Autopsy Round 23, 2023 : Hawks fall to the Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope Mitchell responds to that garbage from Goodwin. Finn is not a dirty tagger and deserves some respect, especially when he's clamped Oliver and only had one less touch himself.

Seemed like Oliver was especially mad at Moore. Would love to know what Moore said.
Mitch commented on Finn in the post match presser. Put it nicely into context.

What did he say?

That they don't measure Finn's game by the amount of possessions he gets.

Also, the team and Finn need to continue to evolve his game going forward and continue to see what his role looks like, and maybe one day, it will be about possessions too.

Just rewatched the game.

Huss with a great debut, very composed and beautiful set shot action.
Think Kosi has copped more than he deserved for today considering the delivery to him.
Finn is just an absolute beast.
Blanck was excellent imo.
Worpel loves being the main man.
Reeves was excellent against an elite ruck.
Denver was very promising but faded. Tank will grown in time.
Amon excellent.
CMac killed it.

Sicily very lazy today with his disposal today.
Thought Morrison was pretty average today and I'm a fan.
Disappointed Long didn't get more midfield/game time but when he was on I thought his defensive running was excellent.
Ward disappointing to only get 8 disposals.

Overall happy with the team considering our two key outs (3 if you count Chad and 4 if Ryan). I'm super excited about the future of this club and love everything Sam is doing right now.

Just read all the posts, thanks 🙏🏼 BTW, I get the feeling half the team were a bit off today. Sicily, Impey, Morrison, Kozi, Ward etc.
Cant put a finger on why, are they tired, gun shy of the Dees, resigned to a loss before the start because of the outs and quality of the opposition?
Anyhoo if these guys had been ON ! Maybe we could have stolen it. Never know but think we are better than that in the second half.

I thought Mitchell coaches really well today. With our outs, obviously we were going to be out powered. Instead of our high handball run and gun attack, we possessed the ball, lots of marks etc. First quarter we dominated.

A good team like Melbourne are gonna work their way into the game. But to be within a kick during the 4th. Melb kicked away when Mitch moved a few things around to try and win the game but we had to try something different.

Also Reeves stepped up i thought. And the resilience of the group, to not let Melb get a run on and keep challenging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello? This is Brian the Melbourne Football Club heroine dealer.

Sorry Brian, Simon is in the presser making a dick of himself. I can give you this week's order from him if you like.

What's going on with Wardy?

Not ashamed to admit he's my favourite player and has been since the moment we drafted him.

But 8 disposals in a full game is very poor. Is he a little unwell?
Still only a second year player, will have to expect he will have these quiet games from time to time especially near the end of the season - has been pretty good the past month though

Definitely not enough love for Reeves today, thought he was huge.

Only took the 4 marks but most of them were impressive, probably his best game in regard to that and I thought was the better tap ruckman for the day.
Improving every week

BOG for mine.

Today's game;

Why I love the Hawks.

Why I despise the umpires.

And why I hate watching AFL games ruined by incompetent umpires and the overpaid meddling doucheclown AFL executive.
Please, please 🙏 know that almost always the umpire decisions even out. Very rarely do bad decisions by umpires make a difference (though it did for Adelaide … and that was awful).

If you are worried by the hands in the back rule… it is clear DGB got it wrong. He clearly pushed with hands instead of “held“ position with an elbow in the back. DGB got it wrong, not the umpire.

No doubt DGB will be shown his error in his video-review on Monday and next time he will slightly push in a legal Manor,

What other issues did you have with umpiring decisions? Happy to discuss.

My point is simply this: most games are not decided by umpires. The Hawks are not singled out to have decisions go against them. We lost because the demons were better.

I find people who want to feel like victims, due to umpiring decisions, do not see the things the Hawks need to improve to be good enough to win siliverware. I know Denver that this is a strong comment. If not correct, please respond.

Last edited:
Huge effort yesterday from the team against a premiership fancy, especially with the loss of Wingard, Lewis and Newcombe.
Of the 4 ins yesterday:
Long - 4th game
Serong - 4th game
Rama - 2nd game
Huss - 1st game

The way the team stuck to the task was tremendous and shows that we are on the right path.

Earlier this year, with those ins and the outs we had, we'd have been beaten by 10 goals. The belief in the team and understanding of the game plan has grown massively in the last 12 weeks and the last month has been about setting standards and goals for next year.

After 2 wins back to back it was always going to be a big ask against Melbourne.

Sat ground level. We're looking noticeably bigger as a team than at the start of the season. Jai Serong and Hustwaite both look like they will be a fixture next year.

Daisy running head first into the goal post was a worry.

Reeves is starting to take some marks in general play and has to take some credit for the centre clearance turnaround.

The big improver to me on the fringe is Harry Morrisson. It just goes to show that it takes a few years in the system to click. Excited for next week. Spots on the list up for grab and we are seeing some real hunger.

Conner McDonald played a good game but there were 2 marking contests he could have put his body on the line but didn't contest. Hopefully work on that over the summer because he has height, and we need more aerial power.

Ned Reeves improving around the ground - If you look at the improvement over the year he is coming along nicely.

Weddle knows where to position on the ground, especially to help out the backline. Must be a quick learner.

Love Longs endeavor and strength but just think his leg speed may cost him a prosperous AFL career. Whereas HH might not have the speed but his evasive skills and vision will see him get plenty of chances.

Good to see Mitchell try a few new things. A few times the corridor was open for Melbourne going forward. Need to tighten up on that - maybe due to so many new faces.
Love that we keep switching to find an opening, players just need to know that they can keep switching all day! Backs have to work hard all day to provide options - We got a bit tired at some stages and then went down the line straight to Melbourne.

Denver fantastic. Keep developing please! Clearly a forward. Great presenting.

Moore and Impey were very good. Will Day can play anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back