Autopsy Round 19, 2023 : Hawks can’t get it done against Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve seen some complaints on this forum about umpiring, but the whinging coming from tiger supporters on Twitter is next level

You would be left thinking that this is the only reason they weren’t in the game until the 4th quarter

That’s pretty much how I dealt with yesterday’s loss. Hope it really burns it into our young guys that we need to put teams to the sword when we have the chance. We also need to find that gear between taking the game on at all cost and holding the ball and keeping possession.
Every time I feel destroyed after a loss like that, I cast my mind back to how I felt after 2012...and a sense of perspective immediately washes over me...

We can all point to individual events to blame for a loss and in this game there are plenty to choose from. Mine is Luke Breust as the oldest player simply had to take his 30 and kick a drop punt goal and game over. Toby Greene the same today missed every snap kicked 2 great drop punt goals. We forget most of these guys are thick as bricks lucky they make a good packet early on! Jack Riewoldt talked about how much losses like the 2018 prelim taught them, viewed similarly this game has enormous upside strategically speaking. The tigers are sliding down the cliff having mortgaged their future for average giants. An extra first round pick, nail both selections and add McCabe and by 2025 we push for the 8. Really trying after initial extreme disappointment to put things in context and enjoy the ride.

This. Breust kicks that and we win from there. The thing that annoyed me about it was how casual he was about a left foot snap from there - it's his wrong foot and he's a 90% chance with a drop punt from there. It's just a stupid little mistake that allowed the Tigers back in. From Breust as well who should do better.

We also got sucked into keeping playing high tempo football when we needed to just hold the ball for 2-3 minutes and stop the run the Tigers were getting. That's inexperience but there's also blokes out there like Sicily, Impey and Frost who have been around long enough to talk the rest of the team through. Hell Worpel has played almost 100 games now - he's old enough to be the leader of that midfield.

Seamus Mitchell, on more than two occasions, just blitzing everyone from half-back was beautiful to see. Get another key forward to assist Mitch and they'll be marking those with no issues.

I’ve seen some complaints on this forum about umpiring, but the whinging coming from tiger supporters on Twitter is next level

You would be left thinking that this is the only reason they weren’t in the game until the 4th quarter
Reality has hit the Tigers supporters - almost suddenly. Times a ticking.

Seamus Mitchell, on more than two occasions, just blitzing everyone from half-back was beautiful to see. Get another key forward to assist Mitch and they'll be marking those with no issues.

Reality has hit the Tigers supporters - almost suddenly. Times a ticking.

I overheard a tigs fan at punt rd oval saying he had intel the tigers were in talks to get Lewis for next year

Dream on dude

Every time I feel destroyed after a loss like that, I cast my mind back to how I felt after 2012...and a sense of perspective immediately washes over me...
Living in NSW the way I dealt with 2012 was to pretend like it didn't even happen. I've been doing that a lot ever since about 2016-17ish 😂

Living in NSW the way I dealt with 2012 was to pretend like it didn't even happen. I've been doing that a lot ever since about 2016-17ish 😂
What's this 2012 thing you are talking about? Wasn't that the year that the AFL cancelled the GF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond v Hawthorn​

10 James Sicily (HAW)
6 Jack Graham (RICH)
4 Noah Balta (RICH)
3 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
3 Dion Prestia (RICH)
3 James Worpel (HAW)
1 Tim Taranto (RICH)

I left the ground with a few minutes to go because one of the Richmond supporters I went to the game with yelled out, in all
seriousness,"The only reason Hawks got a threepeat was because of the umpire favouritism".

I'd had enough of the Richmond idiots in the crowd and didn't want to be arrested for chokeslamming my "friend"! I was arrested
many years ago for retaliating to an unprovoked punch from a Carlton supporter. That will teach me for standing behind the Richmond members
area.

I ended up quite pleasantly drunk at The Royal with some reasonable Tiger friends. You live and learn. Except I don't think I'm learning!

I left the ground with a few minutes to go because one of the Richmond supporters I went to the game with yelled out, in all
seriousness,"The only reason Hawks got a threepeat was because of the umpire favouritism".

I'd had enough of the Richmond idiots in the crowd and didn't want to be arrested for chokeslamming my "friend"! I was arrested
many years ago for retaliating to an unprovoked punch from a Carlton supporter. That will teach me for standing behind the Richmond members
area.

I ended up quite pleasantly drunk at The Royal with some reasonable Tiger friends. You live and learn. Except I don't think I'm learning!
Tell them they didn’t even go back to back because of
(A) Mason Cox
(B) covid flags don’t count
I find that goes down gang busters!😉

Geez mate you’ve changed your tune.

Earlier this year you were throwing mud at Mitchell and the club on the main board with all the Carlton trolls.

Mate certainly wasn’t intending to throw mud at the club. My views on Mitchell I must say were 10000% incorrect. He is doing a fantastic job developing the kids. Patience is a virtue and I failed to see the bigger picture earlier in the season however I can definitely see where we are heading now and am very happy with it.

area.

Love that s**t.

I know a lot has been said about the game. I didnt want to rehash it but given all the talk on Scrim before this game and the games preceding. I thought i would give him a shout out. He had a real good game defensively. I thought Scrim has really stepped up like a lot of us thought and hoped he would. Well done scrim great game :thumbsu:

I know a lot has been said about the game. I didnt want to rehash it but given all the talk on Scrim before this game and the games preceding. I thought i would give him a shout out. He had a real good game defensively. I thought Scrim has really stepped up like a lot of us thought and hoped he would. Well done scrim great game :thumbsu:
Agree thought it was one of his better games for us. Played a bit more physical and with more urgency and purpose. It's a shame we lost as thought Sics game was one for the ages too and worthy of a win.

area.

Richmond supporters should be reminded of the massive leg up the AFL give their cash cows during their "dynasty".
We would of had a 5 peat if we'd got the fixtures they did.
But oh no...the whole world is against them.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was akin to a game a few years back when we were up by a goal with a minute to go and at the centre bounce McEvoy went for the hit out do advantage, rather than just dropping it at his feet and creating a stoppage.
Adelaide 2016. Puopolo's match at the MCG. The game that really kick-started free kick Hawthorn.
He got lucky that night. One of the dumbest bits of ruck play you would see

It's awesome isn't it.
It's fantastic to see Scrim in best 22 and playing good footy.

First Crack called out our inexperience tonight late in the game and showed footage of how McIntosh was smart enough to just head straight to the goalsquare, as well as the Baker goal, but Kingy made mention that he’d love to see us in the same position late in another game this year because they don’t think we’d let that happen again.

Went on to say that Hawks fans “should be thrilled” with the footy we played in the first 3 quarters.
Oh we are Kingy. We are.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back