Autopsy Round 16, 2023 : Hawks get the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Annual blues v hawks game with brother in law, luckily he is a cracker bloke.
we didn’t turn up, no energy , no purpose. Blues are not that good just we were putrid.
I can’t believe our rucks didn’t dominate, that was the lowlight.
highlight was a touch of sun and a hot pie .
on to next week please.
Sammy first thing Monday, 🧨 crackers in hand and pants down on all the players.

Carlton don’t have a quick midfield but they looked quicker around the ball all game. Mainly because they spread the ball forward and always seemed to have a spare guy running offensive side of contest. The defensive work of our mids left a lot to be desired.

Says a bit about how much we rate Weddle. I thought it was a feather in his cap that he was even given the job in the first place.
And we shouldnt lose sight of what this season is mostly going to be about .
Wanting to expose and accelerate the growth of our young players.

I feel like every single time our midfield gets notably smashed people barely say anything about it and just say the rucks are s**t. I don't have any blinding insights either but I don't get why rucks aren't a major factor on the game for the rest of the league but it's a crippling defect for us.

And also a bit about how poor our defensive stocks are without Sicily.
With Blanck on McKay the choice was either Frost, Weddle or Scrim for Curnow.
We are playing one of the youngest teams each week and are bottom 4 .
We will gradually build depth in that area

We are overusing the handballs - must be the gameplan but its clearly not working. So many times we handball into dead situations and miss a chance at goal or turnover the ball. Quite a few times players could have a shot on goal too from 40 out. It's like they are not allowed to anymore or something.

Amon, MacDonald, Worpel a couple of very obvious examples could have had a ping 40 out.

Says a bit about how much we rate Weddle. I thought it was a feather in his cap that he was even given the job in the first place.
From what I have seen from Weddle he isn't yet a body on body player so that is what surprised me with the move plus Weddle has at times been caught behind and hasn't showed a natural instinct to spoil. It was an enormous stretch for mine by the coaches.

With Impey out I had hopes the instruction to Weddle was break your your in game record for running bounces to make up for no Impey. Instead we plonked Harry there to move it out by foot. Credit to Harry he was good and handled it with 1 touch in the first half when none else could. Thought the balance was out of whack.

Carlton don’t have a quick midfield but they looked quicker around the ball all game. Mainly because they spread the ball forward and always seemed to have a spare guy running offensive side of contest. The defensive work of our mids left a lot to be desired.
Carlton were on the move hard thru the stoppages and bullocked their way through. It created momentum for them and we weren't able to work through the tide. Plus they turned and pushed Reeves and boundary throw ins to tap the ball to Hawks defensive side whilst they bullocked through. We didn't adjust the whole 1st half.

Also the boundary throw ins were short all day and we didn't adjust.

Reeves also looked for contact before each throw in and allowed himself to get grappled. Why not when you are 210cm tall against an undersized ruck play the ball and let them find you?

Not sure Hale had a great day with the mids.
Also it's well known we are handball happy so why do we roll it out again? It's an easy game plan to counter with body pressure and congestion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are overusing the handballs - must be the gameplan but its clearly not working. So many times we handball into dead situations and miss a chance at goal or turnover the ball. Quite a few times players could have a shot on goal too from 40 out. It's like they are not allowed to anymore or something.

Amon, MacDonald, Worpel a couple of very obvious examples could have had a ping 40 out.

I don't mind it. We are trying to play perfect football and generate good shots on goal. If our skills are 10% better we can pull it off. Our skills just aren't there yet. Too many of those extra handballs are slow and loopy, or at the feet. This invites pressure and results in the turn over.

Frustrating as hell to watch. If we play the percentages better we would be more likely to win now but Sam is forging this team to be a contender in 2-3 years time, and winning isn't all that important until we are ready.

I'm here for the rebuild....but I'm kind of getting the feeling we might be re-building to an 'around the top 8 side' as opposed to 'one of the best teams to play the game'. Our form comes and goes...we can muster up an occasional great game, but more often than not we collectively go missing for a quarter, or a half.
2nd half score (haven't seen it) says if we play with purpose we can get things done. At times in the first half it was like the guys didn't know where to go...In the 2nd quarter just before I left for work, I saw some dudes just kind of jogging around to empty space in our forward 50 once a turnover had happened. Handball skills are down; we've lost the elite kicking style we used to be famous for. That kind of thing.
Let's see what next year brings.

Lol...I DO have the blues.:D

On the First Crack on Fox Sport they brought up that Hawthorn are the only team that have had 8 losses by 50 points out of 15 games where North Melbourne have only 5 out of 15 games so there is a massive gap between our best and worst despite some of our really good wins.

And I think there will be more with the young players getting tired towards season end and other teams have worked us out.

Carlton were on the move hard thru the stoppages and bullocked their way through. It created momentum for them and we weren't able to work through the tide. Plus they turned and pushed Reeves and boundary throw ins to tap the ball to Hawks defensive side whilst they bullocked through. We didn't adjust the whole 1st half.

Reeves also looked for contact before each throw in and allowed himself to get grappled. Why not when you are 210cm tall against an undersized ruck play the ball and let them find you?

Also it's well known we are handball happy so why do we roll it out again? It's an easy game plan to counter with body pressure and congestion.

Monkey was an excellent ruck coach. We miss him

Nothing less than a total embarrassment - following on from a totally cringeworthy performance last week.
This week we were goalless in the first half - last week we scored a total of 3 points in 2 quarters (half a game).

This is nothing to do about young kids getting a game under their belts. It’s about showing some spirit and having a go. Not playing pussy football under pressure.

And it’s not about kicking a few goals (not many if the truth be told) when we‘ve already been obliterated and the other side’s in cruise mode.

Last edited:
If you count the last quarter last week, that’s three quarters in a row without a goal.
I don’t care how you spin it or where this list is at, that is woeful.

We played a whole half today without kicking a goal, and this was against the 15th placed side. We have had some atrocious performances this season.

Last edited:

Because we cannot kick.
Also, we have NO structure. Fwd, because once Lewis is covered we have ZERO fwd AND because we are forced to play Frost we have next to ZERO in defence. Frost gives it back to the opposition.

I don’t think I have seen so many handballs go to the feet of Hawthorn players from Hawthorn players. Nothing to do with AGE.

Last edited:
From what I have seen from Weddle he isn't yet a body on body player so that is what surprised me with the move plus Weddle has at times been caught behind and hasn't showed a natural instinct to spoil. It was an enormous stretch for mine by the coaches.

With Impey out I had hopes the instruction to Weddle was break your your in game record for running bounces to make up for no Impey. Instead we plonked Harry there to move it out by foot. Credit to Harry he was good and handled it with 1 touch in the first half when none else could. Thought the balance was out of whack.
I don't understand the logic by the coaches. We got Weddle in to play with run and carry. When he does that he looks the goods. Then we make him match up on key backs because Scrimshaw can't do the job. So we lose Weddle's spark so that Scrimshaw can slow down play.

Really was a rough day at the footy today for me TBH.

Got caught in a hellish traffic jam over the west gate bridge on the way to the game.

Took ages to find a seat at the ground as we rocked up late due to the traffic.

Had to sit through a cod ordinary game by the Hawks

Then to top it all off I bought quite possibly the worst hotdog I have ever had from a dodgy food van out front of the arts centre on my way home

That last decision could be one I regret in the coming days 🤢

Remove this Banner Ad

Back