Autopsy Round 5, 2023: Hawks fall over against Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Frosty but why why why would you after taking a huge pressure relieving mark then handpass it to a flat footed Hardwick 5 meters from you on the last line of defence????
Pretty sure he had the same brain fart twice within minutes, just to make sure

Yep. 2 great marks and 2 turnovers in the back 50 in one minute.

It's *ing painful to watch. But is what it is.
For what it's worth it certainly isn't just Frost. Play on at all costs, look in board, take risks are all coaching directives. Doesn't seem like Frost has been excluded from those directives in any way so he's just doing as asked to the best of his abilities... it's just the abilities that are the issue! :p

One of the biggest positives for me yesterday was seeing the 9500ish strong crowd absolutely decked in brown and gold - wouldn't have been more than 200-300 GWS supporters. Even the pocket of Crows fans were backing us. Hawks think the same which is great!

Hawthorn eyeing Norwood as home away from home in Gather Round

One of the biggest positives for me yesterday was seeing the 9500ish strong crowd absolutely decked in brown and gold - wouldn't have been more than 200-300 GWS supporters. Even the pocket of Crows fans were backing us. Hawks think the same which is great!

Yep when they arced up in that in that 3rd qtr i got choked up. If it had such an effect on me imagine the effect on the players it would have been great

So my big take out of yesterday's game is we desperately need a key forward. We can't put all ours faith in Mitch Lewis being a saviour. I love him but he won't be able to do it alone.
The resting ruck also not an option as they are too slow once ball hits ground.
Kosi out of form so the only options we have for now are either drop a ruckman and play Lynch or bring in Ramsden as the forward.
Fergus Green has been so impressive with his forward craft , would be better if he copped 3rd or 4th defender.

So my big take out of yesterday's game is we desperately need a key forward. We can't put all ours faith in Mitch Lewis being a saviour. I love him but he won't be able to do it alone.
Kosi out of form so the only options we have for now are either drop a ruckman and play Lynch or bring in Ramsden as the forward.
Fergus Green has been so impressive with his forward craft , would be better if he copped 3rd or 4th defender.
Absolutely on point.

Clear
Lynch would be just as quick as kosi

Not sure what it is but I know a lot of Norwood supporters who are Hawthorn supporters as well, strange how that all worked out. For me Norwood are my second team only because I used to go to many Norwood games back in 90's with my mate who is a Hawthorn/Norwood supporter. Met many who also followed the Hawks and strange enough one time at Norwood oval vs Port we met a Magpies supporter who followed Hawthorn!

But overall huge support in Adelaide left over from the pre-Crows days not to mention it's easy for many from Victoria to come across.

Best combo is Duke Day & Ward for mine.
Worpel next in, but can rotate heavily.

MacKenzie, Nash aswell + CMac

Fan of the midfield.
Ward maybe in a year or two. But he still gets pushed aside relatively easily in the middle against the bigger bodies.

Better coming in from a wing then using his running power around the ground currently.

Ward maybe in a year or two. But he still gets pushed aside relatively easily in the middle against the bigger bodies.

Better coming in from a wing then using his running power around the ground currently.
Disagree, think he showed it against GWS too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was there yesterday, a couple observations/comments. I'll try and not repeat what everyone else has said.

Was on the HFF in the first quarter when Cmac turned the GWS player inside out. Was beautiful to see up close. I'm his biggest fan but he has looked a bit off and think he could benefit from a spell in the 2s.

During this quarter in particular and during the match I was watching DGB quite closely, especially his match up on Cadman. I must say that I was impressed. He is a natural defender. I can count at least two instances in the first quarter alone where he worked his man under the ball to allow a third man to come and take an intercept mark and his disposal was superb from what I saw. He also goes hard and has the mongrel in him you can't teach. I will say I am a believer that he will make it. He won't be a Weitering type but will be a Lever. I think he's being taught to play lockdown defender as part of his learning curve.

I will admit I was in the drop Reeves camp but his game yesterday really impressed me. I can see why we value his ruckwork so highly. He took some great grabs and hopefully that will give him confidence to start crashing the packs more and getting his hands to it.

Hardwick has been down on form this year but when we were rebounding from D50 I was impressed with him trying to direct the kicker where to go.

From the second quarter on we moved to the forward pocket on the left of screen, below the screen/scoreboard. The third quarter there was electric. I reckon the crowd was 90% Hawks, 5% GWS and 5% Neutrals.

