Review Good/Bad vs Collingwood, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Bruhn, I also like O'Driscoll from WA. And there's a kid tearing it up for WWT in the juniors right now, Poulter?
Poulter is flying up draft boards, would seriously be worth a look.

Bruhn I like too.

We also have Luke Edwards.

The board has been very kind to Fogarty. I commented on how poor he was in last weeks game and somebody defended him saying it was his first game back after injury. He wasn't any better tonight though. Worse really.

Honestly I think he's a product from a bygone era. Just not mobile enough for modern AFL. I don't want to pass judgement on him yet as he's shown himself to have heaps of raw talent but his development is stalling atm. I agree with others who say he looks overweight. I think the same is true of Tex.
He is a priceless kick for goal. Missed a couple since coming back but still 22 goals 5 or something.

A good coach with a good midfield would find a way to use that asset

The board has been very kind to Fogarty. I commented on how poor he was in last weeks game and somebody defended him saying it was his first game back after injury. He wasn't any better tonight though. Worse really.

Honestly I think he's a product from a bygone era. Just not mobile enough for modern AFL. I don't want to pass judgement on him yet as he's shown himself to have heaps of raw talent but his development is stalling atm. I agree with others who say he looks overweight. I think the same is true of Tex.
i think it's ridiculous that he has been in the system now if his 3rd year at afl level and still looks like he did playing senior at glenelg. he should be ****ing solid and fit, but doesnt look it at all. 9 touches and little to no impact on a day that was there for the taking. too often the case.

I'd be genuinely interested if someone looked through the tape and saw how often Tex and Fogarty were within 5 meters of each other.

He looked much better in prior seasons as a deep lead up forward that others create space for. Not a contested marking forward that Walker tries and outmarks (one-handed) all over the ground

He is a priceless kick for goal. Missed a couple since coming back but still 22 goals 5 or something.

A good coach with a good midfield would find a way to use that asset
Yep and that's why I'm not calling it yet. Any half decent forwards coach backed by a competent fitness program could extract a player out of Fogarty.

They've gone from "certain number 1" to "not sure the Crows will take him"
That's a bit different to your 1st post....I'm far from certain he's the right pick for us either but he will go top 10at the lowest even if we pass on him. Unfortunately of the 3 players I rate the best in this draft career wise only 1 is available you would think but that shouldn't stop us bidding on Braeden Campbell and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan anyhow and then you have to weigh up if Elijah Hollands is worth that risk at our highest ever pick.

He never hits the packs and gets outbodied far too often in the one on ones, always wants to drift into the mark. I don't think he's got the contest in him.

Rubbish. I agree, however, that until the last two weeks, I had given up on him, especially given his complete lack of motivation at the end of last year. You obviously didn't watch today's game. The cement hands have gone: the only mark he dropped was when he was tunneled. He showed energy and speed and attacked many contests. These are the aspects that had been lacking and today showed what he can do, if motivated. We need that attitude to continue.
My only concern was that he was running all over the ground, right down to fullback, where he shouldn't have been, and appeared to wear himself out by halftime. But he still continued to contribute.

Fog, on the other hand.......

Laird and Berg have been the biggest surprises over the last couple of games.

Laird has turned himself into a seriously good clearance player. 37 disposals, a few inside 50s and 10 clearances, beast of a game.

Berg keeps crashing contests and is starting to clunk more too. Brought the ball to ground beautifully for Stengle’s 2nd goal. Also quite good below his knees for someone his height.

That's a bit different to your 1st post....I'm far from certain he's the right pick for us either but he will go top 10at the lowest even if we pass on him. Unfortunately of the 3 players I rate the best in this draft career wise only 1 is available you would think but that shouldn't stop us bidding on Braeden Campbell and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan anyhow and then you have to weigh up if Elijah Hollands is worth that risk at our highest ever pick.
We might get 2 cracks at Hollands if the Crouch bid goes that way. You go safe with the first pick and Hollands with the 2nd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruhn I like too.

Tom Powell will be the one that has peaked recruiters interested most of the SA boys given how little footy he's played the last couple of years due to injuries. Best hands in the whole draft and his kicking which was of most interest to me looks far better the longer he's been able to get on the field.

