Autopsy Round 15, 2023 : Hawks get burned by Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Importance of Sicily can't be understated

Scrimshaw plays better when CJ is in the team.

Still lack X factor but for the moment that's ok

Watson + one of Duursma or Caddy + McCabe and another year into this lot and we'll be laughing ready for free agency proper
How on earth do we get Watson + Caddy/Durrsma? Gonna need another top 4 pick somehow

A very hard game to watch live. I took someone for their first afl game experience and it was hard game to sell! The game was played with little spirit and low skill level with little noise 🥴

• Take W.Day out of our midfield and it become fairly average. Worps,Nuke,Nash, Moore, are all solid players but not that star factor / footy I.Q that is W.Day.
  • Meek, Kosi are clueless at times to find the space and time to lead or present down the line. They often struggle to have impact on the contest or break even in it!
  • We Lacked leadership across the ground!
  • The Sicily factor, Day Covers the back, Moore plays in the middle.Which sounds great but in the end our Mids / Forward line both played like rubbish and got comprised!
r/publicfreakout

We still need alot more talent on our list before going to FA.

Once Day went into the backline we were screwed.

Looked like Lewis was double teamed tonight but didn’t matter as we couldn’t get the ball to him anyway by hand and foot. Also why did he spend so long on the bench in the 3rd quarter did he hurt himself.

The whole side skills were worse I seen since AC days.
Nah hit free agencey for the right player ( costs us zero picks) and draft hard in 2023.

Hard watch and reality check. It’s going to be this way for at least next year as well. There was so little energy today after the first 15 minutes it was just terribly uninteresting. Back line did well and Worpel, not much else. I think Will Day especially for someone who is meant to have high footy IQ had a contender for dumbest decision on a football field though so that’s something. Isolate Sam Butler 1 out against Mac Andrew and kick it on his head. Wow.

Bit of a coming down to earth for a young side. Was a bit like the Port game at its worst.

We looked good early.

They adjusted and outworked us from there across the board.

Always going to happen with this young team.

Will be very interested in the Suns v Pies game at the same venue next week.
I think we should realise how much the conditions sap the energy from teams playing up there. Hawks were dead in the legs by quarter time.
Two games we've played in warm conditions and we have looked zapped and lethargic for big portions of the game. Port Adelaide for a half and yesterday for 3 quarters.

I think give the suns some credit - thought they were impressive. We were winning the midfield battle early but ended up losing the game at the source and the spread.

Skipper out was a big loss but at least for a while we managed to deal with the aerial threat ok in his absence.

I couldnt watch the last quarter - I normally would go back to it but reckon I’ll give it a miss this time.

Come on - don't play the man.
But that's all posters here do, especially with the players.

Best example was the Gold Coast's Mac Andrew last week. A 19 year old who had a bad game last week and on here people were saying he's hopeless and can't play
....and then when he plays us he years us a new a-hole. Already there are people lining up to pot players
It doesn't help

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't totally suprised .

Suns are a totally different side up North and have beaten better teams then we currently are up there .
Sicily is a huge out, we simple do not have the depth yet to cover that . We have a few games to hopefully get better at that .

Fairly typical overeaction to a loss ( or even wins ) in here .

Tough watch yes , disappointing yes but all part of having a very young side out there.
We will learn plenty in the review .

In my opinion we have made significant progress this year but we still have a long way to go before we achieve the consistency that is required for serious finals contention. Coming off a bye and travelling interstate was always going to be a challenge for a team at this point of their development and so it proved to be.
I have always felt it will take until 2025 before we will have the experience and talent to consistently produce a finals standard of football.
Yesterday was disappointing but we are on the right trajectory and will get there.
I would also note that whilst the Suns have yet to achieve, they have some pretty talented players, particularly midfielders and tall forwards.

The killer wasnt the dropped marks. It was in the last where lukocious was side by side with him and jogged for a lead as scrim walked
TBF the ball was coming in there over and over. Lukocious is near A Grade - our bloke is a trundler who put in all day but missed having Sic at his side.

Ned is a baby as far as ruck terms, I hope he dominates one day, but I can’t believe how easy a bloke that is seven foot can be pushed off the ball so easily.
He was man handled more than once by Casboult ffs.
We just didn’t work hard enough so many times we took possession and had no one running forward to give an option.
Mitch Lewis would work up the ground take the ball on the wing and miss a target or ignore Kosi.
Was a s**t show.
I can't work out why he never jumps and tries to out body at every ruck contest, does my head in

Gold Coast have a great record at home and we travel poorly as of late.

It was always on the cards.

Post bye slump is real. We looked slow and lethargic. Our skills even worse. Fumbly, missing regulation kicks, dropping uncontested marks etc.

Heads were clearly not in the game.

One positive from the game: Sam saying 'We've let people down'.
To me as a casual, it demonstrates that internally standards and expectations are high, even though some leniency will be given if progress is being made.

I think the fact we have 3 ~ 10 gamers playing in defence atm makes it important to have someone like Sic around them. As they get more games the reliance on Sic will start to dissipate. That back line gains enormous confidence knowing Sic is there. Similar to the Hodge affect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back