Play Nice Referendum - Indigenous Voice in Parliament - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the proposed Referendum, from the Referendum Working Group:
(Edited 6 April 2023)

These are the words that will be put to the Australian people in the upcoming referendum as agreed by the Referendum Working Group (made up of representatives of First Nations communities from around Australia):

"A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?"

As well as that, it will be put to Australians that the constitution be amended to include a new chapter titled "Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples".

The details would be:

View attachment 1636890

The Prime Minister has committed to the government introducing legislation with this wording to parliament on 30 March 2023 and to establishing a joint parliamentary committee to consider it and receive submissions on the wording, providing ALL members of Parliament with the opportunity to consider and debate the full details of the proposal.

Parliament will then vote on the wording in June in the lead up to a National Referendum.

The ANU has issued a paper responding to common public concerns expressed in relation to the proposed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice here:

Summary details of the key points from this paper may be found in Chief post here:
The Uluru Statement from the Heart:
Not specifically No. In any case it does not form part of the Referendum proposal.

View attachment 1769742
Seeing as things have gotten a bit toxic in here, let's try to return things to a more civil tone.

The following will result in warnings to begin with, and if said behaviour continues will be escalated:
  • referring to another poster as racist without direct provocation.
  • dismissing or deriding another poster's lived experience.
  • personal attacks or one line posts designed solely to insult or deride.

You might notice that the final rule is from the board rules. Thought we should probably remember that this is against the rules in case it's been forgotten.

Let's play nicely from here, people.

Continues from Part One

Last edited by a moderator:

Kram and evolved.

The two investment bros who couldn't give a s**t about anyone but themselves and their own.
Which is why I (and presumably Kram too) will vote yes. It's a good investment strategy, no?

No one in this thread is going to be swayed how they vote on it.

It's all a waste of time.
Thanks for your input. I hope the time you spent on it wasn't wasted.

I went to a large dinner party last night and talked to a fair mix of Yes and No voters. What I found was very interesting is that the No voters were all 'What's in it for me? What am I losing? How does this affect how I represented in the constitution?' whereas all the Yes voters were 'How will this help indigenous Australians?' - not one reference to their self-interest. Very, very, very interesting I thought and very telling..

Where I live since when I was a kid the change over the last 30 years has been amazing, it was around a fair bit back then early 90s but these days I can't even remember the last time I've heard someone say something even remotely racist. Even kids I see at school with ordinary behaviour otherwise are very tolerant of people that are different to them in general.

Only 1 notable exception was in Perth where I feel fairly certain my Mum was racially profiled when she had her handbag thoroughly searched at a Midland shop.
I grew up in Dandy in the 70s and 80s, was quite normal to be called skip at primary and high school. Was a highly diverse area culturally and there was always a sentiment of 'us against everyone else', ironically we all had friends of different cultural backgrounds and the 'us against everyone else' took a back seat.

None the less the name calling was rife, however everyone just accepted it was just the norm and shrugged it off with 'meh'. More than certain though some would've taken the insults to heart and just put on a brave face.

Nowadays, you could have a reasonable question about the voice and you're a racist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I grew up in Dandy in the 70s and 80s, was quite normal to be called skip at primary and high school. Was a highly diverse area culturally and there was always a sentiment of 'us against everyone else', ironically we all had friends of different cultural backgrounds and the 'us against everyone else' took a back seat.

None the less the name calling was rife, however everyone just accepted it was just the norm and shrugged it off with 'meh'. More than certain though some would've taken the insults to heart and just put on a brave face.

Nowadays, you could have a reasonable question about the voice and you're a racist.
Unfortunately, there have been many racist comments on this thread and that is why so many posters have been suspended.

Unfortunately, there have been many racist comments on this thread and that is why so many posters have been suspended.
To be honest soy, I haven't read anything that has been bluntly and intently racist. (may have missed it)

Maybe you and I have a different view of what should be considered racism, if it's genuinely unintended then I don't think that person should be labelled a racist.

To be honest soy, I haven't read anything that has been bluntly and intently racist. (may have missed it)

Maybe you and I have a different view of what should be considered racism, if it's genuinely unintended then I don't think that person should be labelled a racist.
Because you think everything short of the klan has plausible deniability...

No, I have a very open view of what racism is. I have seen a wider range of racism than most. There have been some horribly racist commnets on here.

If you check the recent cry of "racist" in this thread, it's the No voters that keep bringing it up :think:

If you check the recent cry of "racist" in this thread, it's the No voters that keep bringing it up :think:

Are you sure?

We are one of the most horrifically racist countries on Earth

BS.
They're labelled racist because the reasons they profer for being undecided are no different to the excuses offered by racists.

If you don’t want to use ‘racist’, there are plenty of other terms that are available: ‘narrow minded’, ‘intolerant’, ‘Neanderthal’, to name a few :)

Yes there are Indigenous representatives in parliament, the overall power dynamics and decision-making processes are still largely controlled by non-Indigenous individuals and institutions. This impact the effectiveness of policies and initiatives addressing Indigenous issues.

You asked this question and none of the No voters addressed it. Typical

Ask No voters, how they would do things different.... No response.... but they're firmly against the Voice. Will respond eagerly and days on end if called racist. That's ALL YOUR NEED TO KNOW about those racist *******s.

Please refrain from asking for clarifications, mr racist

That’s exactly what a racist would say, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back