Autopsy Round 17, 2023 : Hawks go down to Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the game yesterday.

Thought we were good in patches - but the delivery into the forward line and Taylor dominating was probably the difference. Lewis appeared to hurt his ankle at one point (in the 3rd i think) but even before that he outclassed.

Blanck, Newcombe, Day (hope the shoulder is ok), Ward, Weddle our best.

Worpel stood out when Day went forward in the last.

I don’t know what the issue with that ground is - it’s barely rained in Sydney for the last 3 months, it’s a problem.

Any game that has multiple umpires making effectively the same decisions out on the field will suffer from a lack of consistency. There really isn’t any way around it
Yes there is. Cut umpires down to 1 field. Accept only blatant frees get paid.

He was crap again mate.
Offers a good tap and that's it.
Not fit enough to provide work around the ground either, concerning.

Third best game of the season for Ned according to Champion Data.

Surprisingly the exact same amount of ranking points as Briggs last night.

Was really flat after this loss, though we were fortunate to be in it at half time I thought we controlled the game thereafter but couldn't take advantage due to our ridiculous forward entries. I thought we would have benefitted by slowing the game considerably so that we didn't keep getting torched on turnover.

Denver did some good things in the first half, showed he has some real speed with a few defensive efforts but he was ineffectual in the second half. I love him but it's beggars belief that an athlete could be so physically underdone after three pre seasons. At the other end I lost count of how many times Scrimshaw juggled and uncontested mark and dropped it.

On a more positive note James Blanck is is quietly becoming a really good one on one defender, we have a lot to work with here.

Greene played his role again with 2 goals but guess everyone will call for him to be dropped as always
If only goals was the sole metric on which to judge him.

Once again we play him and his opponents peal off and intercept while he exerts little pressure at ground level. Taylor, himmlberg and buckly dominated the air. Lewis was well held and once denver ran out of puff it took our smalls out of the game. I can see he is working really hard on these things and like most players its not all bad but, he doesn’t get enough of the ball and is a liability without it. How long do your persist with him? How do we get more competitive in the air and at ground level with him in the side?

Also, what is with our kick-in structure at both ends of the ground.. We just let teams walk it out week after week. And there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how we bring it out either
We let teams get that first kick away to a player well down the ground. And we also like to give them more freedom by not standing the mark, under the impression we can run inn to create pressure. But that player is just in no man's land, they can't affect the kick when play on is called and they can't influence the contest behind them. Just stand the mark and take ten metres from them.

Allowing teams to gain free territory takes off the pressure. Not convinced it is the right tactic.

How did Will Day miss from 11 metres out?
If I was Sam I'd bring in Dunstall to have a "quiet" chat to young Will about playing on and kicking around the body from straight in front.......

A better showing but disposal is frustrating - so many fumbles, half arsed handballs - was doing my head in. The definition of insane - kicking long again and again into Lewis and DGB when it didn’t work the first 10 times

Once again Finn did a great job - I so wish he had another string to the bow

Chad was good, as was Worps
This will be a good midfield in a couple of seasons

AFL needs to take a good look at that oval. It’s just lucky that serious injury has not occurred on that wing
We should practice handballing over the heads of players. Then under pressure it might hit the chest.

Still think our defensive structure really stinks at times and we get exposed far too easily.
I do find myself questioning the wisdom of teaching our kids to all-out attack right from the beginning of Sam's stewardship rather than prime them to primarily win their 1 v 1 position and be structurally sound. Adelaide are a good example of a group who were pretty dour to watch for a while there but it gave them a solid defensive base to fall back on.
There is a bucketload of talent on our list but I'm not sure the kamikaze nature of the gameplan is sustainable unless you have something more rigid behind it. We really should've been done by 5 or 6 goals yesterday, minimum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was Sam I'd bring in Dunstall to have a "quiet" chat to young Will about playing on and kicking around the body from straight in front.......
If Day haq his time again.

He was in a rush. Almost played on initially then when back and went for the quick snap...just needed to settle, take a breath and slot it.

If only goals was the sole metric on which to judge him.

Once again we play him and his opponents peal off and intercept while he exerts little pressure at ground level. Taylor, himmlberg and buckly dominated the air. Lewis was well held and once denver ran out of puff it took our smalls out of the game. I can see he is working really hard on these things and like most players its not all bad but, he doesn’t get enough of the ball and is a liability without it. How long do your persist with him? How do we get more competitive in the air and at ground level with him in the side?
i get yr point and agree he has deficiencies in his game, which is why we need to play him as our third forward. Kosi is the one i want back in there, or even DGB, but as long as we have a second KPF, Greene (like Gunston and Boyle before him) could be a real weapon. Sticky hands and a decent shot at goal is exactly what we're crying out for now, and Greene has done that every game he has played

I reckon the point he was making he has been a terrible trade for the club which everyone would agree with .

