Autopsy Round 5, 2023: Hawks fall over against Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Blancks form really that poor?

He had wisdom teeth that were taken out and he missed the Roos game, but other than that he was tracking about the same as every other defender in that first month of footy with the ball pinging into our backline with zero pressure.
I don’t think you can play frost, blanck and sic in the same backline, just isn’t balanced

Credit where it's due we shaded the first 3 quarters in this one and had a deserved lead. Just not good enough when push came to shove with the match on the line in the closing stages, not a bad loss to have though.

Was Blancks form really that poor?

He had wisdom teeth that were taken out and he missed the Roos game, but other than that he was tracking about the same as every other defender in that first month of footy with the ball pinging into our backline with zero pressure.
It's a pretty harsh call. In the two games where our team-wide defensive pressure went by the wayside, it's no surprise that a KD with only 9 games experience (going into the year) didn't stand up and excel. Who would in those conditions?

I made the same case for our Rucks, but Blanck too needs a chance to grow. DGB too FWIW.

I don’t think you can play frost, blanck and sic in the same backline, just isn’t balanced

Interesting. I would have them as there quite different backmen playing quite different roles. Why do you think they’re unbalanced? Too tall? Maybe if you include DGB too?

Think was two issues with Blanck

1. Blanck was struggling a bit with 50/50 contests - getting beaten when expectation would halve contest.

2. Backline Structure / setup wasn’t working - frost wasn’t effective on small types with Sicily as 2nd KPD. We looked more organised with frost as a kpd.

We saw some similar issues with DGB against GWS - lost a few contests plus opposition appeared to play a bit through his man as seen as the weak link vs frost/Sicily.

Interesting. I would have them as there quite different backmen playing quite different roles. Why do you think they’re unbalanced? Too tall? Maybe if you include DGB too?
Young dgb and jarmin/cj/scrim/Hardwick all have the ability to defend taller by rolling off their opponents when required that by having all of the big 3 in we loose pressure and run (Sicily has been doing a lot of defensive running, but that may be reducing his offence a bit)

why the most impressive player last week for mine was seamus, first game in and defending like a mad man and providing quality run, he is going to stay in the side playing that way.

A back 6 of;
Seamus, blanck, jarmin
Dgb, Sicily, Hardwick with scrim, cj on the bench would be my pick
(Frost will play in Blancks role for now)

One issue is I just think cj needs some game time forward of centre and let teams defend him for a change

Young dgb and jarmin/cj/scrim/Hardwick all have the ability to defend taller by rolling off their opponents when required that by having all of the big 3 in we loose pressure and run (Sicily has been doing a lot of defensive running, but that may be reducing his offence a bit)

why the most impressive player last week for mine was seamus, first game in and defending like a mad man and providing quality run, he is going to stay in the side playing that way.

A back 6 of;
Seamus, blanck, jarmin
Dgb, Sicily, Hardwick with scrim, cj on the bench would be my pick
(Frost will play in Blancks role for now)

One issue is I just think cj needs some game time forward of centre and let teams defend him for a change
I agree with most of this. Just feel 8 defenders in the team is too many.

Our defensive improvement will come midfield pressure. And our defenders not sagging off as much as they do currently.

I agree with most of this. Just feel 8 defenders in the team is too many.

Our defensive improvement will come midfield pressure. And our defenders not sagging off as much as they do currently.
I must confess I am fan of Morris. I was so pleased to see Seamus get a game and play well, but he is still behind Morris in terms of performance at AFL level at this stage. I suspect when Morris is fitter he comes back in which may push Seamus out or to a new role. Both players look keepers right now. Pace, class and aggression....what's not to like about the future.

So my big take out of yesterday's game is we desperately need a key forward. We can't put all ours faith in Mitch Lewis being a saviour. I love him but he won't be able to do it alone.
The resting ruck also not an option as they are too slow once ball hits ground.
Kosi out of form so the only options we have for now are either drop a ruckman and play Lynch or bring in Ramsden as the forward.
Fergus Green has been so impressive with his forward craft , would be better if he copped 3rd or 4th defender.

The two maxes can cover ground and not bad on the ground balls

Remove this Banner Ad

Back