Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Naughton really was the match winner in the end. Maybe if Lewis kicks straight, as he normally does so clearly rusty, we'd have been up more and a real chance.

I feel for Sicily, that's Cameron and now Naughton that have been best on against him this year. Even Tex beat him last week.

We desperately, desperately, need to find a key position defender so Sicily can move into that Tom Stewart role.

Hopefully Blanck or DGB put in a performance today that sees them back against Freo.
Mate, Sicily wasn’t even on naughton for half his goals, him and Frost were split between him and Lobb, and Sicily was one of our best, his defensive efforts but he was awesome offensively, idk what you watched.

To be fair to Sicily one of his goals he coughed up against Naughton even Knights wouldn't have been able to stop.

Umpire with his pathetic bounce to advantage (still fuming it wasn't called back, Reeves was two metres away from the ball and had no chance to contest) basically palmed it to Bont himself and it was inevitable at that point.

I too am extremely worried about Hardwick but he seems to escape criticism/ scrutiny by Hawks supporters because he normally has a tough match up.

His decision making at times like jumping when he needs to stay on the ground and some of his field kicking at times is horrendous.

He has some mates down there that can murder the ball by foot including our skipper who twice in the first qtr kicked the ball like it was a balloon and to the opposition.
Hardwick? Seriously. I dunno what game I was watching. But I thought he was one of our best on. Constantly mopping up down back and driving out of defence

Hardwick? Seriously. I dunno what game I was watching. But I thought he was one of our best on. Constantly mopping up down back and driving out of defence
Came in for special comments from Sam in the presser too, for keeping Weightman anonymous.

Lots of improvements so far this year with the midfield being a standout.

However, here is our last 3 weeks oppo key forwards.
GWS Hogan 2.4 Himmelberg 2.3
Crows Walker 4.1 Fogarty 3.1
Dogs Naughton 4.3 Lobb 2.0,

Oppo 17.11 v Hawks 1.4.(only one game obviously with a key fwd)

Season in a nutshell. Haven’t included the maulings by Swans and Cats keys.

No key fwds and no key backs.
Until we get them in place, lots of honourable losses coming up…

For years.
Anyone know what the deal is with Blank? Got dropped a few weeks ago after that bad start to the season, but wondering what issues he needs to work on , and if he is still deemed to be in the long term plans for our backline. We need someone to deal with the big forwards badly

Anyone know what the deal is with Blank? Got dropped a few weeks ago after that bad start to the season, but wondering what issues he needs to work on , and if he is still deemed to be in the long term plans for our backline. We need someone to deal with the big forwards badly

Was playing under severe discomfort with the wisdom tooth debacle. Probably giving him some time to build confidence again.

Reeves, Newcombe, Day

Can they be our Gawn, Petracca, Oliver?

Some great signs as of late.
The midfield is coming along really nicely. I'm not sure if they can get to their calibre of player throughout their careers, considering those three are arguably all top 5 players in the league at their best, but they should be one of the best midfield trios soon enough. We also have Ward with his two-way running and composure; Nash and Worpel providing bigger bodies at stoppages; Mackenzie (when he plays) with his class, composure, and beautiful inside 50 entries; and Amon providing class on the wing. We should also hope to start seeing Connor MacDonald play through the middle more over the next two years. And, of course, we have Maginness, who will hopefully work more on his all-around midfield craft at Box Hill. You then have Long, Stephens, and Hustwaite coming through at Box Hill.

Never had Hardwick becoming a whipping boy in my bingo sheet for 2023.

On this board we seem to have a real aversion to solid, unflashy players who perform their role well. Hardwick keeps Weightman to less than a disposal for most of the game and we're talking dropping him for a few shaky disposals.

Morrison was nowhere near our worst last night and plays a very specific, clearly thankless role that we don't have much cover for on our list. He might have wasted an opportunity or two but at least he got them.

Reeves beat the form ruck in the competition and all you see from certain people is that he did "well" but with no real belief that he can actually play football, no conceding that they might have been wrong.

Not everyone can be all flash and tricks, not everyone should. Some people just do their job and that's enough. There were bigger issues last night than individual player performances.

Well it’s normal. Same is happening to DGB. When you cost the club a lot of draft capital or are on big coin you’re going to get those extra expectations. If you fail to perform the fans are going to let you know about it. You’ll never stop that and it’s not just a Hawthorn thing.

I don’t recall anyone slagging Burgoyne of despite him costing us an arm and leg. The trick is just to perform.

In the end the blame really should lie on the shoulders of the recruitment team. Both Wingard and DGB were bad calls.

