Preview Round 16, 2023 : Hawks v Blues, 1:10pm Sunday 2nd July, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Called it earlier in the week that this might be a good time to bring the chad in. If he's fit, he deserves a call up to the senior side to show that he can still produce some good form. Let's see how much he wants it. Good call by the MC.
Agree. With his career on the line the club at some point has to give him the opportunity to show if we offer him a new contract. He's soon to turn 30 which isn't that old but soft tissue injuries have dogged him for a few years. Maybe we roll the dice and give him time in the midfield as he's shown he can impact when in there. Test out the hammies and calves and if holds up, great. If not .....

CMac is a watch for me this week.
I only watched the first quarter and a bit before I checked final scores and stopped watching last week.
But CMac was fumbly and generally poor from what I saw. Looking fwd to him bouncing back into form this week.
Wingers has a good record for us vs the blues, so hoping (not expecting) he does some dmg for us

Wingard should bring some voice and leadership to the team. Something we seemed to lack last week.

Hope he's changed it around. He has been big on throwing the arms wide, and whingeing, when a kick doesn't hit him on the chest. Really don't like that.

Hopefully he's offering better leadership. Everyone deserves a chance to turn it around. He's only 29 and would be handy if the body can hold together.

With brockman unavailable we could only bring in Chad or Ned Long. Neither earned it but they were the options. We don’t have any small forwards to bring in with O’Sullivan injured and Bennetts a Cat B rookie. Here’s hoping for a Chadnaissance!!!
O’Sullivan has trained today and is available for selection.
But probably needs game time in BH.

It's amusing that many of the posters disliking criticism of the inclusion of Wingard are the same ones who were most vociferous in attacking posts in favour of tanking.

What does Stephens have to do in order to get a game?
His issue is simply being in a queue and that we have had so few injuries. Hold faith he’s got attributes once he gets some game and body consistency (like Day needed) he will be in our best 22. This period of time is him getting belief but also working on a second role which will be crucial to him making it; positional flexibility seemingly a key plank in Sams long term vision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does Stephens have to do in order to get a game?

Probably an injury to Nash or Worpel.

In hindsight, it might not have been the best move for him and club. Still early but.

I think Hustwaite will be ahead of him needing opportunity next year.

And you'd also think we'd want to get Mackenzie more minutes as a mid. CMAC possibly too.

Ward will need minutes in the middle and not just on a wing for his development also.

Personally I'd love to see Brocky roll through there at times too.

I think Stephens is just depth really. And we've hardly had any injuries so far.

Last edited:
Stiff for Cooper.

He came to us for more midfield opportunities at senior level, but likely would have played 10 games+ right now had he stayed at Geelong with their injuries in that area of the ground.

It's amusing that many of the posters disliking criticism of the inclusion of Wingard are the same ones who were most vociferous in attacking posts in favour of tanking.
Eh?

What's the connection? Why shouldn't Hawthorn supporters do both those things?

Last edited:
He is trying to suggest playing wingard is tanking.
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

His issue is simply being in a queue and that we have had so few injuries. Hold faith he’s got attributes once he gets some game and body consistency (like Day needed) he will be in our best 22. This period of time is him getting belief but also working on a second role which will be crucial to him making it; positional flexibility seemingly a key plank in Sams long term vision.
Spot on. And only changes to side are fwds and defs.

The mids charged with holding down the AFL side are all performing and have not had injuries. Granted they have had collective down parts of games but by and large they are doing what Hale wants. Hence no opening for Stephens but Hale notes he is waiting in the wings.

IMG_0806.jpeg
Impey moving well in the Captain’s run this morning.
If I have to guess, then he will play tomorrow.
There are 24 players on the field at the moment which includes the named 22 and Finn and Ramma (I can’t see Bramble or Frenchie).

I feel we should win this game but just depends on the Hawks that show up - if last weeks hawks turn up going to be a long afternoon but if the Hawks that beat the Lions etc turn up should then be a pleasant arvo

will be going and look forward to the Nash v Cripps battle - sure Sam will send him to Cripps as he has the size and strength to go with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back