Autopsy Round 5, 2023: Hawks fall over against Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Was on the HFF in the first quarter when Cmac turned the GWS player inside out. Was beautiful to see up close. I'm his biggest fan but he has looked a bit off and think he could benefit from a spell in the 2s.

Cmack definitely didn't benefit from the contested style of play. I do think he too would benefit from a spell in the 2s to get his hand on the footy a bit more.
17 Disposals
70.6% DE
6 SI

Reckon he's going ok

Brocky has Shai Bolton written all over him, class player. Will be play bursts in the midfield. Be excited about this kid boys and girls, he can play

Yeah, i thought the same. the way he moves, uses the footy, fast feet. Good signs.

People are criticising DGB's performance. What exactly did he do wrong? He fell over at the last second? That could have been anyone. It happens. Look at Steven Gerrard. Outside of that, I thought he played quite well. A solid 7 out of 10, and I saw improvements in his game.

Coaches votes

9 Sam Taylor (GWS)
7 Toby Greene (GWS)
7 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
3 Jack Buckley (GWS)
2 James Worpel (HAW)
1 Ned Reeves (HAW)
1 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)

Coaches votes

9 Sam Taylor (GWS)
7 Toby Greene (GWS)
7 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
3 Jack Buckley (GWS)
2 James Worpel (HAW)
1 Ned Reeves (HAW)
1 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)

Taylor with a very well deserved 9. Would have to be in the top 3 best KPD in the league.

SUrprised that Worpel got in the votes before Nash considering the lockdown job he did on Green. Happy to see it.

Taylor with a very well deserved 9. Would have to be in the top 3 best KPD in the league.

SUrprised that Worpel got in the votes before Nash considering the lockdown job he did on Green. Happy to see it.
If only we have a tall forward to keep Taylor and Buckley occupied

Last edited:
People are criticising DGB's performance. What exactly did he do wrong? He fell over at the last second? That could have been anyone. It happens. Look at Steven Gerrard. Outside of that, I thought he played quite well. A solid 7 out of 10, and I saw improvements in his game.
His effort at one stage against Hogan was horrific, but he had some great moments.

Hogan got him really easy with pretty soft push off and lead. And he did give away a free to Himmelberg with a sloppy attempt to spoil. And unfortunately it was a bad time to lose his feet, and that's generally going to be called out for a key defender at a critical moment.

But yeah, I think he had some good moments also. He does look a bit bigger too. Just got to keep getting games into him now. Hopefully in two months we are seeing a player that belongs.

Hogan got him really easy with pretty soft push off and lead. And he did give away a free to Himmelberg with a sloppy attempt to spoil. And unfortunately it was a bad time to lose his feet, and that's generally going to be called out for a key defender at a critical moment.

But yeah, I think he had some good moments also. He does look a bit bigger too. Just got to keep getting games into him now. Hopefully in two months we are seeing a player that belongs.
:100:

His effort at one stage against Hogan was horrific, but he had some great moments.

Both of your comments are the most rational comments I have seen here, but people were saying he should never be seen in a Hawthorn guernsey again, hence why I said what I did with an irrational vigour. Hogan did get the better of him, but he had moments that showed the player he can hopefully become, and he looked a lot more composed than Frost. I really want to see him down there with Blanck. They played well together for Box Hill last week, so I hope they play together soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great experience at the game yesterday!

The vibes were exactly like I hoped. Lovely weather and 8500 plus Hawks fans around the oval. So so much fun.
I hope The AFL allow us to make The Parade a home away from home but I dunno if they'll let us do it.

Was standing behind the goals at one end and on the piss so didn't have a ridiculous amount of insight from the actual game but watching the replay now.
Really like what I saw from Nash, Ward and Worpel.
Fergus Greene has a lot of footy smarts and I hope this guy can become a 150 game player for the Hawks.

Shoenmakers came good after he was played in his natural position which was as a forward. Was one of my annoyances with Clarko that he kept trying to turn Shoenmakers into something he never was.

Frost is different, he's a great defender just consistently let down by an impulse to want to take the game on at every opportunity. You can't knock that endeavour but you need to have a good feel for the game and where it is at before making the decision to play on quickly or not. He is also let down by poor disposal which in fairness can be put down to his rush to play on and in turn get caught in tight situations requiring quick disposal.

In short he needs to calm the * down and better assess the situation before acting but I don't think this will ever change where ever he plays.
I'll die on the hill that Schoenmakers was playing as a very good defender in 2013 prior to doing his knee

Frost just needs to try ADHD medication the day of the game. Without that, he is a stop-gap, and will not be in the starting line up of a finals-playing side. Grainger-Barrass and Scrimshaw are our hopes for the future in this size defender. Reckon Scrimshaw will become a star.

