Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Very underrated outside the Club. His work in and tight can be extraordinary and as others have said his decisions in regards delivery are good, I think approaching elite!

Last edited:
Very underrated outside the Club. His work in and tight can be extraordinary and as others have said his decisions in regards delivery are good, I think approaching elite!
Agree. I don't think anyone is better when the ball hits the deck deep in defence, he always seems to get it out cleanly and often to advantage. His decision-making and disposal is top class.

He's also a very positive character, never seen him down or not putting 100% in - that must lift teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great forward line finishing skills too. Not sure whether he's got the repeat sprint attributes the coaches want in those half forward roles but he could snag a few forward.

The wafl is gold mine for us Baker,Broad,Pickett
.Baker missed out on the draft worked his backside off rest his history.

What is freo doing

Great forward line finishing skills too. Not sure whether he's got the repeat sprint attributes the coaches want in those half forward roles but he could snag a few forward.

Baker's pace in the backline is a weapon too

Pick 18 Rookie Draft:)

1511741109637_GUK1BJ2KL.1-1.jpg

Baker played a big role in his first year at Subiaco.Picture: Daniel Wilkins

Subiaco premiership coach Jarrad Schofield says his teenage small forward “terrier” Liam Baker has all the attributes to play AFL football and urged both WA clubs to look closely at the 19-year-old in today’s rookie draft.

Schofield said Baker’s efforts in big games against quality opponents should give clubs confidence he would stand up at the next level.

Baker played 13 games and kicked 19 goals for the Lions in 2017 after switching from West Perth.

“He has only been at our club for a short time but what he has shown in that time is his commitment and his want to improve his game,” Schofield said.

He believed that Baker, South Fremantle’s Sandover medallist Haiden Schloithe and Claremont’s 19-year-old league best-and-fairest winner Bailey Banfield should be near the top of the selection order among WA players today.

“The only thing that clubs may be concerned about is Liam’s stature, but he is a little terrier who can play that small forward half-forward role, which he did quite well for us,” Schofield said.

“He is one of the guys who I would expect the WA clubs should be looking at.

“I think he has shown enough to indicate he can play at the highest level. He was close to getting drafted last year and he has improved again and shown that he can play league footy.”

1511741109637_GUK1BJ2T6.1-0.jpg

Bailey Banfield is another with rookie claims.Picture: Trevor Collens
Baker laid 19 tackles in three finals with the Lions and kicked three goals against South Fremantle in the preliminary final.

“I am confident he is good enough to go. I just hope he doesn’t have to wait another 12 months for it to happen,” Schofield said.

Is he the best player of his draft?

Outside balta and Kelly.

I rate Rayner but would not swap

It’s embarrassing to compare him Daniel. Daniel plays true quarterback with others feeding the ball to him. Bakes wins it himself 👍🏻

The midget is the biggest liability in the game. Granted he is good offensive

Caleb like a very poor man's trae young

Baker is light years ahead and incredibly well rounded. More weapons than a seppo air craft carrier

How could anyone not love this bloke, skilful and as hard as nails.
He makes me laugh as well... he looks like a schoolkid who's snuck on to the ground in his footy gear!

That he looks like he a commission flat kid and is more bogan than stevey Irwin is an added bonus

Yet another gem from our gem factory.

Here is a look at the top ten:
  1. 1 - Aikhal Diamond Mine (Russia) ...
  2. 2 - Jwaneng Diamond Mine (Botswana) ...
  3. 3 - Richmond Football club Diamond Mine (Punt Road) ...
  4. 4 - Diamond Mine Nyurba (Russia) ...
  5. 5 - Orapa Diamond Mine (Botswana) ...

With another preseason into players like Baker & 1 to 3 yr players, it will mean quality players able to get to more contests. Impacting the game more...Delicious!....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back