Anyone can google “wingards statistics like you just have to try and belittle someone and prove a point to look like some hero.

Remember when you said the Giants are 1.7mill over the cap and then disputed Chad wasn’t being paid 750k a year. 😂

Give it a rest Kermit.
Poor faceless BigFooty account being "belittled" for repeating a bullshit talking point that Chad has never played good footy at the Hawks. Cry about it.

Seeing as you seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of my post history you'd know that I've spoken about Chad playing good footy for us prior, certainly didn't need to Google anything. That said, I guess you know * all about my posts because I never once said GWS were 1.7m over the cap.

A worrying stat: taylor, himmlberg and buckley had 10 score involvements compared with lewis, dgb and greene, who had 7. We simply have to find another tall who can be competitive to help lewis out.
That’s awful and that was the game, given Newcombe, Day, Worpel and Nash dominated the midfield. Yes the delivery wasn’t great but the forward line was terrible. Lewis lowered his colours against a gun defender and the rest offered little

Worpel was excellent today, made a couple of stupid errors but overall his best game for the year. Finn huge effort on Kelly.

Overall our midfield and defence was very good today - I’d say on balance we won both areas, but delivery into F50 and Sam Taylor marking everything coming in stopped our scoring
I didn't see the game but just checked the stats.

Did Finn really keep Kelly to 6 disposals, whilst getting 15 himself?

Hawthorn must've sensed a terrorist threat, and did their bit by trying to bring down every aircraft with the lack of sense to fly over the ground.

Was really flat after this loss, though we were fortunate to be in it at half time I thought we controlled the game thereafter but couldn't take advantage due to our ridiculous forward entries. I thought we would have benefitted by slowing the game considerably so that we didn't keep getting torched on turnover.

Denver did some good things in the first half, showed he has some real speed with a few defensive efforts but he was ineffectual in the second half. I love him but it's beggars belief that an athlete could be so physically underdone after three pre seasons. At the other end I lost count of how many times Scrimshaw juggled and uncontested mark and dropped it.

On a more positive note James Blanck is is quietly becoming a really good one on one defender, we have a lot to work with here.

Watching Scrimshaw this year reminds me so much of Joel Bowden without the AA.

He's just an average one-on-one defender who hasn't really been at all damaging by foot this year.

Doesn't run and break lines. Doesn't stand key forwards, or damaging small forwards. Sicily, Wedde and CJ all seem to offer more third up in a contest.

Like Bowden and the Tigers, feels like our improvement will be with Scrim not in the 22.

Every chance that's the idea with Sicily and CJ available moving forward.

Weddle and Mitchell have been huge wins for us this year and moving forward.

Last edited:
A worrying stat: taylor, himmlberg and buckley had 10 score involvements compared with lewis, dgb and greene, who had 7. We simply have to find another tall who can be competitive to help lewis out.
That stat tells you that any half decent backline (which GWSs had) will essentially treat our current forward line with borderline contempt.

It’s pretty simple to nullify our forward line at the moment, put your best key defender on Lewis and then the other five defenders essentially run riot as they know that;

1. The remaining five Hawks forwards are minimal scoring threats at best (Bruest aside)

2. There will be little forward line pressure coming your way so feel free to go for a run down the field

If I was an attacking half back I’d be licking my lips at the prospect of playing against our forward line at the moment.

Poor faceless BigFooty account being "belittled" for repeating a bullshit talking point that Chad has never played good footy at the Hawks. Cry about it.

Seeing as you seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of my post history you'd know that I've spoken about Chad playing good footy for us prior, certainly didn't need to Google anything. That said, I guess you know * all about my posts because I never once said GWS were 1.7m over the cap.

Don’t be sour because you have been called out.

Use it as an opportunity to improve your behaviour and word your responses a bit nicer to people.

Sad Lonely GIF by Pokémon

Always annoying when you can’t see the ground in full but if anyone was at the ground, how hard do the forwards lead?

It seemed like greene doesn’t work hard enough or time his runs correctly. Our forward line needs a ton of work.

Thought we really missed butlers pressure to, wingard was actually good but with greene wingard we just don’t get enough pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back