Preview Geelong V Brisbane Prelim Final Sat Oct 17 7 40 pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this slightly unbelievable .. you are one of the most tempered supporter who post in sensible manner. Where you at the Rich game the week b

I dont like GA is unable to find a his top gear.. I fear its stripped and no longer there. I dream of one last 2 or 3 goal performance but I fear we will only see these little cameo's. Simpson probably had close to the same input to GA.

I don't like Brisbane weapons ..eg Cameron. Small goal shark forward have been our bane for as long as I can remember.. and Cameron has good memories of burning us in finals.

Its all there for us ..as I don't feel that Brisbane are better than us ..they are on the cusp and we are close to needing a refit ... ironically a switch to the 2004 PF. They have home ground advantage ..but that holds lesser value when we are up there in hub and have a good feel about play at the ground. There are only so many chances for Danger to get to a GF even if this year it still probably not the GF he has dreamed about. I doubt we can kick 13 .3 again... but if we make the most of our chances then we probably win.

Its a good point that - and i keep looking ahead to Richmond - and thinking how will he go against that attacking/rebound defence

Maybe give Ablett - say 10% in the middle - because his best game ( especially 1st half ) by a mile since returning to Geel is the game against NM at KP - and he did have a few short stints on the ball that day

You look at Ablett and Simpson ( and again at looking at beating Richmond ) - Shaun Higgins of NM ( who apparently the Cats are interested in ) he would be so handy for Geel in the next weeks on a hff - pity - one year out

17 games each, 1 bye each, 18 rounds total.

Everyone plays each other once. Geelong have to go to Perth to play the Eagles this year. Next year it switches and they come to us. An even comp...who would have thunk it.

It's a fantasy so may as well say with this that means State of Origin could come back.

He is a terrible finals player, goes missing just like Rohan. I also tend to find him a little lazy and slow at releasing so that slows everything down, needs to get on his bike this week and get the ball moving faster.

Spot on. He's so ordinary under pressure. The Pies' first two goals on the weekend were a result of Menegola turnovers. He's had a great year, but he needs to lift this week and perform in a big game.

Did you notice after almost every goal we kicked there was a steely resolve. No huge grins, even being 10 goals in front, no over the top celebrations.
Just focus and determination.
I noticed that when watching replays of his two banana kick goals. Perhaps the team has collectively had the "chat. The jobs not done until the GF is done.

Don't get the people saying Rohan had a bad game. Took a heap of fantastic contested grabs.

All one-grab too. Was a phenomenal marking display he put on. Was a shame he wasn't able to convert his set shots though, as he deserved a couple of goals alongside his name.

All one-grab too. Was a phenomenal marking display he put on. Was a shame he wasn't able to convert his set shots though, as he deserved a couple of goals alongside his name.
With Hawkins, Rohan and Dangerfield in the forwardline, we'd have to be the best marking forward team in the competition, no? Except maybe West Coast?

Rich is in almost career best form i would put a tag on him.
Hes low flat kicks are dangerous.
Need to put the breaks on that.

Cameron super dangerous up the other end of the ground.
Cameron was good against Richmond but he hasn’t actually been that good this year. We need to get on top of him early and keep it up. Who took him last time?- they did well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get the people saying Rohan had a bad game. Took a heap of fantastic contested grabs.
Agree - people clearly not watching the game closely. Watch the lead up to Dangers second banana goal that broke them - it was Rohans great running and pace to stop the Pies player clearing the ball and handballing backwards, then trapping the next guy for Danger to swallow up. It was Rohans efforts that got Danger the kick.

What should be our 1st qtr strategy?

Take the sting out of the crowd and get the uncontested marks going? Keepings off style..

Hit them hard in the first 10 mins and make a statement after their week off?

Combo of both?
watch the enire 4 seasons of Cobra Kai and go out and strike first strike hard and take no prisoners! LOL

sorry i just had ot be an idiot for a second...

