Autopsy Round 15, 2023 : Hawks get burned by Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Somebody asked Mitch Lewis at training how many goals he would be happy with.

He said 5

I didn’t realise he was talking about the whole team ffs.

Really surprised to be honest. The boys were in such good spirits and played like they trained in the first quarter. It was still 23 degrees when the game started so I thought we def needed to start well. No idea what happened after quarter time though.

First time watching a game there, was really surprised by how many Hawk supporters were there. Well done! It was at least 60/40 their way if not 50/50. Most of their supporters looked like older ex-pats who jumped on board. Can’t see it working long term, hope I’m wrong because stadium is good.

This is the pic of the bar at half time
That is a rough drinks menu

He said 5

Really surprised to be honest. The boys were in such good spirits and played like they trained in the first quarter. It was still 23 degrees when the game started so I thought we def needed to start well. No idea what happened after quarter time though.

First time watching a game there, was really surprised by how many Hawk supporters were there. Well done! It was at least 60/40 their way if not 50/50. Most of their supporters looked like older ex-pats who jumped on board. Can’t see it working long term, hope I’m wrong because stadium is good.

Think GCS and GWS are bad ideas period.

Who is the 3rd best mid in the draft? Preferably someone that can go forward and kick a goal or two would be nice.

He said 5

Ginger Beer $13…. They must be paying Rowell with that.

The biggest thing we still struggle with is when the opposition is quick. We just don’t have the foot speed to match.
Shocked at this post. One thing we aren’t is slow. However, we definitely need an extra runner instead of playing 2 rucks and Kosi. I agree our midfielder looks a little one paced at times when Day is not playing there. I thought our lack of effort was terribly disappointing the further and further we fell behind.

Shocked at this post. One thing we aren’t is slow. However, we definitely need an extra runner instead of playing 2 rucks and Kosi. I agree our midfielder looks a little one paced at times when Day is not playing there. I thought our lack of effort was terribly disappointing the further and further we fell behind.
We have a couple of speedy forwards and defenders.

In the middle we are really slow though. That’s where teams can really hurt us.

We can play a strong contested game in the middle. But once the ball gets to the outside we have no way of slowing the opposition down.

We should win or at least have a much better showing against Carlton. In part because of their lack of leg speed.

I found that the most frustrating game of the year becuase we just could not string together more than 2-3 possessions at a time.

As soon as the sun went down and it got a bit dewy we just forgot how to kick the ball. And after a few misses and a few broken chains of play we went back into our shells and played hesitant survival mode footy.

Their midfield is really hard in the clearances. We looked a bit shell shocked at times and after a good first quarter Nash was pretty much unsighted offensively and defensively.

We just couldn't take a mark.
Players started looking for free kicks instead of second efforts or next possesion.
We fumbled and miskicked in every play.

The Suns weren't that good to be honest. And got a run of goals at the end that flattered them - but we were so far off our best.

I thought Day was really good. The only one who played with any assertiveness or the belief that he would win a contest or take a grab.
I can't remember Frosty having any disaster moments which is pretty good actually.
Scrimshaw was really good - but was under siege all night.

Breust and Lewis were great with the few chances they had.

I don't remember the same posters questioning the Meek/Reeves combo when we were winning.

Both babies in terms of ruck experience against one of the comps most experienced rucks.
I have mentioned the ruck combo over the last few weeks so it’s a not a one off for me, how many goals have Meek and Reeves kick this season, it’s not working. If they looking to the the future as a ruck combo why isn’t DGB getting a game as a key defensive combo with Blanck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As soon as the sun went down and it got a bit dewy we just forgot how to kick the ball. And after a few misses and a few broken chains of play we went back into our shells and played hesitant survival mode footy.

Their midfield is really hard in the clearances. We looked a bit shell shocked at times and after a good first quarter Nash was pretty much unsighted offensively and defensively.

We just couldn't take a mark.

I
Absolutely a non factor apparently (sarcasm)

Did it explain the entire score? No. Nobody’s suggested that.
But it obviously didn’t help. Collingwoods game would go down several notches in a dewy Qld evening.

The drop off in the 2nd half was bitterly disappointing. 4 points down early in the 3rd and then get out scored 10.9 to a solitary goal was unacceptable. Our record playing interstate teams on their home deck is scarily bad. Not having our captain in the last 2 of those has been a major factor.

Very disappointing day. Just when you think we are starting to make some inroads with a few steps forward, we take a giant stride backwards and has you wondering if we are on the right track. I mean, this is a side which was thrashed by Carlton by 10 goals last week!!!! Not that it has anything to do with the way we play, but I really don't like those jumpers.

Hate Reaction GIF

Will be very interested in the Suns v Pies game at the same venue next week.
I think we should realise how much the conditions sap the energy from teams playing up there. Hawks were dead in the legs by quarter time.

Very disappointing day. Just when you think we are starting to make some inroads with a few steps forward, we take a giant stride backwards and has you wondering if we are on the right track. I mean, this is a side which was thrashed by Carlton by 10 goals last week!!!! Not that it has anything to do with the way we play, but I really don't like those jumpers.
Brisbane and Gold Coast at home grow a leg. Tipped them to win by 5 goals today and would have tipped us by 5 goals if it was in Tassie or at the G. Tipped us to beat the Lions 2 weeks ago and thought today’s result was very predictable especially after the Sicily BS suspension.

Is be very disappointed if we lose to bloos next week. Like to see a strong response after really doing nothing for three and a half qtrs!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back