Autopsy Round 19, 2023 : Hawks can’t get it done against Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

I left the ground with a few minutes to go because one of the Richmond supporters I went to the game with yelled out, in all
seriousness,"The only reason Hawks got a threepeat was because of the umpire favouritism".

I'd had enough of the Richmond idiots in the crowd and didn't want to be arrested for chokeslamming my "friend"! I was arrested
many years ago for retaliating to an unprovoked punch from a Carlton supporter. That will teach me for standing behind the Richmond members
area.

I ended up quite pleasantly drunk at The Royal with some reasonable Tiger friends. You live and learn. Except I don't think I'm learning!

The Royal!!! what an establishment 😂

Yep tigers supporters are the absolute worst for their victim complex. They should be grateful the competition was so slow in picking up their under 8s game plan, that they came up against the crows under the tutelage of collective minds, GWS in their first GF and the perennial chokers the cats who should have been so far in front at half time of that exhibition GF. And they carried Jason Castagna to 2* flags doing it. What a bunch of low IQ whingers.

Me too.

Dawson, Neale / Andrews, Cripps, Moore, Merrett, Pearce, Dangerfield, Witts/Miller, Greene, Gawn, Simpkin/McDonald, Jonas (if not playing SANFL) / Wines, Nank/ Grimes, Steele, Parker/Mills/Rampe, Bontempelli, Shuey…..

None of these blokes react to umpires the way Sicily does. They just get on with the game.

It’s costing us and he needs to grow up.
You have got to be kidding me. Dangerfield? Gawn? WTAF? Most of these guys go off at the umpires constantly. Gawn is a serial offender. And Dangerfield. He goes off at the umpires before the game.

They aren't Sicily though. So no reaction from them.

Having revisited the game after a bit of time to digest, I'm not overly negative about it. I do think there was a bit of a failure at the selection table which caused us to lose this, but ultimately Richmond were more experienced and had a lot more to play for.

Long is not the type of player you need as a sub. I feel like having DGB in the side came with the implication he would be subbed off at some stage, and that meant we needed to have Long as the sub - as he can fill midfield roles, or up forward with his height. Longy tries hard but he is 100% not what is needed against Richmond, we would have benefit far more from someone like Mackenzie with a bit more zip.

You could see when Richmond made the move with their sub, the difference it made injecting that pace and energy into the game.

Having revisited the game after a bit of time to digest, I'm not overly negative about it. I do think there was a bit of a failure at the selection table which caused us to lose this, but ultimately Richmond were more experienced and had a lot more to play for.

Long is not the type of player you need as a sub. I feel like having DGB in the side came with the implication he would be subbed off at some stage, and that meant we needed to have Long as the sub - as he can fill midfield roles, or up forward with his height. Longy tries hard but he is 100% not what is needed against Richmond, we would have benefit far more from someone like Mackenzie with a bit more zip.

You could see when Richmond made the move with their sub, the difference it made injecting that pace and energy into the game.
Frenchy isn't overly quick with his pace, but he obviously has great skills and his time will come. I agree with Ned Long not being the ideal sub, but he realistically was the cover for a forward, a mid or even a ruck, as he can play that taller role if need be.

If we were picking a sub based on speed and ability to impact the game, similar to Richmond's sub, Bailey MacDonald is the one who has a ton of pace and energy. We are still very one dimensional pace wise with most of the players we have who are around the mark at BH - Stephens, Long, Frenchy etc.

Frenchy isn't overly quick with his pace, but he obviously has great skills and his time will come. I agree with Ned Long not being the ideal sub, but he realistically was the cover for a forward, a mid or even a ruck, as he can play that taller role if need be.

If we were picking a sub based on speed and ability to impact the game, similar to Richmond's sub, Bailey MacDonald is the one who has a ton of pace and energy. We are still very one dimensional pace wise with most of the players we have who are around the mark at BH - Stephens, Long, Frenchy etc.
Frenchy is a LOT quicker than Long, Long would genuinely be one of the slowest players on an AFL list. I get that he's versatile and that's why we went down that path but it did shoot us in the foot given the close game. He'd also find it easier to get involved than someone like MacDonald.

I wouldn't put him in the same category speed wise as Stephens and Long, moves far quicker than he looks even though he isn't a MacDonald or Seamus Mitchell style speedster.

Frenchy is a LOT quicker than Long, Long would genuinely be one of the slowest players on an AFL list. I get that he's versatile and that's why we went down that path but it did shoot us in the foot given the close game. He'd also find it easier to get involved than someone like MacDonald.

I wouldn't put him in the same category speed wise as Stephens and Long, moves far quicker than he looks even though he isn't a MacDonald or Seamus Mitchell style speedster.
Not doubting that he is quicker than Long - Long just happened to be the best option on the weekend due to team selection, which ultimately comes down to a second tall that can play some ruck as well, which we don't have currently.

The issue with the sub ultimately comes back to team selection and until we get that right, the sub role is always going to be a challenge.

Richmond supporters should be reminded of the massive leg up the AFL give their cash cows during their "dynasty".
We would of had a 5 peat if we'd got the fixtures they did.
But oh no...the whole world is against them.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The Richmond board is hands down the most amusing out there. There seems to be a group of them who genuinely believe that the stand rule was brought in to nullify them specifically and that somehow the gambling industry and the AFL are in cahoots to stop the Tigers winning! Why the AFL wants to stop a club with one if the highest memberships winning they don’t say. They also don’t seem to be concerned that their mighty team has not been able to successfully adapt to one simple rule change!

Our board is not without dummy spits and wild complaints but generally I think the people here are actually pretty good at not running to poor umpiring every time we lose.

I left the ground with a few minutes to go because one of the Richmond supporters I went to the game with yelled out, in all
seriousness,"The only reason Hawks got a threepeat was because of the umpire favouritism".

I'd had enough of the Richmond idiots in the crowd and didn't want to be arrested for chokeslamming my "friend"! I was arrested
many years ago for retaliating to an unprovoked punch from a Carlton supporter. That will teach me for standing behind the Richmond members
area.

I ended up quite pleasantly drunk at The Royal with some reasonable Tiger friends. You live and learn. Except I don't think I'm learning!

Show them this!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back