Preview Round 18, 2023 : North v Hawthorn, 1:10pm Sunday 16th July, Marvel stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started when he was 5.

He is now 24.

He has played football as a ruck all the way through juniors, at St Kevin’s, at Oakleigh, for Vic Metro, etc. He isn’t Conor Nash and trying to learn a new game from scratch.

Are you suggesting no one learns anything about how to be a ruck until they are 18/19 and end up getting drafted into the AFL?

If so, that’s a rather novel suggestion.
Quick question Hedgey - where was Ned playing at 5? From memory his first game was with the Aireys Eels under 12s when he was 10. I could be wrong. My memory is a bit hazy. I'm sure you can correct me.

Was a bit shattered to see DGB as an out.

Quite happy to see him listed as sub, makes a lot of sense really.
(Unsure if just copium)
  • He can come on and stretch an undermanned defence.
  • Can go beserk for 1-2 quarters without fear of tiring.
  • Can play either end of the ground if necessary.

I think it’s one the oddest things I’ve read on this board in all my years.

I look forward to the draft profiles of under 18’s declaring that they have 14 years of footballing experience.
He may have gone a tad too far back but NGA academy candidates start getting monitered very early. U13s there is a big radar out on junior leagues with heaps of knowledge already about the players coming thru. They are listed from entry level seasons eg U8s on a watch list. By U15s it's brutal with gun players getting cut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a bit shattered to see DGB as an out.

Quite happy to see him listed as sub, makes a lot of sense really.
(Unsure if just copium)
  • He can come on and stretch an undermanned defence.
  • Can go beserk for 1-2 quarters without fear of tiring.
  • Can play either end of the ground if necessary.
Totally agree. Would hate to see him get dropped after just 1 game where we're about to play the 2nd weakest team in the comp. This way I hope he gets at least a half and if he can pluck a few marks and kick a couple of goals it might really help his confidence.

The pick 6 curse. Dowler, Thorpe, DGB. I haven't given up on DGB. Maybe Sam has

GOD. Thorp - the Pick 6 legend.

DGB is already doing better than both those picks at least - has played more AFL games than both of them combined

Not hard when Thorpe had only 2 games in total :straining:

OR MAYBE SAM IS JUST BUTTERING HIM UP FOR SLAUGHTER AMIRITE GUISE:

GIL: "PICK 6 - HAWTHORN"

HAWTHORN:

Nervous Laugh GIF

Why would Sam bother playing DGB as sub if he wanted to get rid of him? Doesn’t add to his value, if he’s no good then he weakens the side, etc. My guess is that it’s just as it seems. He’s on the fringe, but can’t hold down best 22.

Really liked Sam’s commentary around DGB’s development at his presser. Convinced he will still be a player and will be a backman, it’s just finding the right path to get him there.
Been baffled by team selection last couple of weeks, but the team is clearly being picked for long term development.
You have to back the coaches in 100% or not at all, and I’m backing Sammy, even if I am scratching my head most weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back