Morrison tries hard but doesn't have Frost's skill - again, not in a finals-playing side. I love Worpell but don't know how many turnovers I can stand. Meek looks all at sea. Solid lad, but no evidence he is a footballer.

Other than that (and with the unfortunate exception of Frost) the team is way too predictable. Too often the defender can ignore the ball carrier to go straight to the obvious recipient; we are following team rules like sheep, and are therefore at the mercy of anyone with wolf-like instincts.

Loved that tap from Fergus Greene to Brockman. Moore continues to show class. Decent game from Reeves. Great tackling pressure by Nash and Newcombe. Looking forward to seeing Will Day in a couple of weeks

An enjoyable game!

Dump tackled a player with a history of concussion backwards onto his neck/head. By their logic, potential for injury should be severe despite there being no injury.

They must have the manatees from South Park grading incidents this year. Grabbing random balls with the various incident gradings on them.

A few hours later and I'm feeling really enthused about today and can't wait for next week.

It all started at Box Hill who were once again dominant. I went with some non-Hawk football loving mates who were surprised how clean we were with the ball despite the hideous conditions. Inglewood coffee is bloody good by the way.

Blanck is far too good for VFL, was ridiculously clean today and added some rebound to his game.
I was surprised at how good Morris looked from a defensive point of view, Dimma needs to lift because tank is coming for his spot.
Ramsden was pretty good with the 4 goals, but thought Lynch and Blanck were the stand out key position players on the ground.

Rapt with how our young midfield performed today.
Coniglio/Green/Kelly and Ward are a finals hardened, experienced midfield and Newcombe, Nash and Worpel brutalized them.
Tom Green is a powerhouse, and Nash absolutely pummeled him after half time and got the ball going our way.
Add in Will Day and potentially another high end draft pick and * me we're going to be hard to stop out of the center in a few years.

Reeves performance needs to have the spotlight shone on it. Clearly the most dominant ruckman in the first half. Was giving our mids rolled gold use of the ball and was clunking marks ala McEvoy.
At half time GWS made a concerted effort to chop his arms at every opportunity and it slowed his influence, but my god we have a weapon here ladies and gentleman.

The babies in Seamus Mitchell, Brockman and Long all looked good and I hope they retain their spots for the trip down to Tassie.

DGB was a solid 7/10. If he hadn't slipped and got that spoil in on Himmelberg it would have been an 8.5. His disposal is outstanding.

Lastly, Karl Amon is very quietly putting together a very good season. The perfect counter balance to our on ball brutes. I'd take him over Tom Mitchell or O'Meara going forward.
I think your right about Amon he will get a game for us ahead of JOM and Tom for the rest of the year

Neither is true. I watch all the games sometime several times a week and my post is serious.

Kozi hasn’t been all at sea the last two weeks. His defensive game has been great. His opponents haven’t touched the ball and haven't provided any rebound or intercept marks which is one of the reasons why Box Hill have smashed both opponents. His opponents rarely outpoint him or beat him at AFL level as well - he's simply not a forward but his defensive work is great. I’m not looking at his game as a forward. I look at what he does very well - compete and defend.

Frost is a net liability. He has zero footy IQ and composure and after 10 years in the system, he is not a KPD.

Kozi’s defensive work on the other hand is outstanding. He's simply not a forward. He has Full back written all over him. Sam is still trying to figure out what's best for the team and where players fit. I have confidence that he'll eventually play Kozi where he is best suited at Full back. IMO he is the best full back we have available on our list.

I don't think the Coaches can ignore the obvious much longer. The evidemce is overwhelming. Kozi is a fantastic competitor and defender. Play him in defence. People can criticise his record and performances as a forward all they like - he’s not a forward.

He would have done a number on either of Hogan or Himelberg today and would have freed up DGB and Sic. That’s subjective because we’ll never know.

I'm firmly in the play Kozi in defence camp. He’ll do a number on Walker or Thilthorpe or whoever he plays on this week if selected. I don't think he will be selected but I hope he is because supporters like me who see the obvious (to us) are frustrated when we select non KPD in KPD posts.

What are we planning towards? Having Frost as our future Full back? That’s not sustainable or practical long term. Kozi at FB is.
You need your full back to be able to Mark the footy eg Brian Lake. Kosi has flat pancake hands and can’t mark the footy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back