Autopsy Round 19, 2023 : Hawks can’t get it done against Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Or the captain mouthing off at an umpire and giving away a 50m penalty which led to a goal
Frost's error happened in the last minute of the game. It handed it to them.

it would've been really good to win this as it would've meant this young side had learnt something from previous close loses. Any other year I'd be horrified to lose after being 30 points up at 3/4 time, but this year I kinda expect it. But I guess it's all part of the journey and hopefully it'll just make them hungrier.

Ned Reeves has received a week for his tackle on Ivan Soldo.

Reeves with a week for the tackle. So this week it's the action as opposed to the Sicily one for the outcome. Just keep making s**t up as you go along AFL.

We can all point to individual events to blame for a loss and in this game there are plenty to choose from. Mine is Luke Breust as the oldest player simply had to take his 30 and kick a drop punt goal and game over. Toby Greene the same today missed every snap kicked 2 great drop punt goals. We forget most of these guys are thick as bricks lucky they make a good packet early on! Jack Riewoldt talked about how much losses like the 2018 prelim taught them, viewed similarly this game has enormous upside strategically speaking. The tigers are sliding down the cliff having mortgaged their future for average giants. An extra first round pick, nail both selections and add McCabe and by 2025 we push for the 8. Really trying after initial extreme disappointment to put things in context and enjoy the ride.

It happens far to often in saying that i didn't mind his cameo ruck role. I thought the team looked good moving the ball the first three quarters and covered the ground better with 1 ruck.

We simply ran out petrol tickets you could see it starting to happen half way thru the 3rd term.
The move off Day back was interesting we couldn't get out hands on the ball in the middle in the last quarter or make the right decision to retain the ball and kill some momentum. You can have all the experience you want but they can only do so much. The next evolution off the side will be devleoping more guys thru the middle who can wrestle back the momentum and be those match makers a good learning curve.

Lost 4 very winnable games this year, which I think we will turn around next year, I would be more concerned about our bad games.

Fix those 4 games and limit our worst footy and we play finals or put ourselves in with the best possible chance.

Still think we are a long way off it at full pressure but does anyone else think Sam changed the structure against the tigers to force it to be a tight contest? Some odd changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily Breust and Brockman all ended in a Tigers goal. We would have been so far ahead the last minute errors by Frost and Day wouldnt ha e mattered.

Unless youre thinking we would have handed them 9 goals not 6.
But they did happen and with time left to fix the issue.
Looking at then is no different to missed shots in the first quarter. They can be rectified with time left.

Frost screwed up in the last minute, with an error someone of his experience shouldn’t make, when the game was there to be won or lost.

It was akin to a game a few years back when we were up by a goal with a minute to go and at the centre bounce McEvoy went for the hit out do advantage, rather than just dropping it at his feet and creating a stoppage.

Players at 27+ yrs old should know what to do in those situations and how to stall for time. Younger blokes get a few credits in the bank.

First Crack called out our inexperience tonight late in the game and showed footage of how McIntosh was smart enough to just head straight to the goalsquare, as well as the Baker goal, but Kingy made mention that he’d love to see us in the same position late in another game this year because they don’t think we’d let that happen again.

Went on to say that Hawks fans “should be thrilled” with the footy we played in the first 3 quarters.

First Crack called out our inexperience tonight late in the game and showed footage of how McIntosh was smart enough to just head straight to the goalsquare, as well as the Baker goal, but Kingy made mention that he’d love to see us in the same position late in another game this year because they don’t think we’d let that happen again.

Went on to say that Hawks fans “should be thrilled” with the footy we played in the first 3 quarters.
We did have Nash, a mid, in the last contest with Day, that resulted in the goal. So some mids were pushing back to help out.

Would love this to be the Pies game. I reckon we match up well on them even though they're clearly a superior team.

How good would it be to enter the 2024 pre-season knowing we'd toppled half the top 4.

Incredibly disappointing end to what I thought was overall our best performance of the year. For 3 quarters we made Richmond look absolutely second rate and had complete control of the game. Our fade out late was somewhat expected considering our inexperience but you should never let a 36 point lead late in the third slip. A little more composure and ONE just one goal in that final term would have sealed the victory. I’m not going to point fingers, hopefully the sting of losing a game in that manner ensures that the team as a whole do what they can to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Onwards and upwards we are tracking very very nicely.

I know many on this forum are looking at finals football in 2025 and onwards however based on what I am seeing, I believe we are ready next season.

No one cares. We ******* lost by point. Talk about that
At least it wasn’t a prelim or grand final.
That’s pretty much how I dealt with yesterday’s loss. Hope it really burns it into our young guys that we need to put teams to the sword when we have the chance. We also need to find that gear between taking the game on at all cost and holding the ball and keeping possession.

Incredibly disappointing end to what I thought was overall our best performance of the year. For 3 quarters we made Richmond look absolutely second rate and had complete control of the game. Our fade out late was somewhat expected considering our inexperience but you should never let a 36 point lead late in the third slip. A little more composure and ONE just one goal in that final term would have sealed the victory. I’m not going to point fingers, hopefully the sting of losing a game in that manner ensures that the team as a whole do what they can to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Onwards and upwards we are tracking very very nicely.

I know many on this forum are looking at finals football in 2025 and onwards however based on what I am seeing, I believe we are ready next season.
That’s 4 games that we’ve let slip this season. Win all those then we’re just outside the 8. All in all if we can get another win or 2 before the season me of the season I think it’d be a relatively successful one.

If Frost didn’t handball the ball out it may have been deemed holding the ball / no attempt. The handball did actually get to Amon, but it was of poor quality and he in turn fumbled.
Last two goals were the result of Day going for the punch instead of the mark, thought he would have learnt his lesson after the first and could have taken a game saving mark with the second. Not to be, won’t lose any sleep over it. Think the Hawks showed enough on the day without chalking up the W and I’m pretty confident we’ll take a big scalp or two in the last few rounds.

Geez mate you’ve changed your tune.

Earlier this year you were throwing mud at Mitchell and the club on the main board with all the Carlton trolls.

At least we can console ourselves with this thought; the Tiges midfield consists of three highly paid big name imports while we had a Midseason draftee, an Irish rookie experiment and a number 45 draft pick matched against them and our midfield came out ahead. Add Day, Ward and CMac2 to the mix and we are both a lot younger and a whole lot cheaper to run than them. Our time will come again.

At least we can console ourselves with this thought; the Tiges midfield consists of three highly paid big name imports while we had a Midseason draftee, an Irish rookie experiment and a number 45 draft pick matched against them and our midfield came out ahead. Add Day, Ward and CMac2 to the mix and we are both a lot younger and a whole lot cheaper to run than them. Our time will come again.
And McKercher. Plus they don't have a first rounder this year. Kills em.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back