A tad early to be slagging off about DGB!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

All I'm going to say about that second half was that our refusal to switch when we had the outnumber and instead, kick it long to a contest was frustrating.
I was at the ground on level 3 and particularly in that last quarter it was painfully obvious. The most obvious one was done by Frost. He will pull the trigger on a 50/50 45 into the corridor, but won't kick it 45 back to Sic for the switch, dumb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never had Hardwick becoming a whipping boy in my bingo sheet for 2023.
Wait till Worps has a perceived down game!
Trade him to geelong, replace him with parish, he won't be part of our next premiership side etc....
The Hardwick talk is laughable

All I'm going to say about that second half was that our refusal to switch when we had the outnumber and instead, kick it long to a contest was frustrating.
I was at the ground on level 3 and particularly in that last quarter it was painfully obvious. The most obvious one was done by Frost. He will pull the trigger on a 50/50 45 into the corridor, but won't kick it 45 back to Sic for the switch, dumb.
The lack of switching happened against the crows as well in the 2nd half, it was a clear option that we looked at but ignored.

Must be a coaching direction otherwise why would we kick down the line to an out number.

Very excited from where we have come from since round 1. Some of passages of play in the 1st half last night was very exciting with glimpses of what we can expect for a full game in the coming seasons.

strap in going to be fun to watch

Yeah, I’m one of those weird people that prefers my team to not finish last.
Be clear, I am one of those people who want my team to win 5 games this year and … finish last (because the guy is that good)

Finishing last means nothing! Who cares? The position on the ladder does not matter if it does not say Premiers.

Finishing 10th…. now that is a ladder position means something = that a team that is either on the way to challenging or is stuck in a rut that they will not get out of. St Kilda, for all their ladder position, are in that rut. Ross will not change that.

So yes Ned, your need to not finish last irrespective of development is weird.

Shout out to Brocky, his confidence in himself and belief that he belongs is really noticeable. The young man has some beautiful moves and awareness. I'm dreaming of him getting some moments running through the midfield in the future years.
agreed. If he was also a tackling machine his number 33 would be uncanny.

Was it coaching directive (play conservatively to keep game tight) or players went into their shells? It was strange.

He just needs to hold some marks. It will come
I am not trying to under value his contribution. Agree his ruck work as one predicted has added to our ability to first use and the significant improvement in clearances, both centre and around the ground.

He can take a grab as witnessed in the last qtr in particular, for him to become very dangerous and an AGrader he just needs to hold more around the ground.

To have a dominant 212cm big man would be a first for the HFC. He will take time but I love his growth and improvement. Long may it continue.

The lack of switching happened against the crows as well in the 2nd half, it was a clear option that we looked at but ignored.

Must be a coaching direction otherwise why would we kick down the line to an out number.

Very excited from where we have come from since round 1. Some of passages of play in the 1st half last night was very exciting with glimpses of what we can expect for a full game in the coming seasons.

strap in going to be fun to watch

Watching on Kayo I thought we looked spent in the last quarter - hence the slow play down the line. Did it look that way at the ground?

Reeves is only 24 - a few years off the prime years for most rucks.
He is tracking beautifully. We’re winning the centre clearances most weeks largely to his tap work. He’s showing signs of marks around ground and more involvement. Not there yet but it’s coming together - the fact he can match/beat the inform ruck in comp in English is a great sign.

agreed. If he was also a tackling machine his number 33 would be uncanny.
The number 33 prior, who you speak off, stuck his tackles, it is why he became the master. Brocky just needs to add this to his repertoire. Becoming serious about his footy (as he now is) is a big step in the right direction.

I remain very confident he has the ability to become a very good player, I hope he will really benefit from the 50 game milestone. Time will tell.

Another KPF and KPD for a bit of depth and it will come sooner than you think.

Did I hear in Sam's presser that Hardwick will definitely be in the next premiership side? Roll on next year! ;-)

Game was between 2 bottom half of the ladder teams; on paper the Dogs, even without Liber, were a better squad, but was really happy the way the whole team took the game by the scruff of the neck to start with - and not too worried at the drop off - yet.

In no particular order, Lewis, Nash, Amon, Brockman, Bruest, Duke, Worpel : take a bow! Most of the rest did pretty well, too..

Frost had a decent day in defence - at least in the first half. The debutants looked comfortable.

There are still decision and execution errors. There looked to be a plan that needs to click with them all. No doubt between now and the next premiership, there will be player turnover, but I am not sure our ladder position reflects where we realy are... We're not too much higher, but there are worse than us.

BTW, I know this is probably sacrilege, but congrats to Bont on his 200th. I wish it wasn't a win for his team, but he is an exemplary playter of the game.
I would add Reeves to the bolded list.

Watching on Kayo I thought we looked spent in the last quarter - hence the slow play down the line. Did it look that way at the ground?
Yeah agree we looked tired but that shouldn’t stop us switching the play when we have open players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back