Preview Round 17, 2023 : Giants v Hawks, 4.35pm July 8th, Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moore is out of form. The only way to get him back into form is to play him as an inside midfielder. A role that served him well last year. He is close to the best endurance runner at the club. The ball is hardly been in the forward half at the moment.

I'm sure more changes than this, but ...

In: Kozi
Out: One ruck. Probably Reeves as he does less around the ground than Meek.

Lewis, Kozi and Greene haven't played in the same forward line for the year. Be interested to see how that worked out. Greene isn't a tall and isn't a pressure small. Lewis was getting beaten up without having a tall target to draw some heat, up forward. If Lewis gets double/triple teamed each week, i fear he'll be on the injury list before long. He's a great player, but not yet built to sustain that repeatedly.

Kozi can finish off quarters to give a ruck chop out to the one ruckman.

I'm sure more changes than this, but ...

In: Kozi
Out: One ruck. Probably Reeves as he does less around the ground than Meek.

Lewis, Kozi and Greene haven't played in the same forward line for the year. Be interested to see how that worked out. Greene isn't a tall and isn't a pressure small. Lewis was getting beaten up without having a tall target to draw some heat, up forward. If Lewis gets double/triple teamed each week, i fear he'll be on the injury list before long. He's a great player, but not yet built to sustain that repeatedly.

Kozi can finish off quarters to give a ruck chop out to the one ruckman.
Agree with the interest around Lewis, Kozi, Greene not playing in the same forward line. I am of the opinion two talls and a medium is the way to go. Greene has the IQ to be a real pain when the opposition is focussed on two monsters in the same way that Gunston was with the Roughhead-Franklin-Hale type setups. I also agree that our two rucks have no natural forward IQ, so I don't see the value in continuing two rucks. I'm putting a lot of eggs imto into the Ramsden basket in the hope can fill the ruck/fwd role.

For this game I'd like to see a Lewis-Kozi-Green setup, with Kozi more as a foil and doing the heavy-lifting in the packs, and see if it frees up Greene to do some Greene things. In this case I could tolerate Wingard down there and perhaps Brocky to give us some X factor. Then we need a pressure fwd to help lock the ball in, perhaps a role for the mids as they cycle through.

Last edited:
OUT: Meek, Butler, Frost, Greene, Morrison
IN: Serong, Impey, Brockman, Mackenzie, Jiath (sub)

Ready to play around with our KP stocks. Serong and DGB both in.
Would like to see one of Reeves or Meek as a solo ruck, with extra run on the ground.
Greene and Morrison unlucky.

FB: Weddle - Blanck - Hardwick
HB: Impey - Serong - Scrimshaw

MID: Reeves - Worpel - Nash
MID: Day - Newcombe - Amon

HF: Moore - DGB - Wingard
FF: Breust - Lewis - Brockman

INT: Ward - Mackenzie - Mitchell - Morrison
SUB: Jiath
I see the above as a bit of a “this” team:

1688615383489.jpeg

Impey in for Finn
Ramma or DGB in for Reeves.
Brocky in for Butler
Long in for Bruest

Not sure yet about CJ but he can be in for Morrison.

As excited I am for DGB cracking the team as a forward I hope we keep expectations reasonable here.

He's played a grand total of one full (albeit promising) game as a forward at VFL alongside a handful of quarters being shifted there. It takes time to learn the intricacies of a new position. I'm surprised we appear to be pulling the trigger so early, must have really liked what we saw.

I'm not expecting a win this weekend, but * I'd like to see a bit of aggression and will. I'm not sure if our tackling game has been stymied on purpose because of the Sicily suspension, but we've certainly looked off in the pressure stakes over the past 2 games. Let's hunt!

Getting the ball in the pockets makes it harder to get goals.
At least Fergus is getting the ball and having set shots. Not every mark can be directly in front of the goals.
He kicked the most score for Hawthorn 2.2 and could easily had kicked 4, as the two he missed were pretty gettable. Not sure he deserves to be dropped as others are suggesting after the one game back. He has come back in the team after kicking 5 & 3 goals in consecutive weeks for Box Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As excited I am for DGB cracking the team as a forward I hope we keep expectations reasonable here.

He's played a grand total of one full (albeit promising) game as a forward at VFL alongside a handful of quarters being shifted there. It takes time to learn the intricacies of a new position. I'm surprised we appear to be pulling the trigger so early, must have really liked what we saw.
Does GWS have a good matchup for him ?
( i am thinking "no", but what would I know about them )

I thought I read somewhere that he seemed pretty spent when coming off after his runs throughout the BHH game. Perhaps I read wrong.
I believe he had a 12 possession first quarter for Box Hill, might have had something to do with it. That’s why sub may be a good option for him and the team if his fitness is somewhat underdone. Saying that a puffed CJ would still have more speed and endurance than most players.
As a sub, with fresh legs and speed to burn he could really do some damage against tiring opposition.

At least Fergus is getting the ball and having set shots. Not every mark can be directly in front of the goals.
He kicked the most score for Hawthorn 2.2 and could easily had kicked 4, as the two he missed were pretty gettable. Not sure he deserves to be dropped as others are suggesting after the one game back. He has come back in the team after kicking 5 & 3 goals in consecutive weeks for Box Hill.
With Bruest injured, I imagine Green’s a fair chance to stay in the side, especially if an inexperienced DGB is played forward. We can’t make too many changes.

Just hope they make some chances this week and get some guys who need to be playing senior footy in the team. As others said last weeks team was a little 'Clarko-esque'. Although it's then hard to drop either Wingard or Morrison based of their performances. Wingard was involved in a lot of our attacks forward in the third term.

Would love to see DGB, Mackenzie, obviously Impey and probably Brocky back.
But then we really need to get a look at those other guys like Long, Hustwaite etc, it's tough because we've been so healthy this year.

Yeah. Fergus goes alright. Not sure he's a long term answer. Always loathe his pressure to keep the ball inside the forward 50 and not sure he's hard at the contest.

Love him to work as he looks a stand out guy, but he needs to be 3rd banana. And stick a few tackles!

It may not be a permanent move more a
Circuit breaker. He’s been working hard all year on things they wanted him to improve and that I’m sure takes a mental toll. He looked reenergised and played with a freedom I haven’t seen this year. He really led strongly jumped and marked well. Regardless of which end he plays I hope it is with the same enthusiasm we saw last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back