Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

The winds of change are blowing wild and free.

North have parted ways with Jade Rawlings, Heath Scotland, Jarred Moore, Jason Lappin, Will Minson, Michael Firrito, Scott Gowans, Jared Rivers, Brendan Whitecross. Whitecross, Rivers, Scotland and Rawlings only came onboard last year. Recall also Aaron Greaves coming onboard from Port Adelaide as Head of Player Development only to leave after 1 year with a year left on contract.

The remaining coaches, with Blakey, include Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw, Head of Development Gavin Brown, Development Coach Leigh Adams and Development Goalkicking Coach Brent Harvey.

So far we've brought in favorite son John Blakey. We shouldn't expect to fully match our losses but there will be more to come in.

Rhyce Shaw has asked for "time and space away from football" and the well wishing has been great to see on this board. Everyone wishes Rhyce the best and I would love to see him back at the club in any capacity. It is likely the club has begun a "phantom search" during this time should Rhyce decide the position is no longer in his best interests.

Rhyce Shaw has parted ways with the club. Very sad news. Forever one of us. All the best Rhyce.

With all those unknowns the search for new coaches begins.

We can expect to see similar names floated for previous coach searches. As a starting point these might include Peter Sumich, Dean Solomon, Michael Voss, Scott Burns, Nathan Bassett, John Worsfold, Michael Prior, Robert Harvey, Adam Kingsley, Blake Caracella, Marc Webb, Jarrad Schofield, Sam Mitchell, Ben Hart, Marty Mattner, David Noble, Darren Glass, Paul Roos, Matthew Knights, Brenton Sanderson, Mark Williams, Craig Jennings.

Discuss.

Last edited:
My two front runners are Voss and Kingsley.

Regardless I hope we put 4-6 applicants through a very rigorous interview process.

There is absolutely no need to rush this. Need to get it right. No long coffee chats with Archer. Due dilligence, proper panel etc.

Whoever is brought in, needs to buy into the rebuild. No pressure on the short-term to give results, with priority on long-term vision and development. Bring a sustainable game plan with a good balance of attack and defend.

I have no concerns about the coach not being involved in current list management decisions. Brady, Luff and Clayton have to base these decisions on long term big picture. Worst result would be bringing in a coach that wants to disrupt our path and try and get quick wins.

I think Mark Choco Williams is the man. He can handle any pressure that the media may throw at him will be water off a ducks back. Also he has always been great with young playing groups hence why he was at GWS under Sheedy when they started with such a young group.

Given the circumstances is this why they are talking to Roos. He might fill in for 12 months giving Shaw the opportunity to have an open discussion with the club when he is a better space. Appointing a new coach could really affect him.

Isn’t Roos in a part time, spruiker kind of role. Doesn’t sound like he’d be up for the grind of coaching.

My two front runners are Voss and Kingsley.

Regardless I hope we put 4-6 applicants through a very rigorous interview process.

There is absolutely no need to rush this. Need to get it right. No long coffee chats with Archer. Due dilligence, proper panel etc.

Whoever is brought in, needs to buy into the rebuild. No pressure on the short-term to give results, with priority on long-term vision and development. Bring a sustainable game plan with a good balance of attack and defend.

I have no concerns about the coach not being involved in current list management decisions. Brady, Luff and Clayton have to base these decisions on long term big picture. Worst result would be bringing in a coach that wants to disrupt our path and try and get quick wins.

I was happy that Voss's name was in the picture however after reading that it was really Schofield that was behind PA's midfield revival I'm now not sure about him. Perhaps he's learn't from Schofield?

l would like Mark Williams as coach and if he doesnt get it we need an experienced senior coach to handle our rebuild. l know Roos would be part time but if we could get him for 2021 and then chase Simmo or Clarkson...l dont want Voss or Lyons...

Could someone POLL this thread also....

My Wishlist

Tier 1 Caracalla, Kingsley

Tier 2 Voss, Chocco

Smoky Webb

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Given the circumstances is this why they are talking to Roos. He might fill in for 12 months giving Shaw the opportunity to have an open discussion with the club when he is a better space. Appointing a new coach could really affect him.

