Preview Round 23, 2023 : Demons v Hawks, 3:20pm Sun 20th Aug MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This boards funny sometimes. We have just rolled Collingwood and the Dogs .
Have a fairly good form line too for a little while .

Yet people get so fixated and complain about selection . I would probably be backing the coaches in with what we are seeing .

Pretty sure if Melbourne beat us it wont be due to selection

Yet people get so fixated and complain about selection . I would probably be backing the coaches in with what we are seeing .

3 rounds ago we selected Blanck as the sub and had to activate him early because we had 9 goals kicked on us in the first 40 mins. Yes, the midfield weren't doing their job but I'm sure if Blanck started it wouldn't have been 9 consecutive goqls. Sometimes selection is the problem.

3 rounds ago we selected Blanck as the sub and had to activate him early because we had 9 goals kicked on us in the first 40 mins. Yes, the midfield weren't doing their job but I'm sure if Blanck started it wouldn't have been 9 consecutive goqls. Sometimes selection is the problem.
It is overstated how much impact it has at high level sport .
Ofcourse you are going to get the odd move that doesnt work in hindsight .

But in general people overcomplicate it.

No Sticks in the training today.
All 3 named emergencies are present though (plus the named 22).
Sticks ran laps yesterday, he won't play tomorrow.
I am doubtful Brockman plays tomorrow.
Feeling is that Serong plays as the sub as Box Hill have a fortnight off until their first game and if he doesn't play, that will not be beneficial to his performance in the finals

I’m at the stage now where I expect us to win every game lol.
Probably getting ahead of myself.
These guys tore us a new one last time, so really fascinated to see how our midfield goes this time against a very good, physical one.
Finn to petracca is a must.
Go hawks.
I reckon Nash to Pretracca, Finn to Oliver.

I reckon selection has played a very large part of our form line this year.

When Sam has picked, let's say more "experimental" lineups with Fergus as Key Forward and five short people down forward, 2 lumbering rucks, making Sicily play as our sole Key Defender, etc we have struggled.

But when we have gone with more traditional line ups with two proper key forwards in Lewis and Ryan, Blank to assist Sicily down back, Kosy as third key forward/back up ruck we have looked so much a better team.

Shows how important structure is to a teams success I think. Players like Ryan, Kosy and Blank aren't world beaters (yet) but they give us structure and importantly let our stars like Sicily and Lewis do their thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Sam has picked, let's say more "experimental" lineups with Fergus as Key Forward and five short people down forward, 2 lumbering rucks, making Sicily play as our sole Key Defender, etc we have struggled.

But when we have gone with more traditional line ups with two proper key forwards in Lewis and Ryan, Blank to assist Sicily down back, Kosy as third key forward/back up ruck we have looked so much a better team.

Shows how important structure is to a teams success I think. Players like Ryan, Kosy and Blank aren't world beaters (yet) but they give us structure and importantly let our stars like Sicily and Lewis do their thing.
Part of me thinks those experimental selections were on purpose. Sam clearly knows what the right team structures needed to be, probably didn't want to gift games based on structure and made players earn it.

In the Richmond game, in the last quarter. Sam and the coaching group completely changed our setup around the ground from the first three quarters where we played well..it was bizzare and again I think experimenting..

Structure no doubt helps but I think how our midfield has gone has been a big part of our improvement.

As a group and individually they are performing a lot better than the start of the year. While also not having as many big drop offs like we have seen.

Structure no doubt helps but I think how our midfield has gone has been a big part of our improvement.

As a group and individually they are performing a lot better than the start of the year. While also not having as many big drop offs like we have seen.
Definetly individual form makes a big difference.

But I looked at some of the forward lines in particular Sam was picking at the start of the year and realistically there was just no way in heck we were ever winning those games.

I feel like Sam did a bit of that this year, leaving players out of the side like Kosy and Scrimmers for educational purposes that probably cost us games.

Not saying it was wrong thing to do in a development year but I hope we have more of a win first mentality in 2024.

Greene was for the most part being selected on necessity with no Lewis available .
With Lewis available he then struggled for selection .
Different from Greene being selected over Lewis .
From there its working the best mix to fit with Lewis .

My point more being our form is good , 2 wins on the trot against good opposition yet selection before those games was questioned and again here .

You are absolutely correct. Not selecting Blanck at the start that day was confusing to say the least. Even today Meek is stated as emergency when he played a full game yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back