles to understand what works and what doesn't. Its pretty clear that he wants to be aggressive and every so often he will select a game where we pull the trigger to see how the players have progressed. And of course he and his team need will improve as well .... We just need to keep the faith !!!

He s been in the system 6 years ....he's below average and not good enough .....try Jitah who is not a defender or Weddle there

Weddle is a baby who is still learning to cope with league footy let alone play a position he's never played as a junior.

CJ has been more fumbly and error prone than Morrison all year. I'd love to see CJ move up to the wing but if you are excusing CJ's play this year while raking Morrison over the coals you aren't looking with objective eyes.

Morrison is slow, turns it over too much and is a liability defensively
Id play CJ on the wing just on the basis his weapons offer more than what Morrison can
His disposal may not be good, but at least he has weapons the other side may worry about

I don't mind Morrison, but he's got a Daniel Howe feel to it playing wing.

He'll probably play 20 games this year, but unlikely feature much in 2024.

Last edited:

Pretty harsh words - but he gets rag-dolled too easily and like you I don't see a place for him in the big picture. I'm not as close to the game as some (not by choice) but I see some similarities to McDonald and think we should put our time into him instead, as I think we have already seen the ceiling for Morrison. I agree that that we should put time into up-skilling CJ or Weddle to the role. I'm just mindful that Weds is still an 18 yo playing against men so maybe train CJ up at BH and work to to get his confidence back up. On another note I hope Lewis has pulled up ok, am still worried about him being brought straight back into the fray and developing some niggles after his time away.

Weddle is a baby who is still learning to cope with league footy let alone play a position he's never played as a junior.

CJ has been more fumbly and error prone than Morrison all year. I'd love to see CJ move up to the wing but if you are excusing CJ's play this year while raking Morrison over the coals you aren't looking with objective eyes.
Weddle was AA full back last year.

Despite having a stack of hbfs we still lack someone of quality of Hayden young from freo who can break lines and also kick long with precision - he was very good. We have guys with pace, or good kicks but no one who really does both (day was probably the guy but now a mid). Seamus and scrim seem to prefer to kick short / don’t have the 50-55m range.

I also think the criticisms of Morrison are largely fair. He’s a senior player playing outside roles who is turning it over it far too often (and often under limited pressure). He doesn’t break lines, contest well or mark so if he’s butchering it he’s not adding much. Needs to sharpen his decision making and disposal a fair bit. He’ll likely keep getting games however as we lack better wing options at this stage. There no doubt he works hard and clearly had a better second half.

Morrison was playing half back after half time / 3qtr time i will have to watch the game again to see exactly when. Those talking about his game on the wing need to take that into account. He was switched back there to provide a link between the backs and the forwards. He also moved there to help change the way we brough the ball forward. The helter-skelter first half wasn't working too many turnovers. While a lot of our players around the ground had their heads down bemoaning our performance he kept going trying to impact and kept getting the ball. An admirable quality to keep fighting when all is lost.

Morrison was probably in our best 5 players and it will be reflected in the coaches votes for the game come the PCM mark it down if you will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite having a stack of hbfs we still lack someone of quality of Hayden young from freo who can break lines and also kick long with precision - he was very good. We have guys with pace, or good kicks but no one who really does both (day was probably the guy but now a mid). Seamus and scrim seem to prefer to kick short / don’t have the 50-55m range.

I also think the criticisms of Morrison are largely fair. He’s a senior player playing outside roles who is turning it over it far too often (and often under limited pressure). He doesn’t break lines, contest well or mark so if he’s butchering it he’s not adding much. Needs to sharpen his decision making and disposal a fair bit. He’ll likely keep getting games however as we lack better wing options at this stage. There no doubt he works hard and clearly had a better second half.
Hayden is a good player but we have one of our own who has just started his career down back in S.Mitchell wait till he gets to 40+ games and 22 years old. Morrison does contest well he had 5 contested possessions for the game and 4 tackles people judge him on a different scale. There were mistakes made by all of our players. His just seem to be the ones that get pointed out because he and Frost are the scapegoats every week it gets tiresome seeing the same whinge every week. Especially since Frosty is also our best defender

Last edited:
Hayden is a good player but we have one of our own who has just started his career down back in S.Mitchell wait till he gets to 40+ games and 22 years old
I like seamus a lot. He can defend (had a good contest on walters at one stage) and has an attacking mindset and is clearly quick. Just haven’t seen him really kick the ball long with penetration. That extra 5-10m that guys like Birchall, hodge and suckling had makes a big difference in carving through zones. Sicily can do it but doesn’t have the run.