CJ a worry. Just looks super down on confidence and even my non-hawk mates were concerned with his form. I think he's a confidence player.

Cmack definitely didn't benefit from the contested style of play. I do think he too would benefit from a spell in the 2s to get his hand on the footy a bit more.

I noticed Sic' leadership a lot more being at the game. Organising the defence etc, hitting the packs hard. Also Moorey, bleeds Brown & Gold. Needs to be the next captain.

Impey, Amon, Brocky all fantastic.

I worry the end is nigh for Breust.

We were right there when Frosty had is double brain fade in the last quarter. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that in my life. The crowd reactions after were pretty funny. Just collective groans and "SETTLE DOWN FROSTY". I can understand he's a leader but after being at the game and watching that I struggle to think that Blanck can offer less than Frosty.

As someone mentioned earlier - a tall forward, a tall forward! My kingdom for a tall forward! What we are lacking there has never been so obvious. From memory I think Lewis is likely back the week after next.

I think if we have Day in we win that. I don't think we will finish below WCE.

Disagree, think he showed it against GWS too.
GWS mids aren’t much of a test in the physical department outside of Green.

Just in the previous 4 rounds I’ve seen him get pushed off the ball giving his opponent a free run at it.

He’s still young and will build his body. Just how I see it for now.

For what it's worth it certainly isn't just Frost. Play on at all costs, look in board, take risks are all coaching directives. Doesn't seem like Frost has been excluded from those directives in any way so he's just doing as asked to the best of his abilities... it's just the abilities that are the issue! :p
Every club has thier moments with this (due to current game style) but at times you just need to take a breath and
wait for the structures to be ready, playing on before anyone is aware of what your doing leads to turns overs.

GWS mids aren’t much of a test in the physical department outside of Green.

Just in the previous 4 rounds I’ve seen him get pushed off the ball giving his opponent a free run at it.

He’s still young and will build his body. Just how I see it for now.
Fair just rate his workrate really highly, and his creativity, hand and foot skills, and his high quality footy iq, decision making, composure and vision.

I've been a Norwood supporter, member, and player (underage) for over 50 years. I've never heard the ground referred to as the Racecourse. Where did you get that from? It's most commonly known as The Parade.

Oh - didn't realise. The cast from ABC Grandstand kept referencing it (I mute TV commentary as it makes my ears bleed at times).

Maybe I heard wrong - I was on very little sleep during the game yesterday!

I'm a pure Victorian, so I would have zero idea. I bow to your wisdom :)

We have an abundance of really clever, skillful creative players whose careers are only just beginning. Tyler Brockman, C Mac, Newcombe, Ward and hopefully the likes of Seamus and MacKenzie, and possibly even Ned Long who has improved his mobility out of sight... to compliment the maturity and abilities of guys like Moore and Amon. Just a really slick crew of midfield/forward talent in that group.

That chain against GWS that began with Seamus' give and go and ended with a goal was the slickest we've looked in a long time. That was blue chip ball movement and skill.

I'm sure outsiders are looking at the results and figuring that the cupboard Hawthorn is bare. It's overbloody flowing if it all keeps tracking in the direction it's heading in. Even Greene will wind up being a pretty handy 3rd Banana once we have Lewis and the other kPF we need to get the jigsaw into shape forward of center.

Last edited:
Fair just rate his workrate really highly, and his creativity, hand and foot skills, and his high quality footy iq, decision making, composure and vision.
Which is why I think wing or coming in off a HFF and following the ball around that way is his go for now. Think J. Kelly’s role in 2019.

Let’s him use his really good traits while we have other guys to do the contested work in the middle and get the ball out to him.

Which is why I think wing or coming in off a HFF and following the ball around that way is his go for now. Think J. Kelly’s role in 2019.

Let’s him use his really good traits while we have other guys to do the contested work in the middle and get the ball out to him.
Perhaps, i think we’ll use heavy rotations anyways.

Oh - didn't realise. The cast from ABC Grandstand kept referencing it (I mute TV commentary as it makes my ears bleed at times).

Maybe I heard wrong - I was on very little sleep during the game yesterday!

I'm a pure Victorian, so I would have zero idea. I bow to your wisdom :)

That's fine, I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just wondering where you heard that. It would be like the ABC to just make up a fresh sobriquet for a ground that has been in use since 1901 :)

That's fine, I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just wondering where you heard that. It would be like the ABC to just make up a fresh sobriquet for a ground that has been in use since 1901 :)
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

I did go looking for it’s meaning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back