Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t care about other teams. Like I said as long as we have kids who are showing promise, improving, are competitive and the game plan is sound, then I’m fine with us finishing last.

For * sake - that's the entire point. You can 'not care' about other teams all you like - but if we finish below the present Norf and West Coast outfits then we wouldn't be competitive or improving.

For * sake - that's the entire point. You can 'not care' about other teams all you like - but if we finish below the present Norf and West Coast outfits then we wouldn't be competitive or improving.
For * sake….. North have a young talented list like our own but with a few more veterans to help them. The Eagles will get players back and play every 2nd game in Perth ( massive advantage).

That aside I still don’t care where they finish or how many games they win or lose. Like I said GAMEPLAN, COMPETITIVENESS, IMPROVEMENT if that is done I don’t care if we finish last, but that’s just me you can have a problem with it if you like that’s up to you!

There is no way we finish last after that performance compared to the other spoon contenders. To be clear on my position I want to avoid the spoon and get Reid, just need to figure out how…
The last pick 1 to play in a premiership team is Tom Boyd, the previous one is Luke Hodge. Neither were picked by the team that finished last on the ladder in their draft year.

If Reid goes pick 1 chances are he'll never play in a premiership or get traded before he does.

Mitch Lewis got a MotY nomination:

Pretty disgraceful footage from AFL though. Clip is 1:44 long, a full minute is spent on multiple replays of Curnow's mark, 15s on Dunkley's and 20s on Lewis'.

I do think Curnow's was the best, but still, that's pretty piss poor.

Is that even the right mark?

I thought Lewis took a better one up the other end.

I am not trying to under value his contribution. Agree his ruck work as one predicted has added to our ability to first use and the significant improvement in clearances, both centre and around the ground.

He can take a grab as witnessed in the last qtr in particular, for him to become very dangerous and an AGrader he just needs to hold more around the ground.

To have a dominant 212cm big man would be a first for the HFC. He will take time but I love his growth and improvement. Long may it continue.
Tops, is Reeves 212cm? On the Hawks website he is stated at 210cm and Dermott Brereton insists that he is 211cm.

The below piece of info says… that he is 211, and also says that he is the tallest player to ever play AFL.
Where did you get 212 from?

List of the Tallest AFL Players Ever​

RankHt (cm)Ht (feet/inch)PlayerTeamYears
12116' 11"Ned ReevesHawthorn2019–
2116' 11"Mason CoxCollingwood2015–
2116' 11"Aaron SandilandsFremantle2003–2019
2116' 11"Peter Street Geelong/Western Bulldogs2001-2008
52106' 10.5"Matthew 'Spider' BurtonFremantle, West Coast, Kangaroos1990-2003
62096' 10"Jarrod WittsCollingwood, Gold Coast2012+
2096' 10"Dawson SimpsonGeelong, Greater Western2010-2019
2096' 10"Max GawnMelbourne2010+
92076' 9.5"Tim EnglishBulldogs2017+
2076' 9.5"Rory LobbGreater Western, Fremantle, Bulldogs2014+

If this info is accurate… awesome! Not that it that matters on the field but off the field, when I talk to my mates, when being able to say that the Hawks have the tallest player in AFL history that is currently good and yet to hit his straps… that is a fun chat point.

I think you’re lost - this isn’t the Carltank board.

Again - the last #1 draft pick to win a premiership with a side that finished dead last to get them was Des Headland - and the Lions sure as hell didn’t win the 2002 flag because of him. History is absolutely against bottoming out for the #1 pick - even the ones who are ‘generational talents’.
I agree. Harley will go to West Coast.. The Hawks are too good And they are that bad.

loving the Wizard, his height is no issue for me. In fact it could be an advantage. he will never have to duck, go low in the knees, or shrug to get a free kick. Everyone will hit him high because he is short and fast. 20 easy goals

Last edited:
Tops, is Reeves 212cm? On the Hawks website he is stated at 210cm and Dermott Brereton insists that he is 211cm.

The below piece of info says… that he is 211, and also says that he is the tallest player to ever play AFL.
Where did you get 212 from?

List of the Tallest AFL Players Ever​

RankHt (cm)Ht (feet/inch)PlayerTeamYears
12116' 11"Ned ReevesHawthorn2019–
2116' 11"Mason CoxCollingwood2015–
2116' 11"Aaron SandilandsFremantle2003–2019
2116' 11"Peter StreetGeelong/Western Bulldogs2001-2008
52106' 10.5"Matthew 'Spider' BurtonFremantle, West Coast, Kangaroos1990-2003
62096' 10"Jarrod WittsCollingwood, Gold Coast2012+
2096' 10"Dawson SimpsonGeelong, Greater Western2010-2019
2096' 10"Max GawnMelbourne2010+
92076' 9.5"Tim EnglishBulldogs2017+
2076' 9.5"Rory LobbGreater Western, Fremantle, Bulldogs2014+

If this info is accurate… awesome! Not that it that matters on the field but off the field, when I talk to my mates, when being able to say that the Hawks have the tallest player in AFL history that is currently good and yet to hit his straps… that is a fun chat point.
I have been told he has reached 212cm. But you have to say, it does not really matter

I have been told he has reached 212cm. But you have to say, it does not really matter
I remember prior to his debut they mentioned he'd grown from 208 or 209 to 211, hadn't heard anything about him getting any taller than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally got to watch the first half of the game late last night. That was the most scintillating half of footy I have seen the Hawks play in a long time. Ward playing in the midfield was outstanding. Newcombe was in beast mode which I think is just normal mode for him and Day is rapidly becoming a genuine star midfielder. Any talk of 'upgrading' Worpel to Parish can get stuffed. Worps is rapidly getting back to his best. Looks to be totally re-energised. Impey also back to his best. Fun times ahead folks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back