It’s also a bit of Morrison problem - he’s getting the ball in defensive 50 but is really only a 40m kick off two steps - which is right in zone where the opposition is sweating the turnover from defence - they are coming forward to meet the ball and our player is flat footed.

I like seamus a lot. He can defend (had a good contest on walters at one stage) and has an attacking mindset and is clearly quick. Just haven’t seen him really kick the ball long with penetration. That extra 5-10m that guys like Birchall, hodge and suckling had makes a big difference in carving through zones. Sicily can do it but doesn’t have the run.

It’s also a bit of Morrison problem - he’s getting the ball in defensive 50 but is really only a 40m kick off two steps - which is right in zone where the opposition is sweating the turnover from defence - they are coming forward to meet the ball and our player is flat footed.
Seamus just needs games yes you are right he won't kick it 50 but he will keep running and be involved. I agree Morrison shouldn't be playing half back but the problem is we have no other options. Scrimshaw just wasn't providing that for us and was moved forward. We needed some run and connection.

Edit: The bolded bit above is how we want to play so will be a valuable asset in all our defenders

Harry is whipping boy number 1, followed by frost at 2.
They could kick a winning goal after coming on as sub with a minute to go in the game, and the masses would be saying they should've done more and it is their fault it was so close.

Reminds me of schoenmakers and Tom Murphy. The amount of times you'd hear people blame them for so.ething when they weren't even on the ground was hilarious
Good old Tom Murphy. How’d he go at the Suns?
How’d we go after he left? 3peat 👍

1. He was approaching retirement when he went to the sun's.

2. Us winning 3 flags is not mutually exclusive to him leaving. It also doesn't change the fact that people loved to hang s**t even when he wasn't on the field

Morrison was playing half back after half time / 3qtr time i will have to watch the game again to see exactly when. Those talking about his game on the wing need to take that into account. He was switched back there to provide a link between the backs and the forwards. He also moved there to help change the way we brough the ball forward. The helter-skelter first half wasn't working too many turnovers. While a lot of our players around the ground had their heads down bemoaning our performance he kept going trying to impact and kept getting the ball. An admirable quality to keep fighting when all is lost.

Morrison was probably in our best 5 players and it will be reflected in the coaches votes for the game come the PCM mark it down if you will.

Agree, of course I'm disapointed with his turn over in the first quarter. But you can tell he's fired up after that, unlike many payers who keep their head down.

Despite all the things that people critiquing him for, I like his on field leadership. I wish more people can see that.

Anyway very disapointed with the game on Saturday night, but I this is the year where we can try everything and see which one works and which one doesn't.

The only thing worth noting from these images is that Conor Nash was giving the team pep talk. Boy he’s come a long way.
When I saw that, I thought that if he continues his form for a few years then the man can be captain one day.

I still think we would have won in 2012 with Tom but we selected Hodge on one leg before him.

Was really stiff as I thought he played well in both finals.

It wasn’t working out early for Morrison but he never gave up and continues to always give his all. Probably the most important trait for us right now to have in the team.

He’s got his strengths and weakness as any player does. What we don’t have as a team is the ability to cover his weaknesses or the ability to fully utilise his strengths.

If we were quicker around the ground we’d see Morrison more able to live up to his ability. Problem is the whole team is slow especially through the middle which can lead to us getting exposed through there.

As long as he keeps giving it his all which he will I can’t see him leaving the team for the rest of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back