Autopsy Round 5, 2023: Hawks fall over against Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

That is why Geelong want him and “will move heaven and earth” is what I am told. Already selling the Surf Coast to the big surfer.
God they're relentless. Every decent player that even remotely looks like they could be a free agent seems to instantly be on their radar

Gunston was the perfect bookend too
I very much understand your point re Jack, but I do think that Sam thinks his career is starting to wane. He never played his best footy when he is the “Man” forward. It is why he was a great third tall.
Don’t get me wrong, we would better to have held onto him…..but for how long ????

God they're relentless. Every decent player that even remotely looks like they could be a free agent seems to instantly be on their radar
Exactly what you’d expect your club to do to improve their list. If you don’t ask you won’t get.

I very much understand your point re Jack, but I do think that Sam thinks his career is starting to wane. He never played his best footy when he is the “Man” forward. It is why he was a great third tall.
Don’t get me wrong, we would better to have held onto him…..but for how long ????
Thought he would kill it in Brisbane with other players taking the best defenders, but he has been pretty underwhelming so far

Exactly what you’d expect your club to do to improve their list. If you don’t ask you won’t get.
Imagine monitoring all the players understanding what they want from their career and doing everything possible to attract them to your club. Seems like there are degrees of being asleep at the wheel…🤣🤣🤣

Got to mention Moorey here.
The guy just bleeds Brown and Gold and you could see it on the field yesterday.
I can see him being captain and a 300 gamer for us.
Ripper bloke and footballer.
Agree and really feel he would have handled the captaincy better than Sicily as Sic is a gun when playing unburdened with freedom not with either the weight of playing on a key forward or being captain. I feel like we have blunted our teams greatest weapon! And opposition players know they can get in his head easily. Another thing you typically don’t want in your captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree and really feel he would have handled the captaincy better than Sicily as Sic is a gun when playing unburdened with freedom not with either the weight of playing on a key forward or being captain. I feel like we have blunted our teams greatest weapon! And opposition players know they can get in his head easily. Another thing you typically don’t want in your captain.
Is the captaincy role one that you could rotate on an annual basis to give different emerging youth a bit of the leadership cherry? Or do we think we need to pick one and stick with it until that player's career is out? I can see benefits of both, but, particularly with this group, I'd love to see it rotated to determine who the mantle sits best with.

Is the captaincy role one that you could rotate on an annual basis to give different emerging youth a bit of the leadership cherry? Or do we think we need to pick one and stick with it until that player's career is out? I can see benefits of both, but, particularly with this group, I'd love to see it rotated to determine who the mantle sits best with.
It’s not something you’d do at AFL level

James Sicily is our captain.

He's our best player, he's an absolute gun, but as much as this doesn't matter in terms of captaincy.

His leadership is great, his ability to setup the defensive 50, you always see him pointing fingers and making sure everyone is where they should be, but also getting around his teammates, what stuck in my mind was Impey with that great defensive play late in the 2nd or 3rd and Sicily was the first to get to him and hug him and get around him for it, he is a great speaker in the media and talks so well, but the big thing for me is how smart he is (footy iq), and that year working in the coaches box was huge for him.

He's got the mongrel you want in a captain and i don't think teams have "gotten under his skin" at all since he's been captain.

100% back the decision, it's only 5 games into his tenure.

He's our best player, he's an absolute gun, but as much as this doesn't matter in terms of captaincy.

His leadership is great, his ability to setup the defensive 50, you always see him pointing fingers and making sure everyone is where they should be, but also getting around his teammates, what stuck in my mind was Impey with that great defensive play late in the 2nd or 3rd and Sicily was the first to get to him and hug him and get around him for it, he is a great speaker in the media and talks so well, but the big thing for me is how smart he is (footy iq), and that year working in the coaches box was huge for him.

He's got the mongrel you want in a captain and i don't think teams have "gotten under his skin" at all since he's been captain.

The mantle of leadership takes a time to settle, think it’s on the right shoulders ATM.

We need a KPD so Sic can go back to playing on the second/third forward. If he has freedom to roam, intercept mark and distribute from half back he is our second best weapon (after a fit Lewis in the forward line).

Blanks poor form has come at a really poor time in that regards unfortunately.

Was Blancks form really that poor?

He had wisdom teeth that were taken out and he missed the Roos game, but other than that he was tracking about the same as every other defender in that first month of footy with the ball pinging into our backline with zero pressure.

He had wisdom teeth that were taken out and he missed the Roos game, but other than that he was tracking about the same as every other defender in that first month of footy with the ball pinging into our backline with zero pressure.
His form wasn't bad but it wasn't great, I think he was sacrificed more out of an attempt at finding a balance than anything else.

I didn't think so. He seemed a little scattered compared to last year, but who wouldn't with the amount of I50s we were conceding.

For me he has to come back in. I know Collingwoods VFL side were poor, but he looked comfortably a level above on the weekend.

Played the Swans game with the wisdom teeth issue, apparently.

I feel like I have to keep shouting it from the rooftops re. Blanck - he didn’t play his junior footy as a defender, he has had little opportunity in the professional pathways, and has had 1 proper preseason with Hawthorn.

He will come good. Give him time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back