Some positives tonight. Could have written that second half. Our fitness is barely Sanfl standard. Not sure how it has come to this.

Good:

Stengle continues to grow. Really natural footballer and he's surprising me how much he can find it up the ground.

Himm looks to be showing glimpses that he not only can play football but believes he can. I'd written him off.

ROB showed how overrated ruck taps are. Nullified Grundy around the ground and provided a bit himself.

McPherson is a find. Still needs to work on some of his positioning but is great 1 on 1. Rarely makes a bad decision and executes his kicks.

Laird has been excellent in the midfield. His career almost looked cooked until this year. Tbh I don't think we'd get much for Matt Crouch and I think laird could net us something good with a trade especially with this form. Just hope that Crouch finds form again.

McAdam a few good moments. You can see his confidence rising.

I know I will inevitably get called out for this, but Mackay was actually pretty decent. It annoys me cos I know he shouldn't be in the team and this will keep him in.

Sholl encouraging. Mentally ready for afl but still not strong enough. A lot of our players need to seriously work on their strength.

Good/bad:

Smith. 2 bad kicks and everyone wants him strung up. Wouldn't be surprised if he receives a few death threats and wouldn't surprise me if it was from a few people on here.

Tex. What a game. Looked up and about only to completely undo his good work.

Bad:

Fitness is our biggest issue. Players could barely jog early in the 4th. Plainly obvious and a serious management problem that needs to be fixed.

Dood injury. Think he's our most important player and will be crucial to our rebuild. Need to keep him on the park.

Lynch injury in his 150th. Started the game well.

McAsey not ready and getting absolutely smashed in defence. He's also not up to the speed yet. Either get him out or let him lead to the ball as a forward. Not doing good development any good getting demoralised every game.

Fog had a shocker. Wasn't clean from the get go, which is not normally him.

Crouch had a terrible first half. Looked concussed he was playing that bad. Played better in the second half but he's obviously a big part of our midfield issue.

Hartigan pretty average. Have to at least give butts a go. Need Talia back first though especially with dood out.

McHenry is an absolute nothing player at this stage. Can't see any attributes as yet apart from trying hard, which ultimately is translating into nothing. Maybe just keep him in there as I doubt he has the capacity to mentally cook himself given his personality. Might start to show something.

Schoenberg didn't have a great game. Very fumbly and struggled to get into it.

Now we know what it feels like to be the worst team in the afl. It isn't fun.

Laird and Berg have been the biggest surprises over the last couple of games.

Laird has turned himself into a seriously good clearance player. 37 disposals, a few inside 50s and 10 clearances, beast of a game.

Berg keeps crashing contests and is starting to clunk more too. Brought the ball to ground beautifully for Stengle’s 2nd goal. Also quite good below his knees for someone his height.
Laird has the look of a player trying his guts out to impress other clubs. Whether he stays or goes he is driving his price up.

Bruhn I like too.

Luke turning into the type of player we have a lot of in my opinion, but I won't mind us taking him if he nominates.

Truthfully,I'd be happy to take two mids from this draft and trade heavily into the 21 draft. It's a crap shoot this year and the Vic kids will be underdone. Not the draft to have high picks in my opinion.

You must have missed his 2018 break out season then suffer multiple injuries in 2019 and now.......was it an asterisk season like this year so it was meh and you forgot???
Seen a couple of good games from milera. Goes missing a lot. Must be watching the wrong player.

What has Milera done? Nothing of note so far. Doedee is a star as long as his body stands up.
Are you really that clueless, he's looked exceptional plenty of times when he's got on the park, just needs to get a bit braver at the contested stuff, put the ball in hands on the outside and generally his ball use is elite.

Luke turning into the type of player we have a lot of in my opinion, but I won't mind us taking him if he nominates.

Truthfully,I'd be happy to take two mids from this draft and trade heavily into the 21 draft. It's a crap shoot this year and the Vic kids will be underdone. Not the draft to have high picks in my opinion.
Lucky we have a couple more to come !!!

It's kind of why Thilthorpe makes sense. We know what we are getting and he's had a good draft year. Playing solid league footy in a hard position.

Go mids with the Crouch compo and GWS pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back