Preview Round 20, 2023 : Hawthorn v Saints, Marvel Stadium 1:10pm 30th July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think ppl need to get with the idea of shifting players. Bramble has played more inside mid and wing at VFL recently. The way we want to play heavily influences the players picked. Players need to adapt.

There is absolutely no chance Bramble plays an inside midfielder role for us at senior level. I don't mean to come off as insulting, but he's simply far too soft to play that role.
Agreed. Expect him to play wing and hopefully run hard and fast…..both ways.

He’s talented with the ball in hand. Not so great at other parts of the game. I think he will be traded
He is also a very good intercept mark. Probably second best in the club behind Sicily.

Let's not kid ourselves, he has played some very high quality footy for the Hawks over the last four years.

For some reason though I reckon Sam has stamped his papers which I personally find disappointing but it is what it is at this stage.

Me too. I've seen the light and am a recent convert.
Comedy Central No GIF by Alternatino with Arturo Castro

I don't understand people's angst with the Scrimshaw dropping. Bramble is clearly coming in to help with the loss of Amon.

Scrim to me is quite overrated on this board. He is a great intercept mark and an excellent kick. However he isn't great defensively and my biggest pet peeve with Scrim is he just slows our play down so much. At times he takes forever to make a decision and always takes the safe options. Rarely opens up play with his kicking skills and doesn't provide any run at all. Loves to stop and slow down after marking.

Compare him to Sicily who continuously takes risks and picks off ridiculous kicks that opens up the play for us. I rarely ever see Scrim do this nor have any urgency in his play.

Everyone sees things differently I guess but to me he is the most frustrating player on our list. I just wish he would take that next step.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

I don't understand people's angst with the Scrimshaw dropping. Bramble is clearly coming in to help with the loss of Amon.

Scrim to me is quite overrated on this board. He is a great intercept mark and an excellent kick. However he isn't great defensively and my biggest pet peeve with Scrim is he just slows our play down so much. At times he takes forever to make a decision and always takes the safe options. Rarely opens up play with his kicking skills and doesn't provide any run at all. Loves to stop and slow down after marking.

Compare him to Sicily who continuously takes risks and picks off ridiculous kicks that opens up the play for us. I rarely ever see Scrim do this nor have any urgency in his play.

Everyone sees things differently I guess but to me he is the most frustrating player on our list. I just wish he would take that next step.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
Totally agree. He invites the pressure, which creates turnovers.

Blanck not playing for Box Hill so is either the sub (surely not), the spare (the spare is usually named for BH) or injured.
When the Box Hill team left the track early yesterday, Scrimma, Long and Greene left the track, while Blanck stayed out on the park. He's definitely not injured as he completed the main training session and the match sim.
Very good chance he's in our 23

This will sound harsh but its a fantastic sign for the side and club that a talent like Scrimshaw isnt a walk up start and is struggling to hold place in the team.

We have been moaning about the lack of talent on our list and this shows over the past 24 months or so we have started to improve this . Adding talented players who also have other attributes and capabilities to add to make a more complete side .
Its about developing standards and if you dont play to that your spot is at risk .

We need to ruthless and if talent alone isnt enough thats a great thing .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scrimshaw has looked dangerous in his cameos forward. His marking ability would make him a tough assignment for the third tall defender. With Serong going back there is no obvious third forward for the long haul. I would like to see Scrimshaw spending some serious time in the front half if he is going to play for Box Hill.

Bramble for Scrimshaw is a joke
LOL it's Bramble for Amon.

edit: already pointed out by a number of people. But I agree, if it WERE Bramble for Scrim, that would be a joke.

Docklands surface will already have had a fair bit of traffic on it this weekend, with Storm v Parramatta last night and Essendon v Sydney tonight. Wouldn’t be surprised to see an injury or three.

He is also a very good intercept mark. Probably second best in the club behind Sicily.

Let's not kid ourselves, he has played some very high quality footy for the Hawks over the last four years.

For some reason though I reckon Sam has stamped his papers which I personally find disappointing but it is what it is at this stage.
My take is that he is the polar opposite of Sam in terms of preparation and intensity. I agree he has talent and in the right side and system can add value as a ‘nice’ player.

I think he will be traded and do fine elsewhere. But I’m confident he will never be the player his natural abilities with ball in hand suggested he might be able to become when he was drafted and even early days at Hawthorn. He just doesn’t want it enough.

For those contemplating attending the game on the weekend, here's where GA is.
View attachment 1758305
Thx for that. I walked around the oval at the North game not knowing they were shut. Will be interesting as to how the AFL interpret the low attendance at Marvel for us compared to good turn outs at the G.

Scrimshaw has looked dangerous in his cameos forward. His marking ability would make him a tough assignment for the third tall defender. With Serong going back there is no obvious third forward for the long haul. I would like to see Scrimshaw spending some serious time in the front half if he is going to play for Box Hill.
Strange to me that they would give DGB a decent run in the seniors as a third forward when TBH he looked like he was totally out of his depth down there.

But they haven't given Scrimmers a decent opportunity at making that third tall spot his own even though he has looked pretty good in his (very) limited cameos up forward and as you say he has a lovely set of hands on him.

At the moment I'd be very surprised if he's still on the list next year. I reckon Clarko would be making inquires as he is a classic Clarko type of player (great kick, good decision maker, etc).

I didn't mind losing Shiels and Howe last year to Norf but losing Jack would hurt TBH.

This will sound harsh but its a fantastic sign for the side and club that a talent like Scrimshaw isnt a walk up start and is struggling to hold place in the team.

We have been moaning about the lack of talent on our list and this shows over the past 24 months or so we have started to improve this . Adding talented players who also have other attributes and capabilities to add to make a more complete side .
Its about developing standards and if you dont play to that your spot is at risk .

We need to ruthless and if talent alone isnt enough thats a great thing .

I love Scrimshaw's attributes (marking, kicking , but that is a brilliant point.

The only thing this policy can do is to drive guys to perform even better. Definitely a trait of all successful team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back