Autopsy Round 23, 2023 : Hawks fall to the Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Mitchell coaches really well today. With our outs, obviously we were going to be out powered. Instead of our high handball run and gun attack, we possessed the ball, lots of marks etc. First quarter we dominated.

A good team like Melbourne are gonna work their way into the game. But to be within a kick during the 4th. Melb kicked away when Mitch moved a few things around to try and win the game but we had to try something different.

Also Reeves stepped up i thought. And the resilience of the group, to not let Melb get a run on and keep challenging.

We defended really deep today which was a change. I think Mitchell rightfully identified their forward line was a weakness and tried to grind the game out Clarko style.

So much to like about that game:
  • Hustwaite's debut was awesome. Just looked like he belonged.
  • Serong was really impressive
  • We didn't have an answer for Lever or May. DGB was no chance against Lever in 1:1s but did so well against Tomlinson and really got his tail up
  • That kick from Moore that bounced the wrong side of the post..... would have made the last quarter muchu more interesting
  • Sicily had a nightmare. Was interesting we moved him into the midfield and not will Day.
  • Reeves completely beat the best ruck in the competition. Incredible game. Normally Gawn is a guaranteed 3 votes against us
  • I love Maginess' tagging. He's not doing it with cheap shots and nasty stuff. Just super headstrong discipline. Thought he played well offesnively in the last quarter off the HFF and kept presenting when others got tired.
  • Amon had his worst game. Took the kick a lot of times rather than handball up the line, and too often he turned it over or kicked to unlikely contest.
  • Breust is amazing to watch.
  • Worpel deserve more credit than he's getting. Clearance work is among the best in the league and he's performed better against top 4 opposition.

Our forward line was absolute humming with Lewis, an in-form Wingard and Ryan causing random headaches. A shame we didn't have any of those guys out there today.

Awesome effort. Fun to watch.

Hello? This is Brian the Melbourne Football Club heroine dealer.

Sorry Brian, Simon is in the presser making a dick of himself. I can give you this week's order from him if you like.

I've seen a lot of s**t takes on here, but this is one of the worst. Assuming the rumours are true, the guy has a medical problem.

I don't think the quoted passage shows any class at all.

We wouldn't tolderate it for someone with Tourette's, or someone in a wheelchair, or someone with depression. Why should we tolerate it for addiction?

[FWIW, I thought Goodwin himself had a s**t take himself in his presser over Finn...]

I've seen a lot of s**t takes on here, but this is one of the worst. Assuming the rumours are true, the guy has a medical problem.

I don't think the quoted passage shows any class at all.

We wouldn't tolderate it for someone with Tourette's, or someone in a wheelchair, or someone with depression. Why should we tolerate it for addiction?

[FWIW, I thought Goodwin himself had a s**t take himself in his presser over Finn...]
Are you ******* serious?! Drug addiction is not a "medical issue" that we should be empathetic towards. You can't seriously compare it to disabilites and mental health issues.

He's made his bed, he can lie in it and take some bloody responsibility for it.

Are you ******* serious?! Drug addiction is not a "medical issue" that we should be empathetic towards. You can't seriously compare it to disabilites and mental health issues.

The relationship between addiction and mental health issues is very closely correlated. It's inconsistent to be empathetic towards mental health but not addiction.

Wrong, addiction is a mental Illness. Are you a doctor or psychologist?

On the bolded bit, yes, I am. And I'm still calling out a s**t take from grumbleguts.

With regard to the rest of your response, maybe look at volunteering for a session or two at an addiction centre. Might be confronting, but will certainly be character building and horizon broadening...

BTW, upon careful reading of my initial post, you will see I never used the word "drug". What if I were referring to whispers regarding gambling? Does that change your response?

Man I wish Grainger-Barras managed to take the grab in the opening minute of the game yesterday. He ran back into traffic without taking his eyes off the ball. I love his attitude towards the game and really hope he's able to find his place in the side.

1692572949461-png.1780776

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was a super effort from Finn - Oliver is pretty hard to tag. He does a lot of tiny handballs (and throws) in tight that are hard to get in the way of. I'm surprised he was the one we tagged to be honest but it was a great job.

Real sooky of Goodwin to bring it up at the presser. Real losers mindset tbh. It's a cheap shot because
a) the player can't respond because they don't have thier own press conference.
b) it was bullshit cos Finn got as much of the footy as oliver
c) is piss weak to complain about that after a win.
d) I don't think Finn is doing anything nasty in his tagging. He's not Crowley FFS.
e) It shows Goodwin doesnt really have an answer for it.

Thought we lost structure when we took Ramma off. Was impressed he looked comfortable at the level. Was surprised that Serong went back and not forward as we were really struggling for targets and contests up fwd.

Was a really strong effort - took a couple of moments of brilliance from a couple of their class players to create a gap on us. Thought if Breust had kicked that left foot snap the game may have played our differently.

CMac not far off tearing a game to shreds he is moving really well.

Thought we lost structure when we took Ramma off. Was impressed he looked comfortable at the level. Was surprised that Serong went back and not forward as we were really struggling for targets and contests up fwd.

Was a really strong effort - took a couple of moments of brilliance from a couple of their class players to create a gap on us. Thought if Breust had kicked that left foot snap the game may have played our differently.

CMac not far off tearing a game to shreds he is moving really well.

I agree with not putting Serong forward. We chucked Scrimma forward in the last which disrupted the defensive structure that was looking good all game. I understand Serong has been played as a defender and should be playing at AFL in his right position but geez he could’ve provided something down the line in the last when DGB was looking tired and Kosi was getting well beaten.

Serong was fantastic. Good size and great composure with ball in hand. I can see him being ahead of Frost R1 next year. With Blanck now holding FB, Frost may find himself behind Serong, Sic, Scrim as 2nd/3rd tall defender

I liked that Sammy showed bold coaching today being unafraid to back his inexperienced players in. HH was thrown in at centre bounces. Sic in the middle.

DGB has impressed me. He could have gone into his shell after his doughnut game and getting dropped back to Box Hill. But he has been fantastic since being recalled. His effort and enthusiasm is infectious.

Also something is NQR with Oliver. The way he completely went off the rails at Qtr time was not normal. Vein popping stuff

I don’t think there’s a spot for Koschitzke in the forward-line next year. I would rather have Lewis, Ryan & Grainger-Barras as the three forwards.
Is that with 2 rucks playing as well?

If not who do we allocate the chop out ruck duties to?

That's the question as far as I'm concerned, right now I'm preferring Kosi over the 2 rucks playing.

Also something is NQR with Oliver. The way he completely went off the rails at Qtr time was not normal. Vein popping stuff
Maybe. But Finn was giving him an absolute bath and as a team we were on top. He would've been very frustrated that he couldn't influence things. He hasn't been shut down like that before.

Maybe. But Finn was giving him an absolute bath and as a team we were on top. He would've been very frustrated that he couldn't influence things. He hasn't been shut down like that before.

Gawn started it. He just got his first HO to A for the game and the 1/4 siren went

Remove this Banner Ad

Back