Preview Round 17, 2023 : Giants v Hawks, 4.35pm July 8th, Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changes all that in here.

Brockman, Jiath and Impey likely to be available.
Sicily 1 more week of suspension to serve.

Does DGB come in as a forward?

Go at it.

IN: Grainger-Barras, Impey, Jiath

OUT: Frost (omitted), Wingard (omitted), Reeves (omitted)

B: Jiath, Blanck, Hardwick

HB: Impey, Scrimshaw, Weddle

C: Day, Worpel, Amon

HF: Greene, Grainger-Barras, Moore

F: Breust, Lewis, Butler

R: Meek, Newcombe, Nash

INT: Ward, Morrison, Mitchell, MacDonald, MacKenzie (Sub)

EMG: Frost, Wingard, Serong, Ryan

We've got a forward line that was running at 31% efficiency from inside 50's, a midfield that couldn't win the clearances despite having double the hitouts, and a half forward line that is pretty much non-existent for large parts of the game each week. The rucks aren't the major issue, it's how we work with them at the stoppages.

Whether it's DGB or Ryan, we've got to get another marking tall in next to Lewis. Brockman and Impey have to come back in as well. Not sure on CJ and Frenchy, but it would be good if we could get them back in as well.

Brocky & Impey should be back in.
Jiath adds a lot more run if ready.
Would like Ramsden forward instead of one of our rucks.
Ryan or DGB should be considered ahead of Greene. Greene wasn't bad but his game doesn't help Lewis in any way, he was double teamed while they just ignored Greene.
Long/Mackenzie should also be considered. Something stinks about our midfield mix defensively, they let their opponents put the backline under siege too often.
No-one ready to replace Frost especially if we persist with DGB forward. Sicily will be the natural transition.

Morrison, Wingard and Greene all played reasonably well today and don’t really deserve to get dropped. We just lose all speed and defensive pressure with them in side. There needs to be a balance, we can’t play Greene, Bruest and Wingard at same time. And same with Morrison and Ward. Ward has to stay so can’t afford to play Morrison.
Hopefully it’s Out- Meek, Greene, Butler and Morrison, Worpel out.
In- DGB, Jiath, Brocky, Mackenzie, Stephens in.

We looked off structurally: neither ruck can play forward and so we lacked a 2nd marking option; no-one other than our rucks can ruck, so we had no cover once we subbed out Ned; we were beaten to the drop of the ball at clearance - although we have a lot of mids, there were not enough clearance players. And our defensive transition was woeful.

Structurally, I’d drop a ruck and Greene for either Kosi or Rama (or Ryan if he can chop out in the ruck) and a clearance player - Stephens, Hustwaite, or Long. Our options here show some of the holes in our list. Greene was ok, but I don’t think we have room for his role right now.

Frost for DGB.

Harry and Chad both played their part, happy for them to stay, but they probably go out if the players they replaced are ready to go.

I thought it was Nash’s worst game in a while, but he’s got a few runs on the board now, so hope he can turn it around.

Ext In: Impey, Brockman, Ramsden, Serong, Stephens, MacKenzie

Out: Meek, Nash (rested) Greene, Morrison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Impey, Brockman, DGB, Ramsden/Kossy

Out: Reeves, Butler, Frost, Wingard/Greene/Bruest

Do not want to see Meek and Reeves play together for the remainder of 2023. Make a choice, pick one and see how they go rucking one out for a period of games.

Replace one of Wingard/Greene/Bruest with one of Ramsden/Kossy for structural purposes.

DGB for Frost as straight swap.

Need to get the structure of the team right as first order of business.

We've got a forward line that was running at 31% efficiency from inside 50's, a midfield that couldn't win the clearances despite having double the hitouts, and a half forward line that is pretty much non-existent for large parts of the game each week. The rucks aren't the major issue, it's how we work with them at the stoppages.

Whether it's DGB or Ryan, we've got to get another marking tall in next to Lewis. Brockman and Impey have to come back in as well. Not sure on CJ and Frenchy, but it would be good if we could get them back in as well.
Its funny because I thought our rucks were actually good. They were hitting it to the right spots but our mids were woefully stagnant.

Sam mentioned in the presser that we were +35 hitouts, but -11 for first possessions. Stating the Midfield was well beaten.
Why would Sam drop a ruck for that? They held up their end of the bargain in there.

It's highly unlikely that he does, to my eyes and ears.

I think guys like MacDonald, Chad, Butler, are far more likely to come under pressure to keep their spots, when Brockman, Impey and CJ are going to be available.

Sam mentioned in the presser that we were +35 hitouts, but -11 for first possessions. Stating the Midfield was well beaten.
Why would Sam drop a ruck for that? They held up their end of the bargain in there.

I think guys like MacDonald, Chad, Butler, are far more likely to come under pressure to keep their spots, when Brockman, Impey and CJ are going to be available.
Rucks were absolutely not the issue, it was our midfield. I even think despite missing a couple easy ones that Greene overall was good.

100% MacDonald has fumbled a lot the last couple weeks. Think Mackenzie should be thereabouts as a recall, he's so composed with the ball and tackles hard.

Our rucks have given us nothing forward of center all year - that's the biggest headache for mine. If we had McEvoy + another tall to support Lewis it would be much better structurally.

Neither Meek nor Reeves take contested marks or hit the scoreboard.

We drop a ruck because they simply can’t play anywhere else and they barely touch the ball in general play. They both offer very little up forward. Choose 1, drop the other for an extra midfielder/runner. Clearly Lewis needs some tall support but neither Meek or Reeves are the answer.

We drop a ruck because they simply can’t play anywhere else and they barely touch the ball in general play. They both offer very little up forward. Choose 1, drop the other for an extra midfielder/runner. Clearly Lewis needs some tall support but neither Meek or Reeves are the answer.
Can't see much value in dropping either of them, as they don't learn or improve against the bigger bodies by playing at Box Hill. We've clearly made the call that we want both to play senior footy in the longterm, so it makes sense to keep playing them and demanding more of them.

idk exactly what it is but our mids are falling into a similar trap they did in the past few years where they get too sucked into contests and don't defend the outside effectively, leading to easy transitions for the oppo

wouldn't be surprised if we take a look at our structure around the ball this game. not sure what that'll look like, but i imagine CJ, Impey and Brockman all come in

Morrison, Wingard and Greene all played reasonably well today and don’t really deserve to get dropped. We just lose all speed and defensive pressure with them in side. There needs to be a balance, we can’t play Greene, Bruest and Wingard at same time. And same with Morrison and Ward. Ward has to stay so can’t afford to play Morrison.
Hopefully it’s Out- Meek, Greene, Butler and Morrison, Worpel out.
In- DGB, Jiath, Brocky, Mackenzie, Stephens in.
I only watched the first half but during that time greene’s opponent pealed off him every single time we went forward. Lewis found life a lot harder because greene just isnt a big enough threat.

Greene got a few marks inside fifty just standing on his own but greene couldn’t convert and his opponent did far more damage the other way. He cant play as a second tall. I dont see him in out best aide but if we are going to play him it has to be as a third tall and we play another genuine kpf.

Can't see much value in dropping either of them, as they don't learn or improve against the bigger bodies by playing at Box Hill. We've clearly made the call that we want both to play senior footy in the longterm, so it makes sense to keep playing them and demanding more of them.

Drop one and play them at FF for BH?

You’re probably correct about what will happen, but after the last two weeks, a change may be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back