Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Who wins the 2020 Flag - Prelim finals onward

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Brisbane Lions

Votes: 57 16.3%
  • Richmond Tigers

Votes: 154 44.1%
  • Geelong Cats

Votes: 102 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL would want a Richmond v ........ GF. They may assume it will be Brisbane, so they certainly will not want Port to make it as a Brisbane v Port GF is probably bad for the bottom line. And we know the AFLs first priority is cash. So lock in Richmond as 1 team in the GF.
Why do the AFL want Richmond in the grand final? More people watching on TV? I think their first priority is Brisbane because they want more fans in QLD.

Port fans already complaining about the umpiring.
Versus Tigers complaining all year about a) hubs b) rooms c) schedule d) beautician access e) sharing physio's f) rules of COVID19 g) travel h) breaks between games i) injuries j) injuries k) injuries l) media overreacting to onfield behaviour ....my fingers sore. Port least complaining team all year.

Brisbane pushed passed you. I look forward to contest Friday night. Still my pick is Brisbane. Damien Hardwick must be like The Wolf on Pulp Fiction to the tiger supporters and the media "lets not start sucking each others d### quite yet"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prelim 1 Port will beat Richmond
Prelim 2 Brisbane will beat Geelong

I imagine the Port v Richmond game is going to be a tough, physical encounter. Port will win, but Richmond are going to make them earn it. Port then have to travel to QLD to take on the Lions at home. I see this as the big difference if they have to play Brisbane in the Grand Final. Brisbane also match up well on Port, having beaten them during the Home and Away games in 2019 and 2020.

Brisbane, having lost to Geelong earlier in the year, will not be taking Geelong lightly and just as they did with Richmond, they will learn from a loss during the regular season and turn that around in finals.

I’m expecting Brisbane to go BANG, BANG and win the flag.

Im tipping it will be Port v Geelong (id rather it was Brisbane, but i dont think they structure up well against the Cats) .
From there its a flip of the coin.
Would like to see port reverse the 07 result

I could definitely be wrong because I’m not an AFL expert, but I think that Port Adelaide has the lowest chance of winning the Premiership from the remaining teams should they make the Grand Final. While they probably have a solid chance of making it, they’ll have to defeat either Brisbane or Geelong at the Gabba.

The reason why I think this is because of their defence. They have the most undersized defence from the remaining contenders while their opponents have a solid group of talls in the forward line. Geelong may have misfired against Port in the QF, but the amount of marks inside 50 they took at AO was a bit concerning.

Marks inside 50 vs Brisbane and Geelong this year:
QF: Port Adelaide 4 - Geelong 10
Round 12: Port Adelaide 2 - Geelong 18
Round 5: Port Adelaide 4 - Brisbane 12

That doesn’t tell a pretty story in my opinion. It tells me that Geelong and Brisbane have the defence to negate Port Adelaide’s tall forwards but Port Adelaide doesn’t have the defence to keep their forwards in check. Another thing is that Brisbane and Geelong are also good teams in the contests so can match (or even beat) Port Adelaide in the midfield.

In my opinion, their best pathway to the Premiership for them would have been if they played Brisbane or Geelong in the PF at AO and then Richmond in the GF as there are some weaknesses that Port Adelaide could have exploited with the Tigers. Alas, they’ll have to work through the pathway that they were given.

Considering both the PF and GF as well as the venues that they are played in, my opinion on who wins the Premiership in order of likelihood is:

1. Brisbane
2. Geelong
3. Richmond
4. Port Adelaide.

Of course I am going to back Richmond though. They have performed fantastically over the last 3 years so I won’t count them out :)

Versus Tigers complaining all year about a) hubs b) rooms c) schedule d) beautician access e) sharing physio's f) rules of COVID19 g) travel h) breaks between games i) injuries j) injuries k) injuries l) media overreacting to onfield behaviour ....my fingers sore. Port least complaining team all year.

Brisbane pushed passed you. I look forward to contest Friday night. Still my pick is Brisbane. Damien Hardwick must be like The Wolf on Pulp Fiction to the tiger supporters and the media "lets not start sucking each others d### quite yet"

Port haven't complained because they've spent the least amount of time in a hub and more home games.. what would you complain about.

If you had something to complain about I'm sure Koch would be complaining to the AFL.

Show me where in this thread Richmond people have complained about any of that.

Betting market suggests no standout favourite

$3.25 Brisbane
$3.80 Richmond
$4 Port
$4.50 Geelong
Reckon they're spot on! Honestly wouldn't be surprised if any of the 4 teams win it, just as I wouldn't be surprised if the remaining finals feature a couple blow outs. Acknowledging my bias I do think Richmond are the best team in it, although having to go to adelaide rubs out that advantage as I think we're slight underdogs for the PF. Best PF lineup in recent memory

Reckon they're spot on! Honestly wouldn't be surprised if any of the 4 teams win it, just as I wouldn't be surprised if the remaining finals feature a couple blow outs. Acknowledging my bias I do think Richmond are the best team in it, although having to go to adelaide rubs out that advantage as I think we're slight underdogs for the PF. Best PF lineup in recent memory
Last year's pfs were incredible. If this year is better then wow

I could definitely be wrong because I’m not an AFL expert, but I think that Port Adelaide has the lowest chance of winning the Premiership from the remaining teams should they make the Grand Final. While they probably have a solid chance of making it, they’ll have to defeat either Brisbane or Geelong at the Gabba.

The reason why I think this is because of their defence. They have the most undersized defence from the remaining contenders while their opponents have a solid group of talls in the forward line. Geelong may have misfired against Port in the QF, but the amount of marks inside 50 they took at AO was a bit concerning.

That doesn’t tell a pretty story in my opinion. It tells me that Geelong and Brisbane have the defence to negate Port Adelaide’s tall forwards but Port Adelaide doesn’t have the defence to keep their forwards in check. Another thing is that Brisbane and Geelong are also good teams in the contests so can match (or even beat) Port Adelaide in the midfield.

In my opinion, their best pathway to the Premiership for them would have been if they played Brisbane or Geelong in the PF at AO and then Richmond in the GF as there are some weaknesses that Port Adelaide could have exploited with the Tigers. Alas, they’ll have to work through the pathway that they were given.

Considering both the PF and GF as well as the venues that they are played in, my opinion on who wins the Premiership in order of likelihood is:

1. Brisbane
2. Geelong
3. Richmond
4. Port Adelaide.

Of course I am going to back Richmond though. They have performed fantastically over the last 3 years so I won’t count them out :)

I think if Tigers can win the prelim they will beat who ever is served up on the other side... I would definitely have the tigers higher... but I can't knock your mathematics.

1. Brisbane
2. Geelong
3. Richmond
4. Port Adelaide.

Agree, I’d be confident going in against cats or lions at the Gabba but port in Adelaide will be a tougher proposition. So if Richmond beat port I think we’ll win the flag. If port win than the winner of cats and lions will win it. So any of the 4 teams can win it.
Except port.

Back