Preview Round 18, 2023 : North v Hawthorn, 1:10pm Sunday 16th July, Marvel stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must win game obviously.

The club was on record saying we expected to be playing better in the back half of the year.

Post bye... we've been belted twice (by two teams out of the eight) and threw away a win last week.

Our centre clearances this year have been the best that I can recall, even during premiership years. A lot has to do with the hit-out expertise of Reeves.
Mitchell even says as much, and in the week prior where people were potting Reeves for not taking advantage of Carlton’s lack of rucks our coach highlighted that it was the mids getting pushed out of the way and not connecting with Reeves that was the area of concern that they wanted to rectify heading into the Giants game.

Definitely deserves a run after watching guys like Morrison, Wingard and Finn just walk into the team after not performing for Box Hill?
Morrison had a couple of games with 30 touches, how is that not performing?

The same Kieran Briggs whom is the third highest rated player in the league across the games he's played? Sure. You can call him green all you want but Briggs has been very good since he's come in to their senior side and they've won 5/7 with him against some VERY solid ruck outfits in North, Melbourne and Freo, he didn't just have an out of the box game against us.

That said, I didn't think Reeves' game was bad at all - certainly not in the second half where he really helped to drag us back in by giving our mids such good service. Reeves contesting kept Briggs to his worst hit out to advantage rate for the season by a fair margin, with Reeves more than doubling his hit outs to advantage 5 - 12.

There were far more genuine reasons to be critical of Reeves earlier in the season, I feel. His game on the weekend was far from his worst and against in an extremely in-form opponent.
His first half was crap, but Reeves redeemed himself in the second half. He would have got a rocket at half time for his efforts. He stays we will bring in a second Ruck because Frosty will play back

Definitely deserves a run after watching guys like Morrison, Wingard and Finn just walk into the team after not performing for Box Hill?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why do you think they were not performing? The player by player review for finn had been very complimentary and morrison had put in a couple of good games prior to being selected. And chad had demonstrated his fitness and played well since coming back.

Staggered they didn't pick Goldy. Normally kills us.
tank GIF

I don't think Meek has shown too much more as an all rounder has he?

2 more possessions a game, 1 more mark, 1 more tackle. They're pretty much on par everywhere else except for the hit out statistics where Reeves is clearly better.
We don't know that is the point. We need to run him as no.1 ruck for a sustained period and see if his possession numbers go up. Clearly he is far more mobile than Reeves so for mine should be given first crack whilst Reeves learns to do the same at Box Hill.

It's a good point re centre square being a big advantage for us and we risk losing that. But we may find that we can adjust to less dominant rucks so we don't lose the full advantage plus we gain more around the ground.

The centre square is only one part of the equation and a relatively small one.

We don't know that is the point. We need to run him as no.1 ruck for a sustained period and see if his possession numbers go up. Clearly he is far more mobile than Reeves so for mine should be given first crack whilst Reeves learns to do the same at Box Hill.

It's a good point re centre square being a big advantage for us and we risk losing that. But we may find that we can adjust to less dominant rucks so we don't lose the full advantage plus we gain more around the ground.

The centre square is only one part of the equation and a relatively small one.
I think you said it all with the last point. It's one part of the equation, I don't necessarily agree it's relatively small but you are right in general. It's one part and it's a part that is working fine overall. Focus is clearly best shifted elsewhere.

The best thing we can do for the team is have the way we want to play, find continuity in that and if Reeves is doing what is asked and what is expected then we leave him in. If we pivot back to a different style of ruck in the #1 position we could potentially lose a lot of what has been gained by an already young and inconsistent midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some notes from training today:
Strong 1 on 1 contested ball drill early.
Full match sim
  • Ramsden in jumpers forward (& centre bounces) with Lewis & Greene.
  • Reeves (jumper) ruck vs. Meek bibs.
  • DGB forward & Morrison back for bibs.
  • Impey & Maginness jumpers.
  • Back 6 jumpers - GWS game same with Sic for Blanck.
  • Some willing moments b/w CJ & Newcombe.

Last edited:
There are some rumors that Sicily (ankle) and Day (soreness) will be missing from the north clash. Did both train fully? Any signs they are not 100%?

Worpel got treated for lower back stiffness - after drills he did running with Amon & no match sim - both left ground early.
Lewis left calf treatment - was in match sim later on.
JOS left the drills (groin?).
Full match sim

How did Seamus Mitchell look, mate?

Noticed he was on light duties earlier in the week and named on the extended bench.

Worpel got treated for lower back stiffness - after drills he did running with Amon & no match sim - both left ground early.
Lewis left calf treatment - was in match sim later on.
JOS left the drills (groin?).
Full match sim
Agreed will all what Newmo said.
Morris is back in the main group.
Fionn and Blanck are running at the sides early but Blanck eventually joined the main group.

Newmo89
I have noticed that Seamus is a bit in and out from the main training.
Any idea if he’s sore?

IMG_0870.jpeg

Need to hit them hard early on the scoreboard, don't give them a sniff.

I am worried they have lost 14 straight and are due for a win, we have in the last few years lost these type of games against rubbish opp.

having said that we win by 47

Sounds like Ramsden will be in as a ruck/fwd to replace Denver. Bit stiff to bring DGB in so prematurely then drop him after one game. Still, I'm very bullish on Ramma and think when he adds some additional core strength he'll be the forward/ruck that has been missing for team balance.

I agree on both fronts!

Ramma is definitely the future, this should work well for team balance we need as many games into him as possible. The end of the season we can reassess what we require in terms off Key Forward, Ruck, Ruck/Fwd.

I thought DGB was stiff, he has been shopped around in position and can't get a game down back or when Blanck is out off the team, do we only select him as a Fwd now. Sicily will be playing as KPD, i think we missed a chance to see him in a swing role with Pillars around him.

It will be interesting to see who is on the list in 3 years time out off DGB,Kosi,Meek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back