Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So genuine question for Christians (or any other religious types) out there. Now that various denominations are questioning the ethics of the Oxford COVID-19 vaccine, will you take it if it becomes available in Australia?

Correlation or causation? :think:

What if the Christian god is real, but its evil, and prayers from his most 'righteous' followers fuel his ability to wreak havoc on Earth?

Remember 95% of the species that has ever walked on earth already been extinct before homosapiens appeared on earth. Whom are the xtians gonna blame this one on considering most of them believe evolution is a myth.

What if Allah is real? lol

Remember 95% of the species that has ever walked on earth already been extinct before homosapiens appeared on earth. Whom are the xtians gonna blame this one on considering most of them believe evolution is a myth.
Good question. Given the lack of answers from Christians here, I'm tempted to put on my Christian hat and answer the questions myself. Here we go....

Satan spends his time creating viruses and scheming against Essendon. 2020 was going to be the year of the Dons and Satan knew that, so he created covid-19 to derail our season.

How's that for explanatory power? I challenge anyone to provide proof that can invalidate my faith.
What if Allah is real? lol
Nobody has been able to prove that he isn't real, so the Islamic faith is validated. That's how science works. ;)

I'm still waiting for someone to prove that the Invisible Pink Unicorn isn't real. I'm yet to see one shred of evidence from the skeptics.

So genuine question for Christians (or any other religious types) out there. Now that various denominations are questioning the ethics of the Oxford COVID-19 vaccine, will you take it if it becomes available in Australia?

Is it an ethical question just for theists? I think that it’s good that humanity still gets to asks itself these deep ethical questions about the sanctity and protection of human life in or out of the womb.

Last edited:
Is it an ethical question just for theists? I think that it’s good that humanity still gets to asks itself these deep ethical questions about the sanctity and protection of human life in or out of the womb.

Indeed . But I'm more interested will Christians follow the lead of the Archbishop of Sydney for instance? I note in the Age today, a letter from an Anglican priest who noted from an ethical point of view saving lives via vaccine totally outweighs the use of an aborted fetus in the research leading to the development of the vaccine. So there's one example of a religious person going against the orthodoxy and supporting the Oxford vaccine.

I'm genuinely interested in the thought processes here.

To put my cards on the table here, I was pretty disappointed by the Archbishop's comments for a number of reasons. One of them being that my elderly mother-in-law will follow blindly anything said by the Anglican church. We've already been having trouble explaining to her why she should have the vaccine when it becomes available (I doubt she'd survive a COVID-19 case given her health). Ultimately it's her decision but I find it incongruous for the Archbishop to talk about the sanctity of life and then actively come out against something that is seeking to save lives.

Indeed . But I'm more interested will Christians follow the lead of the Archbishop of Sydney for instance? I note in the Age today, a letter from an Anglican priest who noted from an ethical point of view saving lives via vaccine totally outweighs the use of an aborted fetus in the research leading to the development of the vaccine. So there's one example of a religious person going against the orthodoxy and supporting the Oxford vaccine.

I'm genuinely interested in the thought processes here.

To put my cards on the table here, I was pretty disappointed by the Archbishop's comments for a number of reasons. One of them being that my elderly mother-in-law will follow blindly anything said by the Anglican church. We've already been having trouble explaining to her why she should have the vaccine when it becomes available (I doubt she'd survive a COVID-19 case given her health). Ultimately it's her decision but I find it incongruous for the Archbishop to talk about the sanctity of life and then actively come out against something that is seeking to save lives.
The religious mindset is to trust god and his spokespeople because "all things work together for the good of those who love god" (Romans 8:28). That means trusting god over scientists and doctors.

Compromising your morality by choosing to accept a vaccine that was developed with some benefit from abortion would be at best a grey area for many Christians who see abortion as the work of the devil.

In Christianity, most things are black and white. God or devil. Life or death. Truth or lie.

When I believed, I honestly think I would have chosen not to take the vaccine because of moral concerns regarding abortion.

Correlation or causation? :think:

What if the Christian god is real, but its evil, and prayers from his most 'righteous' followers fuel his ability to wreak havoc on Earth?

One of the Christian gods is eil, that being Yahweh (a lower order divine being). God the Father (an upper level divine being) sent his son Jesus to save humanity from Yahweh.

This was standard early Christian doctrine, and probably close to what John the Baptist and Paul the Apostle preached, but none of their writing and teaching survive unedited and in their original form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ever notice how prayer is a one-sided conversation?

Many Christians claim to have heard from God.

I prefer to call it common sense or conscience.

The whole thing was a legal trick. Sacrificing yourself to yourself so that you could save humanity from eternal damnation and judgement, as decided by yourself as a the sole judge.

How did a god of infinite wisdom and perfect knowledge ever get himself into such a legal position where atonement for sin required the sacrifice of blood? Who made up that rule and how did god get fooled into accepting it?

What Christians call forgiveness is actually based upon the principle of atonement or retribution, which is the opposite of forgiveness. Why couldn't god just have forgiven sins without going through this complicated legalistic process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back