Game Day Round 18, 2023 : North v Hawthorn, 1:10pm, Marvel stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've dropped 2 defenders (Blanck and Mitchell) but only Sicily is in, I'm assuming Will Day is going to play back?

You've dropped 2 defenders (Blanck and Mitchell) but only Sicily is in, I'm assuming Will Day is going to play back?
Neither's been dropped.
Blank out through concussion protocols. Mitchell being managed.

As already stated, neither were dropped (omitted): 1 was on concussion protocol and the other managed and will be best 22 next week.

I’d guess Srcim will play down back from the first bounce.

For mine, Nash will go to LDU (who is our biggest worry), Day may start down back but will play through the middle with Warps and Neuc rotating. Maginness is a stopper the-likes-of-which few can handle in the AFL... and I’d put him on Sheezel. If not Sheezel then Thomas.

Ward against Ford will be fun to watch… there is no chance Ford will keep up with Ward.
Amon against Scott… is no less a mis-match.

Max Ramsden is going to be the most intriguing player on the field. He could be too much to handle or he may not yet be ready to play the game we know he can. This could be his break out game… or another learning experience. I love that he is playing this game against a developing team. He will know from the outset that he is no different to many of the players from the opposition: both Teams have many young players. That knowledge will hopefully give him the freedom to play without fear. And as Herbert would say: Fear is the mind killer.

George Wardlaw will likely have his best game to date against us. The guy is quality and will not get much attention from his likely opponent in Worpel. Worps, you better be more effective.

As always the effort and pressure applied by each team will be the defining factor in the outcome.

Larkey is a threat, and it would be good to have Blank to stand him, but I see the Hawks dominate the middle restricting his supply.

For mine, the Hawks will win this game handsomely.

Last edited:
As already stated, neither were dropped (omitted): 1 on concussion protocol and the other managed and will be best 22 next week.

I’d guess Srcim will play down back from the first bounce.

For mine, Nash will go to LDU (who is our biggest worry), Day may start down back but will play through the middle with Warps and Neuc rotating. Maginness is a stopper the likes of which few can handle in the AFL... and I’d put him on Sheezel. If not Sheezel then Thomas.

Ward against Ford will be fun to watch… there is no chance Ford will keep up with Ward.
Amon against Scott… is no less a mis-match.

Max Ramsden is going to be the most intriguing player on the field. He could be too much to handle or he may not yet ready. This could be his break out game… or another learning experience. I love that he is playing.

George Wardlaw will likely have his best game to date. The guy is quality and will not get much attention.

As always the effort and pressure applied by each team will be the defining factor in the outcome.

Larkey is a threat, and it would be good to have Blank to stand him, but I see the Hawks dominate the middle restricting his supply.

For mine, the Hawks will win this game handsomely.
With the team currently named 1 out of Day, Maginness and Amon has to play back as the 7th defender. Maginness seems the most likely but if you want to give Ward a full run as an inside mid then Day could play back.

With the team currently named 1 out of Day, Maginness and Amon has to play back as the 7th defender. Maginness seems the most likely but if you want to give Ward a full run as an inside mid then Day could play back.
Maginness is an exceptional stopper. The disruption he can do to an opposites teams structure is unquantifiable.

But I see your point. We are one defender short if Will Day is to be used in the midfield.

My best reply is: Scrim will be the 7th defender and Day will be released into the midfield with one of Ward, Amon or, depending on how his blanket job is going, Maginness helping out down back.

Further comment: Not having Bramble, Mitchell, CJ, Harry or Bailey in the team seems to push Day into the backline.
If Ward is asked to be a defender, then great... let’s see if he can defend well….and then attack from the backline.
The more tools Ward has in his kit bag the better. And this is the year to find out.

So… I guess I would have Ward as the rotating defender with Will Day.

Things I'd love to see today.

Lewis to bounce back with 5+.
Newk to destroy them in the guts, 30 and 2 please.
Weddle to look a superior athlete than anyone on the field and toy with fully grown men .
Sicily to really give North fans the shits.

Things I'd love to see today.

Lewis to bounce back with 5+.
Newk to destroy them in the guts, 30 and 2 please.
Weddle to look a superior athlete than anyone on the field and toy with fully grown men .
Sicily to really give North fans the shits.
Plus: Sicily to not get reported

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early game at the s**t hole and not a replacement game for members. Reckon I’ll be watching at home this week.
I'm not going for the first time in close to 20 years.
1.5 hr drive (similar by train), $30 for parking, tickets, food, etc.
It'd not worth it any more

There seems to be a lot of confidence around that Finn goes to LDU but I feel like it's been a long time since the Hawks have used Finn as a tagger in the midfield (meaning at clearance, Josh Kelly has predominantly played wing). Isn't Mitchell more intent on the development of the core guys like Day, Worpel, Nash, Jai?

There seems to be a lot of confidence around that Finn goes to LDU but I feel like it's been a long time since the Hawks have used Finn as a tagger in the midfield (meaning at clearance, Josh Kelly has predominantly played wing). Isn't Mitchell more intent on the development of the core guys like Day, Worpel, Nash, Jai?
Yeah Finn won’t tag inside the centre square, it will be a winger or maybe a defensive forward role on Sheezel.

Not completely confident today, with a few players under injury clouds it might be a scrap. Hopefully see cmac further up the ground again, we have looked our best when he is having impact around the ball.

Hawks by 17

He can start fwd then come into the mid from there. He's tagged heaps of inside mids in his time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back