Autopsy Round 15, 2023 : Hawks get burned by Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Just add it to the long list of poor post bye performances by teams and move on.

I do wonder if we have a game plan issue at grounds away from the G and Tassie. We seem to need wide grounds to get our game going - otherwise we get too easily clogged up and when we dump kick down line everything unravels.

Was at the game. Very low intensity contest, perfect conditions for football. On the ground after the game the ground only very slightly Dewey though by watching us tonight you’d think it was ultra slippery out there - it wasn’t. We couldn’t hit a short target all night - 10 meter passes to a man on their own under no pressure and we coughed it up every single time. Outmarked all over the ground all night too. At least we know that we can play better than that though we had zero answers for the Suns attack. All our guys were off the pace tonight. Lloyd Meek 2 possessions in almost 3qtrs ?? Could’ve done with a big body taking a few grabs tonight. Didn’t expect to win anyway and we will be much better than this by next season.

Ned is a baby as far as ruck terms, I hope he dominates one day, but I can’t believe how easy a bloke that is seven foot can be pushed off the ball so easily.
He was man handled more than once by Casboult ffs.
We just didn’t work hard enough so many times we took possession and had no one running forward to give an option.
Mitch Lewis would work up the ground take the ball on the wing and miss a target or ignore Kosi.
Was a s**t show.

Ned is a baby as far as ruck terms, I hope he dominates one day, but I can’t believe how easy a bloke that is seven foot can be pushed off the ball so easily.
He was man handled more than once by Casboult ffs.
We just didn’t work hard enough so many times we took possession and had no one running forward to give an option.
Mitch Lewis would work up the ground take the ball on the wing and miss a target or ignore Kosi.
Was a s**t show.

I would love to see Ned play 2-3 games at Box Hill and play the Gawn role a kick behind the play, and see if he can clunk 6-8 marks for a game and get some confidence.

At the minute outside of attending the centre bounce or throw in, the rest is really difficult to watch unfortunately.

A very hard game to watch live. I took someone for their first afl game experience and it was hard game to sell! The game was played with little spirit and low skill level with little noise 🥴

• Take W.Day out of our midfield and it become fairly average. Worps,Nuke,Nash, Moore, are all solid players but not that star factor / footy I.Q that is W.Day.
  • Meek, Kosi are clueless at times to find the space and time to lead or present down the line. They often struggle to have impact on the contest or break even in it!
  • We Lacked leadership across the ground!
  • The Sicily factor, Day Covers the back, Moore plays in the middle.Which sounds great but in the end our Mids / Forward line both played like rubbish and got comprised!
Sounds like the Freo game, its a learning experience.

I would love to see Ned play 2-3 games at Box Hill and play the Gawn role a kick behind the play, and see if he can clunk 6-8 marks for a game and get some confidence.

At the minute outside of attending the centre bounce or throw in, the rest is really difficult to watch unfortunately.
I agree, based on what I watched tonight mate, don’t think he could do it. In the second quarter he was beaten easily by Casboult, and as the ball went away and resulted in a goal to the Suns he was clearly dirty on himself, he needs to find some Dermie mongrel, he seems too nice for a bloke that’s seven foot

I agree, based on what I watched tonight mate, don’t think he could do it. In the second quarter he was beaten easily by Casboult, and as the ball went away and resulted in a goal to the Suns he was clearly dirty on himself, he needs to find some Dermie mongrel, he seems too nice for a bloke that’s seven foot

David Hale was a terrific overhead mark and ruck/forward so there is hope for us.

FMD, there are a lot of downhill skiers on this board.

This year was not about making the finals. It is a development year. Games like this were always going to happen. And there will be more.

Win a game or two and you think we are ready for finals.

And guys like Mitchell Madness - man, you are a piece of work. Total s**t for brains.
no need to abuse other hawthorn supporters

be tolerant of different views & remember he's on the same team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a couple of speedy forwards and defenders.

In the middle we are really slow though. That’s where teams can really hurt us.

We can play a strong contested game in the middle. But once the ball gets to the outside we have no way of slowing the opposition down.

We should win or at least have a much better showing against Carlton. In part because of their lack of leg speed.
It is a fair point. Teams that can explode out of midfield hurt us. None of the teams that we have beaten have midfields that can do that

We still need alot more talent on our list before going to FA.

Once Day went into the backline we were screwed.

Looked like Lewis was double teamed tonight but didn’t matter as we couldn’t get the ball to him anyway by hand and foot. Also why did he spend so long on the bench in the 3rd quarter did he hurt himself.

The whole side skills were worse I seen since AC days.

David Hale was a terrific overhead mark and ruck/forward so there is hope for us.
David Hale was as hard as a cats forehead though.

I used to love watching him scramble for the contested ball in a pack, he really had a hunger for the ball for a guy his size.

Probably only now we are realising how good Hale was, there have been very few genuine Ruck/Forwards in the league since he retired. It’s such a hard role to play.

I found that the most frustrating game of the year becuase we just could not string together more than 2-3 possessions at a time.

As soon as the sun went down and it got a bit dewy we just forgot how to kick the ball. And after a few misses and a few broken chains of play we went back into our shells and played hesitant survival mode footy.

Their midfield is really hard in the clearances. We looked a bit shell shocked at times and after a good first quarter Nash was pretty much unsighted offensively and defensively.

We just couldn't take a mark.
Players started looking for free kicks instead of second efforts or next possesion.
We fumbled and miskicked in every play.

The Suns weren't that good to be honest. And got a run of goals at the end that flattered them - but we were so far off our best.

I thought Day was really good. The only one who played with any assertiveness or the belief that he would win a contest or take a grab.
I can't remember Frosty having any disaster moments which is pretty good actually.
Scrimshaw was really good - but was under siege all night.

Breust and Lewis were great with the few chances they had.
Nailed it, exactly how it felt/looked at the ground.

Inconsistency comes with being young. There are no shortcuts on our path. These are the ups and downs you will see and there will be plenty more before our efforts, motivation and execution become more consistent

Just add it to the long list of poor post bye performances by teams and move on.

I do wonder if we have a game plan issue at grounds away from the G and Tassie. We seem to need wide grounds to get our game going - otherwise we get too easily clogged up and when we dump kick down line everything unravels.

Played okay at Norwood Oval in the Gather Round, and Norwood is not a wide ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back