blackers

All Australian
Jan 4, 2002
Kowloon Tong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Denver Broncos, Liverpool
Ok, I was bored today so I decided to find how many players it takes to cover the entire history of Fitzroy, from the first round the 1897 season to the end of the 1996 season. The rules (which I just made up) are:
  • the first player must have played in round 1, 1897;
  • the last player must have played in round 22, 1996;
  • each player must have played with the next player in the chain in a match;
  • only games playing for Fitzroy count.
My solution is:
  1. Ern Jenkins played in R1, 1897
  2. Who played with Percy Parratt in R9, 1910
  3. Who played with Norm Cockram in the 1923 GF
  4. Who played with Frank Curcio in R5, 1933
  5. Who played with Alan Butch Gale in R19, 1948
  6. Who played with Kevin Bulldog Murray in R18, 1961
  7. Who played with Garry Flea Wilson in R22, 1974
  8. Who played with Paul Roos in the 1984 EF
  9. Who played with Brad Boyd in R23, 1994
  10. Who played in R22, 1996.
Of all those, all but Roos played their whole careers at Fitzroy (and Boyd, although he played for Fitzroy until there was no Fitzroy to play for). Sadly the big exodus around 1991-94 meant no-one from those mid 80s teams lasted until 1996, at least not still playing for the Roys.

I'd be interested to know if someone can do it in less players. I wasn't very scientific, I mainly just went to each player's last game to see who they were playing with. You could sub a few - Norm Johnstone for Butch Gale, David McMahon for Garry Wilson - but Murray, Roos, Wilson and Curcio are the four top for games played, so hard to do it without them.

That's a marvellous effort of yours, blackers.
I had a look at the Fitzroy players list on afltables.com and reckon it would be hard to beat nine players spanning Fitzroy's century in the top flight.

Ok, I was bored today so I decided to find how many players it takes to cover the entire history of Fitzroy, from the first round the 1897 season to the end of the 1996 season. The rules (which I just made up) are:
  • the first player must have played in round 1, 1897;
  • the last player must have played in round 22, 1996;
  • each player must have played with the next player in the chain in a match;
  • only games playing for Fitzroy count.
My solution is:
  1. Ern Jenkins played in R1, 1897
  2. Who played with Percy Parratt in R9, 1910
  3. Who played with Norm Cockram in the 1923 GF
  4. Who played with Frank Curcio in R5, 1933
  5. Who played with Alan Butch Gale in R19, 1948
  6. Who played with Kevin Bulldog Murray in R18, 1961
  7. Who played with Garry Flea Wilson in R22, 1974
  8. Who played with Paul Roos in the 1984 EF
  9. Who played with Brad Boyd in R23, 1994
  10. Who played in R22, 1996.
Of all those, all but Roos played their whole careers at Fitzroy (and Boyd, although he played for Fitzroy until there was no Fitzroy to play for). Sadly the big exodus around 1991-94 meant no-one from those mid 80s teams lasted until 1996, at least not still playing for the Roys.

I'd be interested to know if someone can do it in less players. I wasn't very scientific, I mainly just went to each player's last game to see who they were playing with. You could sub a few - Norm Johnstone for Butch Gale, David McMahon for Garry Wilson - but Murray, Roos, Wilson and Curcio are the four top for games played, so hard to do it without them.
Could also conclude it McMahon...Rendell...Paxman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back