I had a flashback to when Kanga came out of the blue and coached us in the late 80s, then Schimma and Pago. The rest as they say is history (and hopefully it repeats too) :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was happy that Voss's name was in the picture however after reading that it was really Schofield that was behind PA's midfield revival I'm now not sure about him. Perhaps he's learn't from Schofield?

My word he has..

Jarrad Schofield BIO
Jarrad Schofield was originally drafted by the West Coast Eagels with pick 49 in the 1992 AFL draft. He went on to play 63 games with the Eagles before being traded to Port Adelaide as part of a deal with Scott Cummings.

Schofield played 131 games for the Power, where he kicked 91 goals and won the Showdown Medal in 2002.

The gutsy midfielder was also a member of Port's inaugural AFL premiership, as they defeated Brisbane by 40 points.

In 2005, Schofield returned to Perth and linked up with the Fremantle Dockers, playing 12 games in two years before retiring at the end of 2006.

He won three premierships for WAFL side Subiaco as a player (2006-2008) before turning to coaching.

He started as an assistant coach at Claremont in the WAFL in 2012 for just one year after being offered the senior coaching role at Subiaco.

Schofield won three flags in six years as head coach of the Lions, as well as, playing in another two grand finals, to go down as the most successful coach in their history.

At the end of the 2018 season, Schofield was offered his first coaching role in the AFL, seeing him return to Alberton as the midfield coach.

Coaching career
2019-current Port Adelaide Football Club midfield coach
2013-2018 Subiaco senior coach (WAFL)
2012-2013 Claremont assistant coach (WAFL)

Big NO for me on Kingsley . I can’t see us looking at a 1st time coach this time around . If we were I think Schofield , Caracella & Solomon have great reputations around the league . Williams & Voss should definitely be looked at .

Schoey would have had 5 flags in 6 years with Subi but the WAFL put the Fremantle Dockers up against him in the 2 losses, but even then bad kicking cost Subi one of them.

And to keep the mighty Lions theme going, where's Germo these days? Ahh, fond memories, though some of those post-flag celebrations in the Subi rooms are a little hazy.....

For those calling for Mark Williams you can listen to his thoughts on North Melbourne at 12m10s. Almost like he's making a pitch.

"Would you help North Melbourne if they made the call?"
Avoids the answer but doesn't say no...

Currently at Werribee but sounds very open to a move back to the AFL.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=730603

23m50s also interesting.

Last edited:
My word he has..

Jarrad Schofield BIO
Jarrad Schofield was originally drafted by the West Coast Eagels with pick 49 in the 1992 AFL draft. He went on to play 63 games with the Eagles before being traded to Port Adelaide as part of a deal with Scott Cummings.

Schofield played 131 games for the Power, where he kicked 91 goals and won the Showdown Medal in 2002.

The gutsy midfielder was also a member of Port's inaugural AFL premiership, as they defeated Brisbane by 40 points.

In 2005, Schofield returned to Perth and linked up with the Fremantle Dockers, playing 12 games in two years before retiring at the end of 2006.

He won three premierships for WAFL side Subiaco as a player (2006-2008) before turning to coaching.

He started as an assistant coach at Claremont in the WAFL in 2012 for just one year after being offered the senior coaching role at Subiaco.

Schofield won three flags in six years as head coach of the Lions, as well as, playing in another two grand finals, to go down as the most successful coach in their history.

At the end of the 2018 season, Schofield was offered his first coaching role in the AFL, seeing him return to Alberton as the midfield coach.

Coaching career
2019-current Port Adelaide Football Club midfield coach
2013-2018 Subiaco senior coach (WAFL)
2012-2013 Claremont assistant coach (WAFL)

Cheers S, :)

For those calling for Mark Williams you can listen to his thoughts on North Melbourne at 12m10s. Almost like he's making a pitch.

"Would you help North Melbourne if they made the call?"
Avoids the answer but doesn't say no...

Currently at Werribee but sounds very open to a move back to the AFL.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=730603 23m50s also interesting.
He said he'd definitely talk to us, and provided some compelling reasons why it should happen.
My preferences for 2021 Coach:
1. Rhyce
2. Choco
3. Whoever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back