Autopsy Round 17, 2023 : Hawks go down to Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Ffs just because you don't remember better games doesn't mean there weren't any. He had 32 and kicked 2 goals against Brisbane in 2021 and was the third highest rated Mid-Forward that season behind Stringer and Martin.
Correct and 2 years running made Champion data’s team of the year on a half forward flank

103 marks to 54. Do we need to establish a marking academy at Hawthorn? I know we are handball happy but we would have to be the weakest marking side in the comp I suspect - I guess the norf game will tell us. I don't count WCE. It's an art form and we aren't even enrolled in the class.
We don't have much aerial presence at all. Without Sic, Jai and Day seem to be our best overhead. How many did Scrim juggle but fail to hold today? Lewis has his moments but can't seem to string it together week after week. Noodle and Meek just aren't competitive in the air. Weddle can take a grab so there's some potential there. Overall it's a real weakness.

We don't have much aerial presence at all. Without Sic, Jai and Day seem to be our best overhead. How many did Scrim juggle but fail to hold today? Lewis has his moments but can't seem to string it together week after week. Noodle and Meek just aren't competitive in the air. Weddle can take a grab so there's some potential there. Overall it's a real weakness.

Overall stats tell us we are mid range…next to Collingwood

103 marks to 54. Do we need to establish a marking academy at Hawthorn? I know we are handball happy but we would have to be the weakest marking side in the comp I suspect - I guess the norf game will tell us. I don't count WCE. It's an art form and we aren't even enrolled in the class.

Were ranked 8th for marks in the league and GWS are ranked 12th but ok.

Day really needs to work on his goal kicking. I think I have him on a par with Nash from a set shot, well behind Worpel. Need him to reliably nail those to make his marking prowess a true weapon.

Clearance work today was a thing of beauty. Apart from the first 10 minutes, our tackle pressure was good. Those two things kept us in it.

Pity they don’t take stats about the height of a kick as we would have won this stat hands down, especially kicks forward of the centre

we were getting smashed in marking contests in our forward line and so we changed it up a bit and went even higher with every forward entry.

surprisingly, it didn’t work

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The team learnt a lot the last couple of weeks. This had all the hallmarks of another blowout.

Big concern is our inability to lower the eyes going inside 50. The giants simply put 3-4 defenders 20m out, knowing that the ball was going to be popped high and long.

We need to figure out how to clear the 50 to create space for forwards to lead into

I like to see some of our mids kicking goals, Ward, CMac and Worps with Day should have kicked at least one. Going forward this will help. Did Amon play more of half back? His kicking on the most part was awesome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of those would be passing it around the backline.

We are second last for contested marks. While being 4th last for marks inside 50.

And GWS is ranked 5th last. They've taken ten whole CM more for the year and we've had Sicily any Lewis out for a fair portion.

He costs salary. Watched him closely today and don’t think he’s the answer. In favour of Riccardi though.
We’re currently paying $500k for O’Meara to play for Freo and $200k for Mitchell to play for Collingwood. Surely we could actually pay for a player to play for Hawthorn.

I was at the game tonight and focused on the forward line by moving ends each quarter.

Yes we are kicking high balls into the forward line too much but I felt the cause wasn’t as simple as not lowering the eyes. There was great pressure from the Giants and a lack of forward line cohesion. Jason Dunstall would have struggled.

I feel Reeves is a big liability and get he is inexperienced but the guy he was up against was younger and played half as many games. He doesn’t get in good positions and is so easily bodied out of marking contests.

Forwards don’t work well as a unit. Not surprising given the lack of time as a unit. This is especially an issue at this ground as the pockets are narrow. The Giants were far better at getting isolation because they have better teamwork.

DGB was ok in the first half. Great pressure, didn’t look out of place in the forward line. I was struck by how lightly framed he is, he looks a long way off being a key position, looks more like a third tall to me.

Newcombe is a delight, I thought Maginness did a great tag and was ok with ball.

Compared to our loss against the Swans this year I thought we did ok against a team that is playing well and far more experienced on a ground that doesn’t suit us.

I spent most of the game wondering what sort of war chest it’d take to pry Taylor out to the hawks. Dead set gun

Absolute Gun and this is exactly the type of defender we need to try and develop or recruit from somewhere.

Having a good strong key defender makes everyone around them walk much taller. Mitch Lewis has really struggled the past couple of weeks against Weitering and Taylor who are both quality key backs.

Day really needs to work on his goal kicking. I think I have him on a par with Nash from a set shot, well behind Worpel. Need him to reliably nail those to make his marking prowess a true weapon.

Clearance work today was a thing of beauty. Apart from the first 10 minutes, our tackle pressure was good. Those two things kept us in it.

Agree with your summary of his kicking for goal. Needs some serious work, but Fyfe won two Brownlows being a poor kick for goal so fingers crossed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back