But yes.. play hard and confident footy... cant let BL get up and about as they will run forward of the ball and if they get that... we are in Barney. So play harder straight line 1%er footy and keep it off them. Make them change their play to match ours.

Fagan is a cagey and experienced bloke and will have them ready.

GO Catters

Did you notice after almost every goal we kicked there was a steely resolve. No huge grins, even being 10 goals in front, no over the top celebrations.
Just focus and determination.
vry similar to Mooney in the 07 GF - when we were scoring goals it was all about keep the fpcus and dont get carried away - enjoy the moment but the jobs not done.

I likey

GO Catters

O'Connor to Cameron
Parfitt to Neale

Keep these two quiet and we win by 50 instead of 24.
Not Bews to Cameron? not sure Shark has the lateral movement to keep up.... Bews seems to me more nimble like that.

GO Catters

Need to get on top early and not let some of their more flakey players get some early shithouse goals in a la Motlop the other week.

The Footy gods owe us one and the Lions journey is only just beginning for their players. They;ll have other times. Pie in the sky hope and analysis i know.

Spot on. He's so ordinary under pressure. The Pies' first two goals on the weekend were a result of Menegola turnovers. He's had a great year, but he needs to lift this week and perform in a big game.

Half right, their second goal was, their first he wasn't involved at all.

Not Bews to Cameron? not sure Shark has the lateral movement to keep up.... Bews seems to me more nimble like that.

GO Catters
I've liked Bews' development as a running defender and think he should continue playing that role. He's our most improved player this year and it's as a result of a little more freedom.

The mark that I remember him not holding was in the 2nd (?) quarter, would have been a set shot directly in front about 30m out, and I it looked like Rohan was interfered with with his arms knocked or some contact, as the ball didn't just slip out of his hands & it was an awkward landing

But no free kick

4th prelim in 5 years. It’s a great effort, but we are doughnuts for GF berths. We are back to make amends.
Brisbane’s best asset is they ‘have a go.’ Berry, McCluggage, Neale, robbo they get in and get dirty. So the pressure will be real. First half let’s sow some doubts in
Their minds and crank up the pressure. We can’t allow Brisbane to make a GF in their first prelim outing for this group and completely Jump over us in the pecking order! Surely can’t accept that!
Their forwards are suspect , so I’m expecting the experienced cats to get it done To finally get back to where we belong!
no changes!

Unfortunately I'm not sure thats how it goes. It's kind of like Brisbane should have been saying can't let Port jump over us and win the flag in 2004 in their first go. Just because you have been there before doesn't make you better. If the team there first time around is just a better team that is usually much more significant. Not saying Brisbane are but just saying we should win cause we have been there before is limited I think.

Think we have to go in with the same 22. We have the structure working now

Stanley and Danger to take the majority of the Centre Bounces then push forward for general play to become dangerous forwards. Danger will probably attend 60% of CBs and Stanley closer to 80% (if not 90%).

When Danger is in the middle, Simpson starts F50 and pushes into the middle for that release kick out of the centre. Worked well last night. He's knows when to play on and how to get the ball into dangerous areas F50 for our forward. Will play between the arcs during general play.

Blicavs runs everywhere. Starts on the wing, pushes back to be 7th man, pushes into the middle to take the stoppages.

Saturday will be a close game, it won't be easy. Like last night we need first hands on the ball, control the tempo. Brisbane play proper footy, so will give us a little bit of space (they don't rely on turnover to kick 75% of their score, unlike richmond). We won't get the same possession we did against the Pies, but if we can replicate it and get a purple patch it might be the difference.

I really like this idea. Think it absolutely gives us the best of both worlds. We definitley need Danger in at the CB cause the Gabba is such a CB ground. However I don't think his influence is as dynamic at stoppages around the ground because they are inevitably crowded with lots of numbers. That way we get maximum help through the midfield where he can be really damaging but he can quickly drift forward and become a headache there.

Interestingly I think Scott let your plan slip a little on the radio this morning when he said you know a player like Danger is being used most efficiently when it's hard for the opposition to tell where he is playing and doing his damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back