Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is a look at the top ten:
  1. 1 - Aikhal Diamond Mine (Russia) ...
  2. 2 - Jwaneng Diamond Mine (Botswana) ...
  3. 3 - Richmond Football club Diamond Mine (Punt Road) ...
  4. 4 - Diamond Mine Nyurba (Russia) ...
  5. 5 - Orapa Diamond Mine (Botswana) ...
I think the Ord river diamond mine in WA has been well mined by RFC

Great forward line finishing skills too. Not sure whether he's got the repeat sprint attributes the coaches want in those half forward roles but he could snag a few forward.
I always thought if the backline got too crowded, Bakes could pinch hit up there. I'll never forget his overhead marking in the wet.

I was very skeptical when Liam was picked only because we had so many smalls on the list at the time just thought we needed a KPP and thought another midget but wow has this kid made an impression on the AFL in his short time in the game.

Real terrier and beautiful skills with courage and fight as well as the excitement in his face when the team wins , You cannot replicate that
If he was 10cm taller he would be the next Grimes imo

Here is a look at the top ten:
  1. 1 - Aikhal Diamond Mine (Russia) ...
  2. 2 - Jwaneng Diamond Mine (Botswana) ...
  3. 3 - Richmond Football club Diamond Mine (Punt Road) ...
  4. 4 - Diamond Mine Nyurba (Russia) ...
  5. 5 - Orapa Diamond Mine (Botswana) ...
Looks like a Top 5 to me :tearsofjoy:

Remember the melts and confusion when we drafted him
“We don’t need another small forward”

Shows the foresight our recruiting department have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember the melts and confusion when we drafted him
“We don’t need another small forward”

Shows the foresight our recruiting department have

Slobbo has Caleb Daniel as the 15th best player.

Vastly superior to Baker. Vlastuin. Houli. And short.

I was very skeptical when Liam was picked only because we had so many smalls on the list at the time just thought we needed a KPP and thought another midget but wow has this kid made an impression on the AFL in his short time in the game.

Real terrier and beautiful skills with courage and fight as well as the excitement in his face when the team wins , You cannot replicate that
If he was 10cm taller he would be the next Grimes imo

Baker grew up on a wheat and sheep farm in Pingaring, Western Australia, a town 341 kilometres (212 mi) east of Perth.[2][3] He took up junior football with the semi-local Lake Grace-Pingrup Football Club in the Ongerup Football Association, traveling more than 60 kilometres (37 mi) to do so.[4] In 2014 he received the best and fairest award for the Great Southern Colts carnival that June.[5]

He later played representative football in Perth as a junior with the colts program of WAFL club West Perth.[6]
While in Perth he attended high school at Aquinas College.[7] In 2016 Baker represented Western Austrlaia at the 2016 AFL Under 18 Championships.[8]
There he averaged 17.7 disposals and a goal per game across three matches.[9] Following that season Baker was one of just 12 Western Australians and 80 young players across the country to be invited to the national draft combine in Melbourne in October.[10][11]
At the combine he placed equal-second overall in the goal-kicking test and seventh in the endurance running beep test.[12][13][14] Baker was passed over in national, pre-season and rookie drafts that year, before making a switch to play senior football with rival WAFL club Subiaco in 2017.[15]

At the time he recognised the need to improve physically, citing poor sprint testing at the national combine as a factor in his failure to be drafted.[6] In addition, he worked on improving his inconsistent kicking caused by a bad ball-drop technique and a lack of positional versatility that saw him play exclusively as an inside midfielder.[6] Improvements in these areas saw Baker break into the club's senior side while playing predominantly as a small forward.[6] In just his second senior match he played a key role with three goals in a win over Swan Districts.[16] In his side's preliminary final Baker also contributed three goals.[17] He played a total of 13 matches at senior level including a "shining" performance in Subiaco's losing grand final in which he recorded 19 disposals, six inside-50s and five tackles.[18]. Baker kicked 19 goals that season and held averages of 16 disposals and three tackles per game.[6] At the state draft combine that year he placed third in the endurance running yo-yo test.[19] Despite his efforts Baker was again undrafted in that year's national and pre-season drafts.[20]

Baker was drafted by Richmond with the club's first pick and the 18th selection overall in the 2018 AFL rookie draft in November 2017.[21]

Slobbo has Caleb Daniel as the 15th best player.

Vastly superior to Baker. Vlastuin. Houli. And short.

stopped reading at slobbo

Next player up in the grand final recollections is Liam Baker.

1st 2 pages of this thread are a laugh.
Too many as always are worried about size.

Thank God the recruiters saw something in this bloke because he and Short are just so safe by foot in the defensive 50. Love his bravery as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back